Tramway and Transport Cap badges

Guest Whaley Ash

Guest Whaley Ash

Hello all

I'm trying to ascertain whether the standard Sheffield Corporation Tramways cap badge illustrated below was replaced during the later years of the tramway with the second badge illustrated, or whether Tramway Motormen and Conductors continued to wear the 'tramway' cap badge until the demise of the tramway system. Can anyone help with recollections or even photographs?

Ashley

Guest sammyopisite

Hello all

I'm trying to ascertain whether the standard Sheffield Corporation Tramways cap badge illustrated below was replaced during the later years of the tramway with the second badge illustrated, or whether Tramway Motormen and Conductors continued to wear the 'tramway' cap badge until the demise of the tramway system. Can anyone help with recollections or even photographs?

Ashley

The second badge was still the cap badge when I left STD in 67 and the circular badge was a drivers merit badge for 3 years good service and it was gold/bronze for 5 years conductors had a chevron and two chevrons on the sleeve forearm so it seems as though they were carried on after the trams had finished

Guest Whaley Ash

The second badge was still the cap badge when I left STD in 67 and the circular badge was a drivers merit badge for 3 years good service and it was gold/bronze for 5 years conductors had a chevron and two chevrons on the sleeve forearm so it seems as though they were carried on after the trams had finished

Sorry, I probably didn't make my question clear. What I'm trying to ascertain, is whether the second badge was ever worn by tramway staff, or if they always wore the first badge. The first badge is pretty rare so I'm guessing that they were all replaced in the 30s or 40s and that everyone wore the second badge, whether tram or bus. However, that's me guessing rather than real evidence :rolleyes: