Albert

Guest Hank

About where Witherspoons is now a bit of a dump but a nice pint. As I remember got took over by the Rockers, Heavy Metal brigade.

About where Witherspoons is now a bit of a dump but a nice pint. As I remember got took over by the Rockers, Heavy Metal brigade.

Hank - it was so much a 'bit of a dump' it eventually got closed down becasue it was an unsafe structure - but, as you say, great beer and a good place to be if there was a band on at the City Hall that night.

Here's a picture of Barkers Pool from April 1964, with The Albert on the far right.

From "Remember Sheffield in the 50s, 60s and 70s" by David Richardson, published: 2002, ISBN: 09534267-8-5

Picture by C.J.Farrant

ADMIN said:
What's that to the left of Cole Brothers ??

I think it will be the old Gaumont.

If you look at my picture of the Gaumont from the mid-70s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheffdave/1844245760/in/album-72157594304242775/

(Link updated: 03/01/2016)

this was after the cinema was split in to 2 with the higher roof than the 1964 picture.

There is a bit more on the Albert at

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/albertpubsheffield.htm.

I seem to recall that a Daily Mirror article in the mid 80's blamed the demolition of the pub on the Luftwaffe, but I seem to recall that subsidence was the major factor in its demolition. For a prime city centre site, it did see to remain derelict for quite sometime. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Guest Rubytuesday

The Albert was the first pub my parents ran in the early 1970's. They went on to run the Old Heavygate on Matlock Road, The Earl Grey on Eccelsall Road and the Bradway Hotel. I remember when we first moved in Mum had to clean mouse droppings from behind the optics! It was a very spit and sawdust pub and very busy. The back room was a meeting place for the Hells Angels and once one of them was so drunk he vomited all over the floor and Mum who was about 5 foot and never took any "salver" off anyone, took him the mop and bucket and made him clean it up. My sister and I were about 10 and 11 at the time of the Albert. We used to play the fruit machine and the pinball and were quite good at it. I used to think it was like a fun house at the fair as there was a lot of corridors and all the floors sloped. We had to use chocks under the wardrobes the floors were that uneven. The practise room upstairs was off limits as it had been condemmed. I remember coming home from school and Mum said I was to help with sandwiches for a band playing in the back room. The band was the Glitter Band who were playing at the City Hall and just had hits with Rock 'n' Roll parts 1 and 2. Another time Dad called me into the bar and asked me if I knew who the man was sitting on a stool with a full length fur coat on, i didn't until he told me it was Rod Stewart and I was too shy to get his autograph. My sister and I used to play on the City Hall steps and go next door to the Picciolo cafe for sausage and chips on our own when Mum was too busy in the bar to feed us. Good memories.