Howard Hotel Walkley

s6lad

Hello everyone, I'm looking for pictures of the pub on Howard Road Walkley, also does anyone know the exact location? was it sited where the bus stop is adjacent to St Josephs school or was it on the next corner on the junction of Howard Road and Fulton Road.

Does anyone know what year it was knocked down.

Many thanks

It is also on the 1950's maps:

Map 237

I can't find a picture at Picture Sheffield but it may be worth checking the database in the Local Studies Library itself. I am sure I have seen several pictures of the track-laying for the tram on Howard Hill, one of which might show the pub. The online database only has one. It does have the tip of a gable that might be the pub.

Track laying - PictureSheffield   (link updated 19/4/2020)

The larger building I think is now Saccomando's (sp?) or an older building on the same site.

Hugh

It is also on the 1950's maps:

Map 237

I can't find a picture at Picture Sheffield but it may be worth checking the database in the Local Studies Library itself. I am sure I have seen several pictures of the track-laying for the tram on Howard Hill, one of which might show the pub. The online database only has one. It does have the tip of a gable that might be the pub.

Track laying - PictureSheffield

The larger building I think is now Saccomando's (sp?) or an older building on the same site.

Hugh

We have the pub as 94 Howard Road. Saccomandos (official) address is 94 Howard Road.

According to this from the Traffic Commissioner

Licence not continued WEF 07 February 2009

EDWARD MARK ANTHONY & JANICE SACCOMANDO T/A AMITY

Partner(s): JANICE SACCOMANDO, EDWARD MARK ANTHONY

SACCOMANDO.

PB0004014 SI

(1857)

94 HOWARD RD SHEFFIELD S6 3RW

The 2 sites are quite some distance apart and I would hazard a guess that Saccomando's was there before the pub was demolished. Odd.

Here's where the pub was (from what it looks like on the 50's map.)

Here's the view up Howard Rd from Saccomando's with what I think is the site of the Howard arrowed in red.

Google Streetviews

The 50's map shows a small building where Saccomando's is. It's also the right shape I think. (If I remember rightly Saccomando's is slightly corner shaped.)

It looks like we have two listings for this pub?

Updated, combined into one entry. Constructive critism gratefully received and acted upon.

Thank you.

Another landlord not on our list:

Mrs Elizabeth Ann WALKER; Vict. Howard Hotel; 94 Howard Road, Walkley (Kelly's 1893)

Details added, credited. Many Thanks Sir.

Do we think this is what we're looking for? :)

Google street view

I lived close by, down the walkway to Upperthorpe (just behind the Pub on the left), also on Howard Street, best shown starting at the right handside of the second photo Always thought it was The Fulton but my Dad, who would know, passed away in 1993.

Looks to me like you got it.

I read on another forum that the foundations of the pub might still be there.

Jeremy

According to one of my neighbours, the pub itself was a poular local with a snooker/billiards room. He seems to think it was a Teleys pub at the time of its demolition. Anyway the demolition was due to slippage/subsidence of the foundations which may explain why nothing has been built on the site since.

He can't be sure of the actual demolition date but thinks it may be circa early 1970's

Many thanks to everyone concerned with helping me with this one. The tram picture shows the pub on the site of the now bus stop. The site itself does not look big enough to hold a pub ! I moved to Commonside as a kid in 1971 and cannot ever remember the pub being there. Then again I was only six so if it had been a toy shop I might have remembered :-)

The initial reason I enquired was that my Grand parents etc who all liked a drink frequented the pubs around Commonside i.e Hallamshire, Closed Shop and the Spring vale. So I feel like I have an affinity with the area.

My mate who lives on Dykes Lane was digging in his garden and found a Tram token that was from Town to the Howard Hotel Walkey, and I didn't know it existed.

It's a pity its not still there as it would be a great stop off point for a pub crawl from Commonside to the far end of South Road.

Please keep the information coming, its really appreciated.

S6lad.

Google street view

Hi Vox

This is a great picture. When I walked past the site last night I noticed that hinges are still present on the wall at the far end of the pub (looking at the picture) which must have been for a driveway down the side allowing for rear access.

