Barley Corn

Guest Hank

Had a reputation as a pub where prostitutes hung out. Cant remember her name but one worked behind the bar and she was a right hardcase. (Bye the way I never used their services).

Had a reputation as a pub where prostitutes hung out. Cant remember her name but one worked behind the bar and she was a right hardcase. (Bye the way I never used their services).

I was under the impression it was also where 'good friends of Judy Garlands' hung out - never went in because of it's reputation

I was under the impression it was also where 'good friends of Judy Garlands' hung out - never went in because of it's reputation

You dont know what you missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont know what you missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ah...so someone knows what it means!!!

That was a different generation the "Freinds of Dorothy" moved in a while after the red light crowd had moved on. Later when it had clsed down "Henry's expanded into its building.

That was a different generation the "Freinds of Dorothy" moved in a while after the red light crowd had moved on. Later when it had clsed down "Henry's expanded into its building.

Someone needs to say it and it doesn't hurt a bit. It was a *** bar. So what? Live and let live.

Guest wisewoodowl

Someone needs to say it and it doesn't hurt a bit. It was a *** bar. So what? Live and let live.

The Barleycorn wasn't a *** bar.

At that time *** still meant a lively mood or bright and showy, it was before that word was hijacked by the homosexual community.

If the friends of Dorothy were in it, then it was frequented by gays/homosexuals/lesbians. ***= Good As You.

If the friends of Dorothy were in it, then it was frequented by gays/homosexuals/lesbians. ***= Good As You.

*** also means fun which was my intention -and before you say it not by poking fun at any culture - lighten up mate.

*** also means fun which was my intention -and before you say it not by poking fun at any culture - lighten up mate.

No need to lighten up. I used to go in the pub regularly. I was a friend of the people who had The Sportsman further down, and we would often pop in The Barleycorn. This would be around 1970. I never even thought of you poking fun. I was merely pointing out who SOME of the customers were. AND they were OK too. Wherever we go we will meet people who are different to ourselves, and it is this that helps to make life interesting.

No need to lighten up. I used to go in the pub regularly. I was a friend of the people who had The Sportsman further down, and we would often pop in The Barleycorn. This would be around 1970. I never even thought of you poking fun. I was merely pointing out who SOME of the customers were. AND they were OK too. Wherever we go we will meet people who are different to ourselves, and it is this that helps to make life interesting.

Good god - I fully agree ans support your statement about people being different - but I still have to be honest and say on the rare occasions I went into town at the start of my drinking 'career' the Barleycorn never really appealled to me - like I said because of its "reputation" - ill found or not - but at that time I was an impressionable teenager who started his drinking life in the suburban pubs rather than the city centre - the night clubs were where we headed for once we got into town....maybe the Stone House cus we knew the landlords daughter - the Museum, Three tuns etc - the 'old' Dove and Rainbow and in latter years the Buccaneer.

Used to go in the Sportsman if we were going to a concert at the City Hall - I mean more the Tony Bennett type concert rather than the rock type - the only place to be if off to those gigs was the Albert or the Buc

This is how I remember the Barley Corn. This was taken in 1972 and can be found in J R Wrigleys book "A Sheffield Camera"

• Thanks 1

Late 60s I installed one of the first juke box videos in the barleycorn, consisted of a screen above the juke box playing a silent dance video, I had to watch the video and select a record that kinda fitted with it, I think it cost sixpence extra to play a record with video.. Wonder if Shirley is still around He/She was good fun always up for a laugh

I was the landlord of the Barleycorn for a short time (1 year), had some good times in there. Sure , some of the customers were colourful but we never had any trouble.