Eating out in Sheffield

ukelele lady

Wife is tiny, likes seafood or pizza so long as its ultra-ultra thin almost non-existent base; I'm 6 foot, just a Gnat's under 6 foot if the truth be told and I like meat and veggie. So we need somewhere that serves childs portions of seafood plus big baldy-man portions of meat - should be easy to cater for that :mellow:

Wife is tiny, likes seafood or pizza so long as its ultra-ultra thin almost non-existent base; I'm 6 foot, just a Gnat's under 6 foot if the truth be told and I like meat and veggie. So we need somewhere that serves childs portions of seafood plus big baldy-man portions of meat - should be easy to cater for that :mellow:

You would be going to separate restaurants then.

Try the Locke Fyne on Glossop Road across the road from the Hallamshire

Hospital good seafood. You'd have to stay in the carpark with a burger. :o

I think that must have changed over the years Bayleaf, I remember going

to a hen party at Tuckwoods some years ago, it might have been just

before it closed and there were plenty of booze flowing that night.

I found it a bit strange for a hen party to be held at Tuckwoods but

it all turned out to be a very good night.

Shame the marriage didn't last. :(

I'm going back 30-odd years, and times change. Perhaps they relaxed the rules when the Methodists changed their line on alcohol.

Not quite in Sheffield but just over the border in Derbyshire is the Coach and Horses pub in Dronfield.

Run by a lady from New Zealand, it serves excellent top quality pub food and to top it off it has a range of beers, both bottled and draught, like no other.

It has just received an award as a CAMRA (campaign for real ale) pub of the year and has several speciality beers.

It is also an outlet for Thornbridge Beers, which are brewed locally at Bakewell and are as excellent as their world famous tarts and puddings..

I had a couple of pints of Raven, - a dark ale, almost Guiness like in appearance but with a different taste. An excellent beer, and at 6.6% ABV one of the strongest.

Guest SuzyC

I once concussed myself at a Bootleg Beatles "do". It was at a Stoll Theatre on Westgate Road, Newcastle - we got some tickets very late and we were on the back row of the "Gods", I stood up to get a better view and head-butted the ceiling !

Stoll Theatres in Sheffield ? History of Stoll Theatres anyone ?

Last time I was in Sheffield was overcharged for a very mediocre meal. Here in rural Andalucia you can get a very passable 4 course meal, including beer and coffee for 8 euros, sometimes cheaper. This is why we are here, proper shops, can still go out and leave your door unlocked, friendly neighbours, etc. etc. In my heart I wish I was still in Sheffield but in reality it works much better here!!

Not strictly Sheffield, but "just up the road" at Tankersley is Taybarns

Taybarns

Yes I admit the atmosphere is a bit like a works canteen, but if you want a wide variety of of food, that's very good value you can't beat it!

It's a buffet system with a choice from:

Soup, Salad, Grill, Rotisserie, Tex Mex, Chip Shop, Pizza, Carvery, Pasta, Desserts.

You pay one price to enter, (as low as £5.99 before 5.30p.m) find a table, grab a plate and cutlery and go and help yourself!

You can chop and change, mix and match and have as much as you like.

If you try something, and want to try something different, just leave your plate on your table, get a clean one, get your food and chances are that when you get back your dirty plate has been cleared away.

My favourite is the carvery.

If you go, and you see someone with a "Sunday Lunch" piled high with yorkshire puddings and stuffing then it's probably me! lol

Not strictly Sheffield, but "just up the road" at Tankersley is Taybarns

Taybarns

Yes I admit the atmosphere is a bit like a works canteen, but if you want a wide variety of of food, that's very good value you can't beat it!

It's a buffet system with a choice from:

Soup, Salad, Grill, Rotisserie, Tex Mex, Chip Shop, Pizza, Carvery, Pasta, Desserts.

You pay one price to enter, (as low as £5.99 before 5.30p.m) find a table, grab a plate and cutlery and go and help yourself!

