Eating out in Sheffield

ukelele lady

Is it possible to have a site on restaurants and eating places in Sheffield please?

New places have opened up in Sheffield as some have closed down, I'd like to hear

the comments from diners who have eaten in various pubs cafes and restaurants

just like you do when you search the net for comments of hotels abroad before you book.

I do look on another site for diners comments but it would be nice to have our own

eating out comments. ;-)

Is it possible to have a site on restaurants and eating places in Sheffield please?

New places have opened up in Sheffield as some have closed down, I'd like to hear

the comments from diners who have eaten in various pubs cafes and restaurants

just like you do when you search the net for comments of hotels abroad before you book.

I do look on another site for diners comments but it would be nice to have our own

eating out comments. ;-)

Where do you go to eat, where's the best place, where should we avoid.

Where do you go to eat, where's the best place, where should we avoid.

Obviously Mrs Miggins Pie Shoppe and Roy's Bistro, South Road, Walkley but I think we should keep this in the realm of eating places that are currently open.

Had a very nice lunch in "Chilango" in the upper level of the Oasis at Meadowhall the other day. It's a mexican restaurant that has two places in London and the one in Meadowhall.

Very small menu, no desserts or coffees but what they do is very nice, freshly prepared, and not run of the mill. The prices aren't bad for Meadowhall either. £5.40 for a Chicken Burrito, which is a large wrap stuffed with rice, marinated chicken, black or pinto beans, salsa, cheese and salad, and £1.60 for a "bottomless" soft drink.

The staff were very friendly and helpfull.

Nice to see a positive review first up. Quite a drive for me obviously but I'm looking forward to the positive reviews more so than the negative ones.

Have you tried Mama's and Leonies on Norfolk Street? We went there the other night on our way to a Runrig concert at the City Hall and their Spaghetti Bolonaise is delicious. The place was packed which is always a good sign and their food is freshly cooked. Definitely worth a visit. :rolleyes: Incidentally Runrig were fantastic, did anyone else go to see them?

Have you tried Mama's and Leonies on Norfolk Street? We went there the other night on our way to a Runrig concert at the City Hall and their Spaghetti Bolonaise is delicious. The place was packed which is always a good sign and their food is freshly cooked. Definitely worth a visit. :rolleyes: Incidentally Runrig were fantastic, did anyone else go to see them?

Fully endorse Ellesse's suggestion of Mama's and Leonies. Excellent home made Italian food, very popular with people going to the Sheffield Theatres (Lyceum, Crucible City Hall) due to its location.

Also went to City Hall the other night but to see the Bootleg Beatles not Runrig.

Unfortunately I didn't get to have my tea in Mamas and Leonnies first due to the rushing about to get from work, get ready to go out and get to the City Hall. :(

Fully endorse Ellesse's suggestion of Mama's and Leonies. Excellent home made Italian food, very popular with people going to the Sheffield Theatres (Lyceum, Crucible City Hall) due to its location.

Also went to City Hall the other night but to see the Bootleg Beatles not Runrig.

Unfortunately I didn't get to have my tea in Mamas and Leonnies first due to the rushing about to get from work, get ready to go out and get to the City Hall. :(

I once concussed myself at a Bootleg Beatles "do". It was at a Stoll Theatre on Westgate Road, Newcastle - we got some tickets very late and we were on the back row of the "Gods", I stood up to get a better view and head-butted the ceiling !

Stoll Theatres in Sheffield ? History of Stoll Theatres anyone ?

I once concussed myself at a Bootleg Beatles "do". It was at a Stoll Theatre on Westgate Road, Newcastle - we got some tickets very late and we were on the back row of the "Gods", I stood up to get a better view and head-butted the ceiling !

Stoll Theatres in Sheffield ? History of Stoll Theatres anyone ?

Audience at the City Hall at the back were a rough, rowdy lot.

Drunk before it started (Why has the City Hall now got a policy on allowing sale of alcohol all the way through its performances, - bad move) and made a lot of noise all the way through it.

All of them looked like students too young to actually remember who the real Beatles were and they were more than likely the sort to walk out of the City Hall into Barkers Pool and try to urinate on the Cenotaph :o

Anyway, - enough of that at least there are some really nice places to go out for a civilised meal in Sheffield.

Having being inspired by this topic we were in town today shopping in the sales and as it was rather cold and wet we decieded to have our dinner in Mama and Leonies. First time we have been in for just over a year.

Just me and MrsH so a table fot 2 was in order. Staff and service were excellent. It was dinnertime so it was busy but not overly so.

We had a litre of house red wine, a minestrone soup each and a lasagne verde each, all washed down (after the wine) with a coffee each.

Toatal cost was under £50 and it was an excellent well cooked and most enjoyable meal.

We will have to try and go there a bit more often.

Having being inspired by this topic we were in town today shopping in the sales and as it was rather cold and wet we decieded to have our dinner in Mama and Leonies. First time we have been in for just over a year.