I also notice that the pub front is right upto the pavement whereas these days the bus layby cuts into this space, thats the reason there doesn't look like enough room for the pub to have existed.

You live and learn.

Many thanks again for this picture.

PS 3 browny points for the first person to supply a picture of the pub from the other side of Howard Road. :-)

Hi Vox

This is a great picture. When I walked past the site last night I noticed that hinges are still present on the wall at the far end of the pub (looking at the picture) which must have been for a driveway down the side allowing for rear access.

I also notice that the pub front is right upto the pavement whereas these days the bus layby cuts into this space, thats the reason there doesn't look like enough room for the pub to have existed.

You live and learn.

Many thanks again for this picture.

PS 3 browny points for the first person to supply a picture of the pub from the other side of Howard Road. :-)

Best I can do at the moment. W/E.

Thanks Waterside

That picture looks like a video edit. Is that the Howard then? Its a shame its a little misfocused but much appreciated.

S6 lad

According to one of my neighbours, the pub itself was a poular local with a snooker/billiards room. He seems to think it was a Teleys pub at the time of its demolition. Anyway the demolition was due to slippage/subsidence of the foundations which may explain why nothing has been built on the site since.

He can't be sure of the actual demolition date but thinks it may be circa early 1970's

Didn't St Mary's church use to be at the side of the pub or very near to it?

I was a bridesmaid for my brother many many years ago at that church and plaster

was falling from the ceiling through all of the service. Maybe that was sinking too.

Didn't St Mary's church use to be at the side of the pub or very near to it?

I was a bridesmaid for my brother many many years ago at that church and plaster

was falling from the ceiling through all of the service. Maybe that was sinking too.

Hi Lady

There was a church further along South Road heading away from town on the right. It was oposite the chinese chippy as is now. There's a row of houses now bulit on the spot.

Are you sure that's it WE ?

I can't work out where that's taken from.

There's no sharp bend (or junction) opposite where the pub was.

(I've smartened the picture up to make it a bit clearer)

... I also notice that the pub front is right upto the pavement whereas these days the bus layby cuts into this space, thats the reason there doesn't look like enough room for the pub to have existed.

You live and learn.

My Dad alwayssaid there used to be a Pub on that bend and I never believed him (foolishly) and I never pressed him on it (morefoolishness); I think he claimed it was The Fulton (his mistake), but to my young (naive) mind, it wasn't a big enough area to have been a Pub.

You live and learn, indeed, and learn to regret missed opportunities - if only I'd been interested at the time, how much could I have learned ?

Do the Maps <Shudder> help at all ?

My Dad alwayssaid there used to be a Pub on that bend and I never believed him (foolishly) and I never pressed him on it (morefoolishness); I think he claimed it was The Fulton (his mistake), but to my young (naive) mind, it wasn't a big enough area to have been a Pub.

You live and learn, indeed, and learn to regret missed opportunities - if only I'd been interested at the time, how much could I have learned ?

Do the Maps <Shudder> help at all ?

Jeremy's overlays place it firmly on the (I assume) agreed spot.

The bus pull in accounts for the lack of space and I'm sure my photo is the right pub.

Still can't fathom WE's photo.

What we need to know then is

a/ Was there a pub called The Fulton

b/ As is the case with some other pubs in the area, was The Fulton just a local name for The Howard?

For instance, we used to call The Punchbowl The Top Shop and The Princess Royal was The Bottom Shop.

Jeremy's overlays place it firmly on the (I assume) agreed spot.

The bus pull in accounts for the lack of space and I'm sure my photo is the right pub.

Still can't fathom WE's photo.

What we need to know then is

a/ Was there a pub called The Fulton

b/ As is the case with some other pubs in the area, was The Fulton just a local name for The Howard?

For instance, we used to call The Punchbowl The Top Shop and The Princess Royal was The Bottom Shop.

The Fulton was more or less next to the Howard on the corner of Howard Road/Fulton Road. `vox` I will give you a ring. W/E.