You can chop and change, mix and match and have as much as you like.

If you try something, and want to try something different, just leave your plate on your table, get a clean one, get your food and chances are that when you get back your dirty plate has been cleared away.

My favourite is the carvery.

If you go, and you see someone with a "Sunday Lunch" piled high with yorkshire puddings and stuffing then it's probably me! lol

Sounds like they've got everything, where abouts is this

from the Tankersley Manor?

Just had a meal at the Flaming Dragon at the Valley Entertainments near Meadowhall.

It's one of those Chinese places where you help yourself and go back for more if

you want to.

The food is ok compared to the Wokmania that used to operate on West Street.

It's also cleaner than the Wokmania [ now closed ]

These sort of serve yourself places are ok if you are just passing through , done

a bit of shopping etc but I would rather sit down to a proper Chinese meal with cloths

on the tables and be served by the staff.

Has anyone had a meal at the Milestone near the Kelham Island since it went on television

with Gorden Ramsey?

I've never been it because the outside puts me off, all painted in that horrilbe school

green. I've looked through the window but it looked very stark and basic to me but I suppose

the food is the main topic? What's it like?

The Sheffield Star has just done a write up of the Old Horns at Bradfield, we went recently and I agree

with everything they said.

The food is good , in nice surounds , good menu and a very good Sunday carvery.

It boasts of doing 400 servings on a good day, I can believe that as well.

We visited one Sunday lunch and having paid the bill of almost £90 not including drinks, we were

asked to leave the table because they needed it.

We picked our drinks up and had to stand in the crowded doorway because there were no where

else to sit or stand. One of our party was so annoyed he put his almost full pint on the bar and left.

Fast food or greed?

The Sheffield Star has just done a write up of the Old Horns at Bradfield, we went recently and I agree

with everything they said.

The food is good , in nice surounds , good menu and a very good Sunday carvery.

It boasts of doing 400 servings on a good day, I can believe that as well.

We visited one Sunday lunch and having paid the bill of almost £90 not including drinks, we were

asked to leave the table because they needed it.

We picked our drinks up and had to stand in the crowded doorway because there were no where

else to sit or stand. One of our party was so annoyed he put his almost full pint on the bar and left.

Fast food or greed?

So are we, and The Star, saying that the food is great but the service and hospitality are rubbish?

So are we, and The Star, saying that the food is great but the service and hospitality are rubbish?

We got the impression that once they'd took your money they wanted you out ready for the next lot.

We got the impression that once they'd took your money they wanted you out ready for the next lot.

We went to a restraunt like that in Rome last year, just outside The Vatican on the road that leads up into St. Peter's Square.

They got you in, took your order, and your money in a typical Italian panic (Mama Mia and a lot of arm waving gesticulation), One of them even found you a space at a table.

But after that they expected you to eat up and get out in about 10 minutes.

To be fair, due to their popular location and their exceptionally low prices for high quality Italian food (you could get a full 2 course meal for around 10 to 15 Euros) they were extremely busy.

We went to a restraunt like that in Rome last year, just outside The Vatican on the road that leads up into St. Peter's Square.

They got you in, took your order, and your money in a typical Italian panic (Mama Mia and a lot of arm waving gesticulation), One of them even found you a space at a table.

To be fair, due to their popular location and their exceptionally low prices for high quality Italian food (you could get a full 2 course meal for around 10 to 15 Euros) they were extremely busy.

Well I suppose we can't have it all ways.

Although I have just been to the Peacock at Stannington which also belongs to the same people

as the Old Horns and it is top marks for them. Booking is a must even at week day lunch, well worth

the journey.

I think I've been to that one Dave, a bit like a conveyor belt, but the food was good and not having to find a seat was welcome!

If you still like your fish and chips in newspaper here's the place to go , the Lock Fyne on

Glossop Road.

My self I wouldn't choose fish and chips in a place that sells crabs, crevettes , lobsters etc.

You can get fish and chips anywhere. There's not many seafood restaurants in Sheffield but I like this one.

