Board Schools of Sheffield

Stuart0742

Thanks for the picture SteveHB didn't realise at first that it was interactive.It bought back many memories of where I used to live (a tower block now a house),and the park keepers hut where we painted a cricket wicket and the recreation ground where we had 20+ aside footy matches on a Sunday until beer took over and last not least my old classroom.

Gleadless Road School, Heeley (later re named Anns Road School then Anns Grove, before it's closure)

I have recently been told that the Heeley Development Trust have taken over

part of the old Anns Grove school,

also came across some interior photos on the 28 DaysLater site

Lots of information about Board Schools in general and Sharrow Lane School in particular on the page linked to below. May get missed by being in "Sheffield People Reunited"

Lots of information about Board Schools in general and Sharrow Lane School in particular on the page linked to below. May get missed by being in "Sheffield People Reunited"

http://www.sheffield...ow-lane-school/

I have now transferred 'Sharrow Lane School' over to the 'Sheffield Schools' section.

Just for the record in this thread:  It seems my Great-aunt Ellen Wilson did her probationary teaching period at "Sheffield Crookesmoor Board School" around 1883/4 and then taught at Lowfield Board School from at least 1886 to 1889 when she transferred to Netherthorpe from 1890.  The Inspector's report of January 18th 1894 reads:  "The school of which Miss Wilson is the head teacher is most efficiently managed.  All the classes have been thoroughly trained in {illegible!}".   I wonder if she really was the head teacher of the whole school or just of the Infants, which I think were her speciality.  Anybody any wiser than I am?

She lived at 140 St Stephen's Road in 1886 and later at 15, Grange Road, Sharrow. 

As an ex-teacher, I have worked in a number of Board schools.  Hunter’s Bar, Malin Bridge, Rivelin and Meersbrrok Bank.  

I also know of others - Porter Croft (formerly Pomona Street), Ann’s Grove, Sharrow (now old Sharrow), Nether Edge

As modern buildings, they are flawed due to high ceilings, leaky guttering and challenging temperature controls!  I do love them though.  Living history at its finest