Sheffield Corporation Tramways - staff and uniforms

Guest Whaley Ash

Guest Whaley Ash

Hi all

My first posting - so here goes!

I run a website dedicated to British Tramway company uniform badges and buttons Click here!. Currently I'm trying hard to get a better understanding of the uniforms, cap badges and buttons worn by employees of Sheffield Corporation Tramways (and the early lessee company). I have photos of a few badges, as well as two distinct types of button, but would dearly like to add a full description of the uniforms. Right now I have many unanswered questions such as:

- What uniforms and badges, if any, were worn when the system was worked by the Sheffield Tramways Company?

- When was the blue enamel shield-shaped cap badge worn Click here!?

- What grades wore brass and what grades wore nickel buttons?

- Were the early buttons on my website really worn by tramways staff Click here!?

- What badges did higher grades such as Inspectors and Regulators wear?

If anyone has an information, particularly photos of staff members that they'd be willing to let me use on the website, I'd very much appreciate hearing from them.

Cheers, Ashley

Hi all

My first posting - so here goes!

I run a website dedicated to British Tramway company uniform badges and buttons Click here!. Currently I'm trying hard to get a better understanding of the uniforms, cap badges and buttons worn by employees of Sheffield Corporation Tramways (and the early lessee company). I have photos of a few badges, as well as two distinct types of button, but would dearly like to add a full description of the uniforms. Right now I have many unanswered questions such as:

- What uniforms and badges, if any, were worn when the system was worked by the Sheffield Tramways Company?

- When was the blue enamel shield-shaped cap badge worn Click here!?

- What grades wore brass and what grades wore nickel buttons?

- Were the early buttons on my website really worn by tramways staff Click here!?

- What badges did higher grades such as Inspectors and Regulators wear?

If anyone has an information, particularly photos of staff members that they'd be willing to let me use on the website, I'd very much appreciate hearing from them.

Cheers, Ashley

Welcome to the site Whaley Ash, I hope our Transport people can help you out, transport is not an area where I have any expertise, but I wish you well - please keep us posted.

I like the website by the way; information presented without undue fuss.

Guest Whaley Ash

Welcome to the site Whaley Ash, I hope our Transport people can help you out, transport is not an area where I have any expertise, but I wish you well - please keep us posted.

I like the website by the way; information presented without undue fuss.

I've just realised that I've probably posted it in the wrong place - I'll try to repost in the Transport area!

Thanks for the compliment - always appreciated, and good to know that others do see it as easy to use and uncluttered, which was most definitely my intention!

Cheers, Ashley

I've just realised that I've probably posted it in the wrong place - I'll try to repost in the Transport area!

Thanks for the compliment - always appreciated, and good to know that others do see it as easy to use and uncluttered, which was most definitely my intention!

Cheers, Ashley

Topic moved over,

Steve

Hi Ashley and welcome.

I have this photo of my grandfather that was taken around mid 1940 I think,

not sure if he was a driver or conductor on Sheffield trams.

This image is reduced in size for display on here,

but if it's of any use to you send me a PM and I will forward a high resolution image.

Steve

Guest Whaley Ash

Hi all

I've totally revamped my Sheffield Corporation Tramways uniform/staff page. Please feel free to take a look and advise of any errors/omissions. Also, if anyone has any decent photos that would improve the page, please do let me know.

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page152/page157/page157.html

Ashley (High Peak)

I was a bus conductor in Sheffield over 40 years ago and for a while worked with a driver everyone new as Silver, I can not remember his real name or number. He had been a tram driver during the war and told me some great stories. He was said to have lost more trams to enemy action than anyone else. I remember he said in one raid, (possible the Sheffield Blitz,) he had abandoned a tram in High Street and made for the shelters and on his return all he could find were the bogies. I wonder if anyone remembers Silver and his real name, the nickname Silver was probably because of his silver hair.