Mystery Building

hilldweller

Motoring down the top of Glossop Road this morning I glanced to the right down Ashgate Road and noticed a strange building that I hadn't noticed before. It stands near the junction with Glossop Road on the south side of Ashgate Road and has every appearance of once being a theatre or cinema. Does anyone know what this building was/is ? It's painted two tone blue !

I've tried several times to post a Google SV link to the building but failed miserably each time. Anyone help ?

I think it used to be a printing works.

I think it's this building the City Libraries were hoping to turn into a replacement for the present Broomhill Branch, but I think it involved some kind of site swap with a developer, and it seems to have stalled, like so many others at present.

It's been a few things in its time, but up to the 1970's (80's?) it was a printing works owned by a firm called Short.

I think it's this building the City Libraries were hoping to turn into a replacement for the present Broomhill Branch, but I think it involved some kind of site swap with a developer, and it seems to have stalled, like so many others at present.

I think I read here on SH somewhere that it was once part of Kennings Rolls Royce garage the main part of which was across Glossop Rd on Peel Street.

I think I read here on SH somewhere that it was once part of Kennings Rolls Royce garage the main part of which was across Glossop Rd on Peel Street.

That's right. After that I've a vague recollection it became a cafe. Not sure what it is now.

Wouldn't that style of building be referred to as Art Deco ?

There are several very similar buildings in the "In Memory Of Sheffields Cinemas" book, described as Moorish or English Renaissance style, whatever that means. I wonder if the building was originally going to be a cinema. It certainly looks like one with the parapet and "booking-office" in front !

HD