Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph Who Was Who 1855-1986

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

As some of you will know, for some time now I have been helping in the quest to compile a Who Was Who of the old Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph --a venture started by the late Peter Harvey --and I should be very grateful to anyone who can help locate any ex-Telegraph reporter or sub-editor who has not yet been reached. There is now a Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph Group site on Facebook as part of the quest, and extensive efforts have been made to find info on old time Telegraph folk. We have been very successful in many respects, and people have been located all over the world. But there are still many still "missing".

Great background from Chris Hobbs

Would be useful if we knew who was on the list already please.

Either a list or a link.

Sorry, but no list is yet available for general circulation --in any event, permission has to be obtained from everyone on it, and, unfortunately, some people already contacted don't want their info on line at this stage. I was hoping that by having another go at publicising the quest for names on here there might be a chance of reaching people (old journalists especially) from outside Sheffield, abroad even, who might be googling the name Sheffield or the name of the paper and chance upon this quest (and be able to add genuine info) through Sheffield History.

A list was started some years ago by the late Peter Harvey, and it now contains around 400-500 names and many of these with biographical details. The ultimate plan is to deposit the finished (or near finished as possible) list in the Sheffield City Library archives for future historians to use, for it will add up to a sort of history of the paper. But much of it is not yet on disc or in a form that will enable it to be circulated --Peter did not have a computer.

If you look up earlier references to the Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph on Sheffield History you will find that some names have already been mentioned, including all the paper's editors and some other senior journalists.

Some names can also be found on Sheffield Forum, and, indeed, on Facebook where there is a Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph Group. This will be of interest to anyone with Telegraph links.

At this stage it is very much a case of encouraging people to not simply mention names of journalists, but, if possible, put them in contact with this site. This would mean that anyone requiring privacy at this stage could be accommodated. Later it may all be put into general circulation, but in any event I suspect that some good yarns will find their way onto Sheffield History --if there is some reaction!

Of course, many of the people already found are well known old Telegraph names --people like John Motson, who has been mentioned. Many people who have gone on to achieve fame in journalism and the media started out on the old Sheffield Telegraph. For it was a very special newspaper.

Sorry, but no list is yet available for general circulation --in any event, permission has to be obtained from everyone on it, and, unfortunately, some people already contacted don't want their info on line at this stage. I was hoping that by having another go at publicising the quest for names on here there might be a chance of reaching people (old journalists especially) from outside Sheffield, abroad even, who might be googling the name Sheffield or the name of the paper and chance upon this quest (and be able to add genuine info) through Sheffield History.

Now it makes sense. Thank you OCSK.

Hi OCS

I was at the Sheffield Local Archives - Surrey Street this week looking for a murder that occurred on Crookesmoor Road in June 1980 - still looking I'm afraid!

Anyway in the Sheffield Telegraph dated 6th June 1980 there was a great supplement celebrating 125 years of the Telegraph and its predecessors. Among the contributors was the great Peter Harvey who ran a lenghly article on local journalists who went onto greater things elsewhere (with photos). Well worth a look if you get the chance!

All freely available and posted with OCSK's knowledge :

George Edward Stembridge, Manager and Sec. Sheffield Daily Telegraph, home 20 Thornsett Road, 1911

Sir W. C. Leng, Proprietor & Publisher Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 17 High Street; printing office Aldine Court, 1893

S Gardner Harrison, Cheif Repoter at the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 17 High Street, 1893

John Hyslop, Sub-Editor Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 104 Woodhead Road, 1893

David M. Sutherland, Editor Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 54 Riverdale Road, 1911

Sir W. C. Leng, Proprietor & Publisher Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 17 High Street & Aldine Court 1911 (Obviously)

Christopher David Leng, Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 17 High Street; home Sandygate Road, Sandygate, 1911

John L. Middleton, Organiser Sheffield Daily Telegraph, home 54 Lynmouth Road, 1911

Charles Clifford, Newspaper Proprietor Sir W. C. Leng & Co. Sheffield Telegraph, home Whirlow, Ecclesfield Road, Parkhead, 1911

Sir W. C. Leng, Proprietor & Publisher Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 11 High Street & Aldine Court 1919

