ukelele lady

Don't tell me, I know this one.

You ordered fish

..and the pianist started playing...

There's a plaice for us

he he

Nice one Dave he he

Nice one Dave he he

When I said don't tell me I know this one I am sure I have got it from an old Morecambe & Wise sketch.

Something to do with catching fish from a river by playing "There's a plaice for us" (unfortunately plaice is a sea fish, which spoils it a bit) on saxophone.

This was followed by a sketch lowering speakers into the river and playing the fish Des O'Connor records, at which point the fish give up and jump into the fishermans keep net.

There's a place for us (correct title) is of course from the score of West Side Story (1942) by Leonard Bernstein. A brilliant piece of music.

When I said don't tell me I know this one I am sure I have got it from an old Morecambe & Wise sketch.

Something to do with catching fish from a river by playing "There's a plaice for us" (unfortunately plaice is a sea fish, which spoils it a bit) on saxophone.

This was followed by a sketch lowering speakers into the river and playing the fish Des O'Connor records, at which point the fish give up and jump into the fishermans keep net.

There's a place for us (correct title) is of course from the score of West Side Story (1942) by Leonard Bernstein. A brilliant piece of music.

I enjoyed it much better when P J Proby sang it. :wub:

Mine came on a chopping board/ bread board call it what you like , why?

Quite a while ago we went to the newly done up Dam House. They served us on a flat slab of something without any edges.

All very well until the juice from my steak started running off the edges.

I wasn't too bothered about their table, but I'd paid for the stuff so I would have liked the chance to eat it.

We've never been back.

Quite a while ago we went to the newly done up Dam House. They served us on a flat slab of something without any edges.

I wasn't too bothered about their table, but I'd paid for the stuff so I would have liked the chance to eat it.

We've never been back.

Exactly, they don't seem to realise how this can put people off.

I once ordered a chocolate fudge cake and cream in a restaurant in Sheffield.

You can just imagine the cream running into the cake making it all nice and moist.

Not at all, it came on a jaggered piece of slate with the cake at one end and

the cream at the other. The cream was a scoop ball of hard cream similer the the

butter cream you put on Christmas pud.

The distance between the cake and cream you would think that they had

been argueing in the kitchen.

We've never been back.

Serving food with a high liquid content on a flat slab! :wacko:

Whats wrong with best quality plates and dishes made in the Staffordshire potteries?

I bet the knife / fork / spoon they gave you wern't good quality Sheffield made ones either! :angry:

There's one pub to be commened but I don't know if I should tell or we might not get in the

next time we want to go.

They have the two for £5 , well with these we know you only get what you pay for but this place it is real proper food

and plenty of it.

There's the large yorkshire pud filled with a choice of sausage , roast ham, roast pork or roast beef and there's tons of

it. far too much for me.

With this comes peas, carrots and mashed potatoes , we're talking of a large Sunday lunch on a week day all for £2-50.

If you don't fancy that , there's the home made pie of the day or fish and chips or ham and egg with the usual chips and two

veg. Now that pub is always full at lunchtimes.

Forgot to tell you , it's the Peacock at Stannington but you must book. Yum Yum

Has anyone tried the new fish and chip restaurant yet at Catcliffe, very near Morrisons?

There was a write up recenctly in the Star which gave it good marks except for the decor.

It's a purpose built restaurant called Whitby's on the lines of the one at Whitby called the

Magpie. Although it doesn't have the pictures of the coast and fishermen hung on the

walls and why should it , we're miles away from the sea.

It has Marilyn and modern day pictures which to me looked ok hung in this modern

day restaurant.

It's menu is not too large but maybe it will expand as time goes on as it's only been open

just over two months. I had a lovely smoked salmon mouse for starter then of course

fish and chips .

The fish and the batter were first class but the chips let them down, they were far too

dry for my likeing. Not as good as the Magpie in Whitby but far better than

Harry Ramsdens.

Has anyone tried the new fish and chip restaurant yet at Catcliffe, very near Morrisons?

There was a write up recenctly in the Star which gave it good marks except for the decor.

It's a purpose built restaurant called Whitby's on the lines of the one at Whitby called the

Magpie. Although it doesn't have the pictures of the coast and fishermen hung on the

walls and why should it , we're miles away from the sea.

It has Marilyn and modern day pictures which to me looked ok hung in this modern

day restaurant.

It's menu is not too large but maybe it will expand as time goes on as it's only been open

just over two months. I had a lovely smoked salmon mouse for starter then of course

fish and chips .

The fish and the batter were first class but the chips let them down, they were far too

dry for my likeing. Not as good as the Magpie in Whitby but far better than

Harry Ramsdens.

Do they only do fish :(

Do they only do fish :(

I don't know, I never looked.

Usually these places do meat as well so at a guess I'd say yes.

There's one pub to be commened but I don't know if I should tell or we might not get in the

next time we want to go.

They have the two for £5 , well with these we know you only get what you pay for but this place it is real proper food

and plenty of it.

There's the large yorkshire pud filled with a choice of sausage , roast ham, roast pork or roast beef and there's tons of

it. far too much for me.

With this comes peas, carrots and mashed potatoes , we're talking of a large Sunday lunch on a week day all for £2-50.

If you don't fancy that , there's the home made pie of the day or fish and chips or ham and egg with the usual chips and two

veg. Now that pub is always full at lunchtimes.

Forgot to tell you , it's the Peacock at Stannington but you must book. Yum Yum

We set off to visit the Peacock a few weeks ago as a change from our usual eating place further up the village. We got out of the car in the car park and started walking toward the door. As one, my wife and I turned on our heels and walked back to the car.

Adjacent to the door is a large kitchen extractor. Out of it was blowing the most rancid frying smells imaginable. There was no way we could eat in there, no matter how lauded the cuisine.

We drove a few hundred yards further to our usual place, Minnies, (Rose & Crown not to be confused with the Crown & Glove). They don't do any two for three & six meals there but what you get is tasty & wholesome and worth paying a little bit more for. Their miixed grills on a hot cast iron skillit are devoid of lumps of fat and fill my tum, (that takes some doing).

HD