Sheffield Group of Advanced Motorists

Hjdary

Were you, or do you know anyone who was a member of the Sheffield Advanced Motorists?

I joined, and passed my I.A.M test seven years back now, and now serve on the committee.

For some time now, I have been trying to find out a little of the history of the group, back in the early days, but have got no where!

I know that they met at a hotel (Halam Towers?) for some time and ran the course from a caravan in the carpark. Then they moved to the Little Chef just off the Prince of Wales road and finaly to the Davy Sports club which is our current home.

We have recently started a new web site for the group and last week I added a gallery section, but along with the history section, there's not much in it at the minute.

So....if anyone can answer a question about Sheffield related things I thought it would be our History Heros on this site!

Can you help!!

Any photos or stories would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Jason.

Were you, or do you know anyone who was a member of the Sheffield Advanced Motorists?

I joined, and passed my I.A.M test seven years back now, and now serve on the committee.

For some time now, I have been trying to find out a little of the history of the group, back in the early days, but have got no where!

I know that they met at a hotel (Halam Towers?) for some time and ran the course from a caravan in the carpark. Then they moved to the Little Chef just off the Prince of Wales road and finaly to the Davy Sports club which is our current home.

We have recently started a new web site for the group and last week I added a gallery section, but along with the history section, there's not much in it at the minute.

So....if anyone can answer a question about Sheffield related things I thought it would be our History Heros on this site!

Can you help!!

Any photos or stories would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Jason.

Sometime in the early 80's I went to a meeting/lecture, prior to starting lessons, at a building in Attercliffe somewhere.

I can picture it in my mind but I'll have to think hard to remember where exactly.

The introduction was by members of what I think at the time was called F Division, but I'm sure they're called something else now. (We also called them the Police Jam Sandwich drivers)

I'll come up with the location I'm sure.

Edit:

I think it was Brightside Lane.

On the left going towards the junction with Upwell Street.

Guest Killamarsh GC

The place you remember is the old police driving school at the junction of Brightside Lane and Upwell Street. The building was demolished when the junction was altered and only a set of gates and a grass bank now remain. It was the school I took my advanced driving test at when in the police.

The place you remember is the old police driving school at the junction of Brightside Lane and Upwell Street. The building was demolished when the junction was altered and only a set of gates and a grass bank now remain. It was the school I took my advanced driving test at when in the police.

Was the IAM ran from the same building?

Guest Killamarsh GC

Not as far as i'm aware, it was a police building and I never saw anyone else using it. When we qualified our paperwork for membership was processed by our instructors.

Not as far as i'm aware, it was a police building and I never saw anyone else using it. When we qualified our paperwork for membership was processed by our instructors.

I think I only went to Brightside once. For a lecture before getting started. I can't think of any other building that I went to though.

Something which sticks in my mind from that evening was being told that, with one vehicle in front of you on an otherwise empty motorway, you don't indicate when you change lanes to overtake it.

There were actually occasions in those days when this was relevant because on occasion the motorways were virtually empty. :o

As an aside, I remember the first time I drove on a motorway. The newly opened stretch of M1, (some time in the late 60's ?). I was terrified.

It was at night, obviously in those days unlit, the surface was still very black, and the white lines seemed like DayGlo. All the different coloured cats eyes just served to confuse me. It felt like being on an airport runway. (Not that I'd ever seen one of those close up in those days) I was relieved when I got off. :)

I could have done with a empty M1 tonight!!

Left my last call at Xscape in Glasshoughton on the M62 and queued all the way on to the M1 then all the way from Rothwell to Birdwell