The view out of theconservatory window used to be very good until this building was built which I think

belongs to the University.

The building was built to the right hand side of this picture which has cut out a huge part of the

Sheffield view.

If you still like your fish and chips in newspaper here's the place to go , the Lock Fyne on

Glossop Road.

My self I wouldn't choose fish and chips in a place that sells crabs, crevettes , lobsters etc.

You can get fish and chips anywhere. There's not many seafood restaurants in Sheffield but I like this one.

The view out of theconservatory window used to be very good until this building was built which I think

belongs to the University.

The building was built to the right hand side of this picture which has cut out a huge part of the

Sheffield view.

Is it real newspaper

Is it real newspaper

Is it real fish and chips?

Or has a relative of hers made them from papier-mache?

It would be difficult to tell the difference.

Neither me or Stuart are big fans of seafood.

Stuart won't eat anything out of the sea since an incident he had on a sea fishing trip as a kid.

I can cope with the fish, but not with the shellfish you mention. I put this down to the fact that when my mum was 6 months pregnant with me she went to Cleethorpes and had some shellfish and then spent a week in hospital with food poisoning.

So with your permission we will pass on this one and find a restraunt that serves meat rather than fish

To us, even a vegetarian option would be preferable.

Neither me or Stuart are big fans of seafood.

Stuart won't eat anything out of the sea since an incident he had on a sea fishing trip as a kid.

I can cope with the fish, but not with the shellfish you mention. I put this down to the fact that when my mum was 6 months pregnant with me she went to Cleethorpes and had some shellfish and then spent a week in hospital with food poisoning.

So with your permission we will pass on this one and find a restraunt that serves meat rather than fish

To us, even a vegetarian option would be preferable.

Daves correct I do not eat fish at all.

Ideally I only eat food that had 4 legs in its previous life before it became food, 2 legs at a push.

Daves correct I do not eat fish at all.

Ideally I only eat food that had 4 legs in its previous life before it became food, 2 legs at a push.

So, when in France, -

Frogs legs are OK (at a push) but forget the snails :wacko:

...and have an extra bottle of wine to wash it down lol

So many cats, so few recipes.

You need a Chinese cook book.

They like dog in China, so they probably do cat as well.

Sweet & Sour Alsatian isn't that much different, except for the meat source, from Sweet & Sour Siamese Cat. :wacko:

We took a visit to the new Bar & Grill in Leopold Square last week.

We went when it first opened and I must admit I was a bit impressed

we don't have many stylish English food restaurants in Sheffield or should I say we don't have ENOUGH

English food restaurants in Sheffield but my hubby likes their steak so we went again.

The first visit I couldn't fault, the food was good and the service was good . They also had a pianist entertaining

not that I go for stuff like that when I'm eating but I just thought I'd tell you.

This time round I ordered the same starter as last time which was two flat mushrooms covered with spinach

and topped with melted blue cheese. I didn't get it done the same way. I got one flat mushroom covered in spinach

sat on top of a huge chunk of toast [ It didn't say anything about toast ] with some sort of sauce poured over it.

Not the same.

Now for the best bit, they had ran out of ribs so I ordered fish and chips. The fish was good and we both had 9

chips each stacked in threes, they just looked like railway sleepers.

There were a time when they would scoop your chips onto the plate but now they are built on [ in threes ]

just like building bricks all touch with the human hand. Hubby says they use gloves, oh no they don't, I've seen

them do it on the chef programs.

Mine came on a chopping board/ bread board call it what you like , why?

I asked the waitress if the kitchen had ran out of plates, each time you put your knife and fork to the uneven

board it started to wobble. Crazy.

When will they stop trying to out smart each other by yet another gimmick which the customer doesn't want.

What next , soup on a flat plate?

They also had a pianist entertaining

I ordered fish and chips. The fish was good

Don't tell me, I know this one.

You ordered fish

..and the pianist started playing...

There's a plaice for us

he he