John Henry Porter

Guest babybluejojo

Guest babybluejojo

HIya

Not sure if this is the right place to write this but thought I would give it a try (and I apologise now if this is wrong of me), just hoping someone can help me.

I am trying to trace my youngest son's paternal side of family (Porter's). I have got back as far as follows (starting with nearest) going back as far as I have - I hope there is someone out there that can fill in the blanks for me :D

Dean Lindsay Porter (b: May 1965)

His mum and dad are

Elaine Margaret Battersby (b: May 1947/m: Jan 1964)

John Henry Porter (b: 1946)

(Wedding cert gives address as Farquar St as address that John was living at when he got married to Elaine, which I have traced the family back by going thro the electoral rolls to find other siblings etc. Wedding cert also lists his dad as John Henry Porter and on the electoral rolls there are certain years where both JH Porter Snr and Jnr are living there)

John Henry Porter Jnr's mum and dad are

John Henry Porter (m: 1928) - no birth or death details have been found yet

Evelyn Hadley (b: 1907) - I have found death details from looking in the electoral rolls but don't have this information to hand at the moment.

John and Evelyn also had the following children

Gerald Porter (b: 1929)

Marion Porter (b:1930)

Jeffrey Porter (b: 1931)

Mavis Porter (b: 1932)

Jean Porter (b: 1933)

Bernard Porter (b: 1934)

Shirley Porter (b: 1936)

Joyce Porter (b: 1937)

Leila Porter (b: 1939)

Marlene Porter (b: 1940)

Ann Porter (b: 1943)

and then John Henry Porter Jnr

I am doing this research for my youngest son who is getting adopted next year and I want it for his Life Story book so he knows who his biological family are. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me tracing this back or contact from anyone who is related to any of the people mentioned above who would be willing to help me.

Thanking you in advance.

I note that the PORTER-BATTERSBY marriage was registered in Chesterfield and the PORTER-HADLEY marriage was registered in Rotherham. To make definite progress following these lines back the earlier marriage certificate would be useful to give us the fathers' names.

I can't find a Farquhar Street - can you tell us where it is or was?

Although it's not the PORTER line, I think there is a WW1 service record (at Ancestry) for Elaine Battersby's grandfather, Albert.

Hugh

Guest babybluejojo

Hi Hugh

Thank you for your reply.

I already have the cert for Battersby and Porter marriage and that is where the info I listed above was taken from.

Farquar St is a street in Maltby Rotherham. As I said in my previous post I traced them thro the years at this address but then they moved. Don't know where.

I as of yet have not got the Cert for marriage of Porter/Hadley, this was next on my adgenda when I had the money. I have so many certificates to get but no money to get them at the mo. I just hope that I can achieve this before the adoption goes through.

I am not sure of Albert being in the family. I have not found that yet. Thougth there was Albert an Uncle but not Grandfather. Though I may be wrong. I will have to research this further.

Thank you so much for what you have already done and any futher info that any one can give me.

Hi Hugh

Thank you for your reply.

I already have the cert for Battersby and Porter marriage and that is where the info I listed above was taken from.

Farquar St is a street in Maltby Rotherham. As I said in my previous post I traced them thro the years at this address but then they moved. Don't know where.

I as of yet have not got the Cert for marriage of Porter/Hadley, this was next on my adgenda when I had the money. I have so many certificates to get but no money to get them at the mo. I just hope that I can achieve this before the adoption goes through.

I am not sure of Albert being in the family. I have not found that yet. Thougth there was Albert an Uncle but not Grandfather. Though I may be wrong. I will have to research this further.

Thank you so much for what you have already done and any futher info that any one can give me.

Hi, Have been having a look through, is there any history of John Henry Snr being involved in the water/canal boat industry, have found one that matches but to be sure we really need the marriage cert, if it matches, then JH Snr was born in 1892 Beverley. The barges used to be worked from Hull to Sheffield passing Doncaster and Rotherham en route.

Guest babybluejojo

Hiya

I have not yet managed to get the cert but it is one of the first ones that I am going to get along with my grandad's original cert (he was adopted in the late 1920's but have managed to find his original birth entry). If this is the correct person you are looking at then he married late around the age of 36 as he married (if my research is correct) in July Quarter 1928 to Evelyn Hadley who would have been about 21 at the time. He is listed on his son's marriage cert as Miner, assuming at Maltby mine. I have not been able to find any information as yet of anything to do with water/canal. But when I get the cert I will post it on here so you can see if this is relavant or not.

