Howard Hotel Walkley

s6lad

The Fulton was more or less next to the Howard on the corner of Howard Road/Fulton Road. `vox` I will give you a ring. W/E.

I agree, the Fulton and The Howard were separate pubs, but close by.

The Fulton was more or less next to the Howard on the corner of Howard Road/Fulton Road. `vox` I will give you a ring. W/E.

Shots thanks to `Online Video Sheffield trams` Very good video but my shots are poor due to taking pics from TV screen. W/E.

Hi Lady

There was a church further along South Road heading away from town on the left. It was oposite the chinese chippy as is now. There's a row of houses now bulit on the spot.

The church I'm thinking of was demolished not long after my brother's wedding as it was declared unsafe,

that was in 1957. It stood on the brow of the hill more or less at the back of the tram in vox's picture.

On the wedding album it just says Howard road church but in the Sheffield Kellys directory it says

it was situated on the corner of Fulton road and Howard road. this means it was either on the opposite corner from the pub or acrooss the road from it. :unsure:

The church I'm thinking of was demolished not long after my brother's wedding as it was declared unsafe,

that was in 1957. It stood on the brow of the hill more or less at the back of the tram in vox's picture.

On the wedding album it just says Howard road church but in the Sheffield Kellys directory it says

it was situated on the corner of Fulton road and Howard road. this means it was either on the opposite corner from the pub or acrooss the road from it. :unsure:

Hi lady

That was a different church then. Just looking at my original reply and had to edit it, the church I was thinking about was on the right not left as previously stated.

Two pubs and a church!! what a busy area that must have been.

Could that be the dome of the Howard Road church behind the roof of the Howard Hotel ? I have enlisted the help of an expert who can hopefully get a better picture from my video tape. W/E.

Now I'm very confused.

According to this The Fulton is at the bottom of Fulton Rd. Not on Howard Rd at all. :o

50's O.S map 237

There I'm confused again UkeLass.

If you look at the 50's OS map in my post above, there's no church on the corners of the lower section of Fulton Rd, just houses.

The section of Fulton Rd above Howard Rd has a house on one corner and on the opposite corner is the wall around St Josephs Home, which is still there. (Now the Buddhist ctr. I believe)

Google Streetview Looking at the upper section of Fulton Rd.

There I'm confused again UkeLass.

If you look at the 50's OS map in my post above, there's no church on the corners of the lower section of Fulton Rd, just houses.

The section of Fulton Rd above Howard Rd has a house on one corner and on the opposite corner is the wall around St Josephs Home, which is still there. (Now the Buddhist ctr. I believe)

Google Streetview Looking at the upper section of Fulton Rd.

That's me and you both confused because as a kid I sort of remembered the

church on the other side of the road. Take a look at this old map. :mellow:

That's me and you both confused because as a kid I sort of remembered the

church on the other side of the road. Take a look at this old map. :mellow:

St Mary's + Ebenezer Chapel, Howard Street and Greenhow Street junctions with South Road, I lived on both Howard Street and Greenhow Street in my time.

Just found this in my tram photo's

Reasonably conclusive then !Way too big to have sat where the bus stop is, surely (Don't call me Shirley etc)

Which side of the walkway down to Upperthorpe is this building - left or right - I think its to the ...

Modern Street view requested ...

I think it is

The map shows it's not as big as it looks from the photo

The decider, for me, is that just behind the bus stop is the path running diagonally down to Birkendale.

The map shows this directly behind the pub.

St Mary's + Ebenezer Chapel, Howard Street and Greenhow Street junctions with South Road, I lived on both Howard Street and Greenhow Street in my time.

1890 Ebenezer Primitive Methodists - South Rd Walkley (Thanks to the Date Stones on Sheffield Buildings contributors).

Just found this in my tram photo's

Hope you don't mind this being produced from your picture Stuart?

It didn't take this lad long with his brush n oils.

Very fine work. Thank you (and him).

<More>

Gob-smacked!!

Interesting take on Then & Now's

Then Photo and Then Painting lol

Guest gingerpuss

Thank you so much for the amazing picture - have been looking for an image of the Howard Hotel for ages, we live just down the lane that was behind it that leads to Birkendale View. I would love a copy of it too!

How did you copy it UkeLass.

Is it a scan or a photo?

Hi vox , it's not a scan or a photo it's an oil painting, still a bit wet looking at

the date on the left. There's hundreds more where they came from but he does

tend to sell quite a few.

What a fantstic painting. if you go to print with that I would be interesting in buying one.

If you PM me I could get you a print sent, that goes for gingerpuss too.

Although the largest he does is A4. UL

Wonder if anyone paints any old pubs like is in this tram scene ?
Hi Shazan, if you have a decent picture of on old pub of your

choice it can be done.