Howard Hotel Walkley

s6lad

Hi vox , it's not a scan or a photo it's an oil painting, still a bit wet looking at

the date on the left. There's hundreds more where they came from but he does

tend to sell quite a few.

No - I mean the copy of it that you've posted on here. lol

Is it a photo of the original or a scan of it.

Guest gingerpuss

If you PM me I could get you a print sent, that goes for gingerpuss too.

Although the largest he does is A4. UL

What does 'PM' mean? Sorry I am so ignorant!

What does 'PM' mean? Sorry I am so ignorant!

Hi Gingerpuss

When people refer to PM they mean "Personal Message", this is a system that allows members to send messages to other members.

There are 2 ways to access this:

1: The easiest if you sending a message is to click on the other members name adjacent to their post and you will see various options, 1 is to send message.

2: The other is to access the Personal Message system from the top of the screen there is a link named "New Messages" this allows you to access your inbox, read incoming messages and reply to any.

It works very similar to posting.

I will send you a PM to demonstrate, if you want to practise feel free to PM me lol

Stuart

No - I mean the copy of it that you've posted on here. lol

Is it a photo of the original or a scan of it.

It would have been from a photograph of the painting as it was sent

to me by e-mail. :unsure:

Received by email

I have sent Roy a link to this topic

While browsing the many interesting items on your web site I discovered that nobody seemed to remember the Duncan Gilmour pub in Walkely called the Howard Hotel.

I lived there with my parents from 1939 to 1948 (turbulent times).

I don't know when my step grandfather, Charles Balmforth, took over the "Howard" but it was after 1911, because he was then listed as a Wire Drawer living in Kimberley street, Attercliffe. His status changed soon after 1911 so I think he must have been running the pub during the World War I, because he sent his son "Bert" to Worksop College and had a live-in housekeeper at that time. Charles retired in 1939, after "Bert" married my widowed mother Grace Hadfield.

Bert and Grace Balmforth ran the "Howard" successfully but not without several difficulties during and after World War II. They ended their tenancy early in 1948 after my mother bought a drapery shop on Bridge Street, Worksop.

The Howard Hotel was a 3 storey victorian building occupying the site of the current bus shelter on Howard Road/Birkendale View adjacent to St Josephs school. It had capacious cellars for the beer and fuel and also used as air raid shelter and indoor shooting range. The saloon bar had a billiard table, dart board and dominoes, and the lounge had a piano. Upstairs were the four bedrooms and bathroom. This bathroom was also the ladies toilet. Also upstairs was a large room originally used for "entertainment". Its windows were the same height as the tramcars upper deck so the passengers had a good view, especially due to the tram stop being right outside.

I have no pictures of the "Howard". I have trolled through various archives without success, so if anybody does have a picture of this pub, I'd be delighted to see it.

This is for Roy

I was working my way from 1923 [ previous dates done ] through the alphabet, on F at the moment but I've jumped the gun.

The Howard Hotel 94 Howard Road.

1916 to 1939 Charles Balmforth

1942 to 44 William Ernest Balmforth

I don't have the names for 45 to 47.

1948 Alfred Wragg.

There's lot s more dates and names on the A to Z of Sheffield Pubs.

UKL

Hello

Thought you might be interested in this photo of my Gt Uncle Charles Henry Strickland and wife Kitty outside The Howard Hotel .As you rightly stated he managed this pub until his death.As a young girl I visited them during the daytime [restricted licensing laws then] and remember the extension at the side virtually hung over the playground of St Josephs School. Just a length of railings stopping anyone from a very long drop!

Realmont

(I realise this is an old thread)

The church on the same side of Howard Road as the Howard Hotel was the Wesleyan Methodist chapel on the corner of Duncombe St. It's shown in this photo given to the Walkley Historians.

Duncombe St Howard Rd 1976.jpg

I was brought up around Walkley and was around 7-8 yrs old when it was demolished so that would put it around1962-3, I do remember that a large part of the back of the building ended up in St Joseph’s playground due to subsidence which is why it was demolished.

Guest leksand

I don't know when it was demolished but the pub is noted to have closed on the 3rd of August 1965. It's suggested elsewhere that this was as a consequence of a surveyor's inspection or suchlike and this seems very probable. Plans for alterations to the pub were approved in July 1964.