Just me and MrsH so a table fot 2 was in order. Staff and service were excellent. It was dinnertime so it was busy but not overly so.

We had a litre of house red wine, a minestrone soup each and a lasagne verde each, all washed down (after the wine) with a coffee each.

Toatal cost was under £50 and it was an excellent well cooked and most enjoyable meal.

We will have to try and go there a bit more often.

I'm impressed Dave and at lunchtime lol

I'm impressed Dave and at lunchtime lol

Yeah well,

If theres a litre of Italian red wine to be supped ;-)

..and we could drink as much as we wanted as we went to town on the Supertram so we weren't driving lol

Had a nice meal one evening in the Wig and Pen. It's obviously been extended

over the years, we were upstairs over looking Paradise Square.

The menu is not a vast one but what you get is different and first class.

I will definately go again [ if he takes me that is] he he

The Old Horns has much inproved since it changed hands.

It is now clean and newly decorated and they have a very good menu

for just about any occasion. There's a buffet menu for parties ,snack menu

and the general menu.

I chose off the general menu and what I had was good but far too

much, if you are a big eater that's the place to go.

Being in a party of ten I must say we all received our meals at the same time

which some places struggle to achieve.

Well done to the Old Horns at Bradfield. lol

Locke Fyne [not sure how it's spelt] is the place if you like seafood.

Went one snowy evening, had six oysters on ice for starters.

Very pleasant atmosphere, Tuesday night is their mussels night and

they are a lot cheaper than eating them in Belgium.

It used to be Hannarans before. When you park around the back you

can see what an old building it is, a few big houses knocked into one.

I must take my camera next time.

I'd probably just order for ten for me and a snacklette for the Tiny Wifelette, who, it has to be said, has a new, shorter and smarter haircut today.

Hi everyone, sorry i havent contributed to any topic since dad {tsavo} passed away but thought i would add my bit to this one.

We regularly went to an italian called Portofinos on i think Abbeydale rd until it closed down a couple of years ago. It re opened as an english

restaurant called Bayleaf or something like that. Anyway, that did not last long and Portofinos reopened around August las year. Same staff, same menu and excellent as usual. My daughter and hubby are very particular about what they eat and they couldnt get enough. Its not particularly cheap but well worth spending that little bit extra. :rolleyes:

Has anyone eaten at the Old Monk on Norfolk street?

I've got mixed feelings about the place but I'd love to

hear someone's opinion of it.

Has anyone eaten at the Old Monk on Norfolk street?

I've got mixed feelings about the place but I'd love to

hear someone's opinion of it.

Has anyone eaten an Old Monk on Norfolk street?

I've got mixed feelings about it; sure it was meant to be Roast Beef with all the trimmings; it was the chewy-cassock that made me think ...

-----------------------------------------

Not an overly serious posting he he

Where can I get Mock Turtle soup with Hovis crutons, Larks Tongue in Aspic, chips and peas followed by Black Forest Gateau ?

Not overly serious ...

Where can I get Mock Turtle soup with Hovis crutons, Larks Tongue in Aspic, chips and peas followed by Black Forest Gateau ?

Not overly serious ...

Sounds like a Mrs. Miggins speciality that one lol

I see the Wokmania on West Street has closed down.

I'm not suprised, the last time I went the tables needed a good wipe

they were so sticky. It took three staff to open my bottle of wine,

they hadn't a clue, I could have drank it in the time they took.

It's a large place so it makes you wonder who the next proprietor

will be, but it's in a prime spot.

I went to the London Club on Surrey Street a few weeks ago, not bad.

Some say it used to be Tuckwoods but if I remember Tuckwoods

correctly you went upstairs to it. This London Club is down in the

basement.

I was surprised how many younger people use this place.

The food was good and good atmosphere. They have now started

opening at lunch times. [ no I'm not getting paid for saying this ] lol

I went to the London Club on Surrey Street a few weeks ago, not bad.

Some say it used to be Tuckwoods but if I remember Tuckwoods

correctly you went upstairs to it. This London Club is down in the

basement.

I was surprised how many younger people use this place.

The food was good and good atmosphere. They have now started

opening at lunch times. [ no I'm not getting paid for saying this ] lol

Tuckwoods was upstairs as you say. It also suffered from not being licensed, because the building was owned by the Methodist church and the lease did not allow alcohol to be served.

Tuckwoods was upstairs as you say. It also suffered from not being licensed, because the building was owned by the Methodist church and the lease did not allow alcohol to be served.

I think that must have changed over the years Bayleaf, I remember going

to a hen party at Tuckwoods some years ago, it might have been just

before it closed and there were plenty of booze flowing that night.

I found it a bit strange for a hen party to be held at Tuckwoods but

it all turned out to be a very good night.

Shame the marriage didn't last. :(