Central Cinema - Beighton

Stuart0742

Across the road from the Royal Oak PH on High Street,

isn't the pub still there?

Link to picturesheffield

Thanks Steve, I missed that photo on Picture Sheffield.

Yes the pub is still there, across the Rd from the pub used to be a car sales room in the 1970's, not sure nowadays

Yes the pub is still there, across the Rd from the pub used to be a car sales room in the 1970's, not sure nowadays

Looks like it was also a petrol station, 'Murco' I think

Link to Beighton's pubs

I have marked the Royal Oak on this aireal view,

what was the name of the PH/Inn that is marked on the old map?

Link to full map

Looks like it was also a petrol station, 'Murco' I think

Link to Beighton's pubs

I have marked the Royal Oak on this aireal view,

what was the name of the PH/Inn that is marked on the old map?

Link to full map

The only Pubs I can remember are the ones that are still there

Across the road from the Royal Oak PH on High Street,

isn't the pub still there?

Link to picturesheffield

I would say, comparing my original Picture sheffield photo and this aerial view

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swr16...ghton%20S20%201

&

Central Hall

That the rear part of the cinema still exists as part of the garage.

Quite a simple question, exactly where was the Central Cinema in Beighton, also referred to as Central Hall

See this Picture Sheffield Link

Central Hall

Have you got a date on that Central Cinema link from Picture Sheffield?

The picture is called Central HALL and not Central CINEMA and it is clear from the picture that the cinema is a converted village hall as was common in many places when cinema first arrived there in the early 20th century ( say around the time of WW1) but before purpose built cinemas were put up.

However, the vehicles in the picture indicate that this picture is much later, possibly 1960's, by which time most cinemas were proper buildings and due to the popularity of television most of them had "had their day" and were in decline.

Could this be a very early cinema which was never really modernised but which survived until relatively recent times?

"The Central Hall, High Street, Beighton 1913 - 1963, Burned down 1922 and rebuilt."

Link to .. www.thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cine.xml

Thanks for the info Steve,

Looks like it could have been a very early cinema (1922 rebuild) which was still around in the 1960's then.

I can't get your link to work thought, - something about a "parsing error, - not well formed"??

Not come across that one before!

Thanks for the info Steve,

Looks like it could have been a very early cinema (1922 rebuild) which was still around in the 1960's then.

I can't get your link to work thought, - something about a "parsing error, - not well formed"??

Not come across that one before!

Sorry Dave,

I have just found this on the wookie's site New Cinema Chart works with (IE5+ only)

:(

Here is a link to his site http://www.thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cinemas.html

The picture is called Central HALL and not Central CINEMA and it is clear from the picture that the cinema is a converted village hall as was common in many places when cinema first arrived there in the early 20th century ( say around the time of WW1) but before purpose built cinemas were put up.

However, the vehicles in the picture indicate that this picture is much later, possibly 1960's, by which time most cinemas were proper buildings and due to the popularity of television most of them had "had their day" and were in decline.

Could this be a very early cinema which was never really modernised but which survived until relatively recent times?

The Same photo ( Central Hall ) is in the book Images of England "Beighton" by Julia Siddons and Leonard Widdowson

The caption reads

Central Cinema 1963. The crowd of people gathered to await the arrival of Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner of Coronation St fame). The cinema was about to be reopened as a Bingo Hall

Here's a copy of The Wookies - New Cinema Chart.

I'm sure he wont object.

Cinemas_of_Sheffield_Location_Table.pdf

copyright - www.thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cine.xml

Brilliant link Steve, - it even has stuff about the Carlton cinema on Eastern Avenue near my mums house.

I was using Firefox to view Sheffield History, - I always do now since a spot of bother I had last January but I do still use IE8 for just about everything else.

Unfortunately if you click on a link in Firefox it quite rightly tries to open it as a seperate tab in Firefox.

But now I know it only opens in IE I can open it no trouble.

Mind you that Wookie cinema chart looks like being a good addition to our cinema topic.

The Same photo ( Central Hall ) is in the book Images of England "Beighton" by Julia Siddons and Leonard Widdowson

The caption reads

Central Cinema 1963. The crowd of people gathered to await the arrival of Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner of Coronation St fame). The cinema was about to be reopened as a Bingo Hall

The caption reads

A very popular character in her day

A common fate of many cinemas in the 1960's

The caption reads

I remember as a young lad listening at the air vents at the side of the old Cinema, as Pat Phoenix and I think her TV son Dennis was there also opened the bingo hall up. I don't think it stayed open long?

I remember as a young lad listening at the air vents at the side of the old Cinema, as Pat Phoenix and I think her TV son Dennis was there also opened the bingo hall up. I don't think it stayed open long?

Yes that's right, Pat Phoenix played Elsie Tanner while Philip Lowrie played her son Dennis Tanner.