Who do you think you are

RichardB

http://www.pasttimesproject.co.uk/20th_cen....php?decade=50s

Oh Mam,can I have .... ? was always met with "who do yo think I am, Lady Docker ?" Meant little to use back then ....

Lady Norah Docker (nee Collins) was the wife of Sir Bernard Docker. She had been a dancer at the Cafe de Paris in London prior to her marriage. Sir Bernard was chairman of Daimler and BSA (Birminghan Small Arms). Controversy follwed her wherever she went, and she was never afraid to voice her opinion publicly. She and her husband seemed to throw money around as if it was water. She was certainly a household name. At one time I worked at Jessop Saville on Brightside Lane. Jessop's belonged to the BSA group, and the Dockers paid a visit. A red carpet was laid down in the Foundry. A gold plated car later arrived (could have been a Daimler), and the Dockers alighted from it. Lady Norah was dressed in a gold satin ball gown!! It is right to say she was a good looker and it made many a man's day. If that was not OTT, I don't know what was. She survived Sir Bernard and died in the late 1980's - she herself being in her eighties.