George Edward Stembridge, Manager and Sec. Sheffield Daily Telegraph, home 20 Thornsett Road, 1919

Christopher David Leng, Editor Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 11 High Street; home Sandygate Road, Sandygate, 1919

Lieut.-Col. Charles Clifford, JP; Newspaper Proprietor Sir W. C. Leng & Co. Sheffield Telegraph, home Whirlow, Ecclesfield Road South, Parkhead, 1919

Sir W. C. Leng, Proprietor & Publisher Sheffield Telegraph Limited & Co., 11 High Street & Aldine Court 1925

George Edward Stembridge, JP; Manager and Sec. Sheffield Daily Telegraph, home 20 Thornsett Road, 1925

I have an ancestor called James Norman Wain Morris born 1906 in Sheffield who I am told is believed to have worked as a reporter for the Sheffield Morning Telegraph. Don't really know when - sometime between 1920 & 1950 or so.

Any chance of finding if he is on the list please?

John

Hi OCS

I was at the Sheffield Local Archives - Surrey Street this week looking for a murder that occurred on Crookesmoor Road in June 1980 - still looking I'm afraid!

Anyway in the Sheffield Telegraph dated 6th June 1980 there was a great supplement celebrating 125 years of the Telegraph and its predecessors. Among the contributors was the great Peter Harvey who ran a lenghly article on local journalists who went onto greater things elsewhere (with photos). Well worth a look if you get the chance!

Yes, Peter was indeed a legend --and a great guy, too. Two friends of his (one of them being me) helped him compile his list by keeping an eye out for bits and pieces about old journalists as we scoured the old newspapers; and, after he died, we took on the job of seeking to add to his list. We have tracked down people all over the world, and substantially added to Peter's list. But we believe there are still old Telegraph people, and families and friends of old Telegraph scribes, who have not yet been reached. We are hoping that these people will just happen to drop in on this site!

I have an ancestor called James Norman Wain Morris born 1906 in Sheffield who I am told is believed to have worked as a reporter for the Sheffield Morning Telegraph. Don't really know when - sometime between 1920 & 1950 or so.

Any chance of finding if he is on the list please?

John

James Norman Wain Morris does not appear on Peter's list, and we shall try to check if anyone of that name worked for the Sheffield Telegraph. It may be difficult finding out, for up to around the late 1950s very few reporters were allowed by-lines and remained anonymous to the public. Many of the firm's employment documentation and records for pre-war years have long been lost. This is one reason why we hope for friends and relatives to come forward, especially if they can supply such details as the years when the person worked for the paper, when he or she died, etc. The death of a local journalist would normally prompt at least a paragraph in the paper, but without a date to work on it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Another source of info is when a well known journalist gets married, there is often a report --and that provides confirmation of certain essential facts. In the case of Mr Morris, do you know when he died?

James Norman Wain Morris does not appear on Peter's list, and we shall try to check if anyone of that name worked for the Sheffield Telegraph. It may be difficult finding out, for up to around the late 1950s very few reporters were allowed by-lines and remained anonymous to the public. Many of the firm's employment documentation and records for pre-war years have long been lost. This is one reason why we hope for friends and relatives to come forward, especially if they can supply such details as the years when the person worked for the paper, when he or she died, etc. The death of a local journalist would normally prompt at least a paragraph in the paper, but without a date to work on it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Another source of info is when a well known journalist gets married, there is often a report --and that provides confirmation of certain essential facts. In the case of Mr Morris, do you know when he died?

Unfortunately James Norman Wain Morris & family are believed to have emigrated in 1958. He married Miriam White on 23 Dec 1939 but that took place at Nottingham where Miriam was from. So they are probably no help.

Thanks anyway, John

Unfortunately James Norman Wain Morris & family are believed to have emigrated in 1958. He married Miriam White on 23 Dec 1939 but that took place at Nottingham where Miriam was from. So they are probably no help.

Thanks anyway, John

Recent deaths of ex-Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph journalists include Frazer Wright, the former Business Editor, and Benny Hill, the Sports Editor from 1976 to 1986.