Sixties Pop Group

DaveH

So here are the questions based on the following 2 pictures

Obviously I like the second picture best because there's a traction engine in it ;-)

Which sixties group is this?

Name their 2 hits from 1964

What was unusual about this group? (fairly obvious really)

They were NOT a "MerseyBeat" group, and as the topic title suggests, not from Sheffield either, so with which British city were they associated?

What connection do the group have with the City of Sheffield?

Which sixties group is this? Applejacks

Name their 2 hits from 1964 Like Dreamers Do/Tell Me When/

What was unusual about this group? (fairly obvious really) Female Bass Player

They were NOT a "MerseyBeat" group, and as the topic title suggests, not from Sheffield either, so with which British city were they associated? Birmingham

What connection do the group have with the City of Sheffield? Megan Davies (born Megan Kelso Davies, 25 March 1944, Sheffield, Yorkshire), bass (from early 1961)

Which sixties group is this? Applejacks

Name their 2 hits from 1964 Like Dreamers Do/Tell Me When/

What was unusual about this group? (fairly obvious really) Female Bass Player

They were NOT a "MerseyBeat" group, and as the topic title suggests, not from Sheffield either, so with which British city were they associated? Birmingham

What connection do the group have with the City of Sheffield? Megan Davies (born Megan Kelso Davies, 25 March 1944, Sheffield, Yorkshire), bass (from early 1961)

Top prize to Meersbrook for solving that one, obviously shares the same taste in music as me

It is indeed The Applejacks,

Their first, best know and biggest hit was "Tell Me When" and their follow up, "Like Dreamers Do" was a Lennon / McCartney composition which they had given them. The Fab four themselves used it in their infamous "Decca Audition session" (where they were turned down and no recording of this song by The Beatles was released until Anthology ! came out in 1995.

Megan Davies (which I think is pronounced Mee-gan rather than the more usual Meh-gan from the recording of her 1965 marriage to the bands drummer Gerry Freeman) was their Bass player.

In the sixties to have a female instrumentalist was quite unusual, - the only other female bass player of note is Suzy Quatro, - and she didn't have hits until 10 years later. The only other sixties group with a well documented instrumentalist was The Honeycombs with their drummer Honey Lantree.

The group were actually from Solihull and they were known as the "Solihull Sound". As Solihull is part of the west midland conurbation which is Birmingham I will accept that answer, - in fact in the press at the time the "Solihull sound" was lumped together with a load of other Birmingham based groups and referred to collectively as "Brum Beat"

..and the Sheffield Connection,

Megan was indeed born in Sheffield as Meersbrook states in his answer.

As such she is a "Sheffield Lass" and i think she should be included in our list of local celebrities.

Gosh, I'm a youth ! Strange my interest is in Victorian stuff ...

The 1860's are Victorian, but the 1960's are neo-Elizabethan, as is the present decade lol