Thanks

Jo

Hi, Have been having a look through, is there any history of John Henry Snr being involved in the water/canal boat industry, have found one that matches but to be sure we really need the marriage cert, if it matches, then JH Snr was born in 1892 Beverley. The barges used to be worked from Hull to Sheffield passing Doncaster and Rotherham en route.

Guest babybluejojo

I have just hunted out the marriage cert between John Henry Porter Jnr and Elaine Battersby (my son's paternal Grandparents) hoping it helps the details are as follows (Edited) :-

When Married: Jan 1964 at Sheffield

Groom Name: John Henry Porter

Groom Age: 18

Groom Profession: Brickmaker

Groom Address: Farquhar Road, Maltby

Groom's Father Name: John Henry Porter

Groom's Father Profession: Miner

Bride Name: Elaine Margaret Battersby

Bride Age: 16

Bride Profession: Stainless Steel Buffer

Bride Address: Rainbow Grove, Hackenthorpe

Bride Father Name: Cyril Battersby

Bride Father Profession: Fettler

Don't know if this helps anyone who can help me.

Will post John Henry Porter and Evelyn Hadley marriage cert info when I get it.

Jo

Guest babybluejojo

Now I am a little confused regarding Groom Father info on the Porter/Battersby Marriage cert. I now have the Porter/Hadley cert and the info goes as follows:-

When Married: August 1928

Groom Name: John Porter

Groom Age: 49

Condition: Widower

Groom Profession: Labourer

Groom Address: Beresford Rd

Groom's Father Name: George Porter

Groom's Father Profession: Labourer

Bride Name: Evelyn Hadley

Bride Age: 22

Condition: Spinster

Bride Profession: N/A

Bride Address: Beresford Rd (But listed a few doors down)

Bride Father Name: William Hadley (dec)

Bride Father Profession: Iron Moulder

What has confused me is that if in 1964 he was listed as a Miner and on this cert he is listed as a labourer! This would make him being a Miner at 89! Ok so mining may have been his last occupation and that is why it is listed on the 1964 cert but I would have thought it would have said Retired on it? Any ideas anyone?

Now I am a little confused regarding Groom Father info on the Porter/Battersby Marriage cert. I now have the Porter/Hadley cert and the info goes as follows:-

What has confused me is that if in 1964 he was listed as a Miner and on this cert he is listed as a labourer! This would make him being a Miner at 89! Ok so mining may have been his last occupation and that is why it is listed on the 1964 cert but I would have thought it would have said Retired on it? Any ideas anyone?

As an ex-miner he was probably proud of his profession and still called himself a miner. Retired would have been his status, not profession, as in 'retired miner'.

Guest babybluejojo

Its just in 1928 he is listed as a Labourer at the age of 49 and in 1964 he is listed as a miner! Would they have taken him on in his 50's to do mining? It surprises me if they do.

As an ex-miner he was probably proud of his profession and still called himself a miner. Retired would have been his status, not profession, as in 'retired miner'.

Hello, no he was not a retired miner he was a miner at 89, he is my grandfather and i promise you he was working as a miner at 89. he was naughty as he used to lie about his age, he died at age 99 in an unfortunate accident.

hoep this helps, leila yates (porter) is my mum

hello, they are still in maltby as are a lot of the family. leila porter moved to doncater in 1961. john porter snt died aged 99.

Hello

if you would like some information message me, John |Henry Porter jnr is my uncle, though i have no contact I do know some of the family history. happy to help. My mum is leila porter, grandad john henry porter snr ('-')

Guest babybluejojo

Hello

if you would like some information message me, John |Henry Porter jnr is my uncle, though i have no contact I do know some of the family history. happy to help. My mum is leila porter, grandad john henry porter snr ('-')

Hiya,

Sorry not to have got back to you before but this is the first time that it has alerted me to the fact that someone has replied!!!!! (Should get emails from here without having to come to the site but for some reason they have not been coming through.)

I would dearly love to have contact with you to find out any information that you may have that would be relevant to the tree. I have also had some information from someone called Tina who is niece to John Henry Porter Jnr (b:1945) but she could not give me much information about her Uncle. The reason I am doing this is for my youngest son for his family tree as he is in foster care. He was going to be adopted by the family he is living will but the adoption has now been taken "off the table". Any information you could give me would be much appreciated and if you would be willing to meet with me in a cafe etc that would be great. My email address is babybluejojo@yahoo.co.uk if you would like to contact me more directly. I can also tell you how my son is related to your family too.

Thanks

Josie