St Silas Church Hall

Stuart0742

St Silas Church Hall on Upper Hanover St, is a looking a bit sorry for itself these days.

However, the inscription above the door reads

St Silas Church Hall

Wright Memorial

Who or What does Wright refer to

St Silas Church Hall on Upper Hanover St, is a looking a bit sorry for itself these days.

However, the inscription above the door reads

St Silas Church Hall

Wright Memorial

Who or What does Wright refer to

I bet it's a coincidence that 1903, as seen on the date stone, was the year the Wright Brothers did something special. :)

I bet it's a coincidence that 1903, as seen on the date stone, was the year the Wright Brothers did something special. :)

mm is it as simple as that, not convinced

mm is it as simple as that, not convinced

I very much doubt it is anything to do with the Wright Brothers. I just happened to notice the co-incidence, and haven't got a clue as to the true answer.

I very much doubt it is anything to do with the Wright Brothers. I just happened to notice the co-incidence, and haven't got a clue as to the true answer.

This looks about right ;-)

1863-1867 C. SISUM WRIGHT, vicar of St. Silas', Sheffield, 1869-78; vicar of Doncaster, <1878-1903; Canon of York, died 1903.

From Odom '50 Years of Church Life'

Of Charles Sisum Wright, the first Vicar of St. Silas, I have pleasant recollections, inasmuch as in the anxious early months of my ministry he showed me much kindness and sympathy. He was a native of Sheffield, an excellent pastor, a good business man, and one of the local secretaries at the Church Congress. In 1878, Archbishop Thomson appointed him Vicar of Doncaster, and later, a Canon of York. He was a devoted parish worker, and is widely remembered for his genial personality, happy tactfulness, and business aptitude. Archbishop Thomson once described him as "the man of unerring judgement". At the time of his death he was Rector of Stokesley, and his body rests in the quiet churchyard of Eyam, his ancestral home.

Some interesting information on Eyam Hall and the Wright family can be found on the internet

1863-1867 C. SISUM WRIGHT, vicar of St. Silas', Sheffield, 1869-78; vicar of Doncaster, <1878-1903; Canon of York, died 1903.

Of Charles Sisum Wright, the first Vicar of St. Silas, I have pleasant recollections, inasmuch as in the anxious early months of my ministry he showed me much kindness and sympathy. He was a native of Sheffield, an excellent pastor, a good business man, and one of the local secretaries at the Church Congress. In 1878, Archbishop Thomson appointed him Vicar of Doncaster, and later, a Canon of York. He was a devoted parish worker, and is widely remembered for his genial personality, happy tactfulness, and business aptitude. Archbishop Thomson once described him as "the man of unerring judgement". At the time of his death he was Rector of Stokesley, and his body rests in the quiet churchyard of Eyam, his ancestral home.

Some interesting information on Eyam Hall and the Wright family can be found on the internet

Thanks Dunsby, that explains it

Going a bit off the thread here, but was there a St Silas School at all?

Hi Suzy

Yes there was a St Silas'School. I think it was on Headford Street between Moore St and Hodgson St. My Gran lived on Clarence St, and my Dad and his brother and sister all went there.

Hi Suzy

Yes there was a St Silas'School. I think it was on Headford Street between Moore St and Hodgson St. My Gran lived on Clarence St, and my Dad and his brother and sister all went there.

Is this the school you mean Bayleaf

Link to map #272

Modern Day Google Street View from Moore St looking towards Headford St

Courtesy of Google SV

So is this the same building, though much altered.

Link to map #272

Courtesy of Google SV

Thank you Bayleaf - I had a feeling in my long lost distant memory that I or my eldest brother went to St Silas School, which would make sense now as I lived on Milton Lane. <_< Does anyone know when it closed or have any more information on it?

Stuart : thank you for the map and the photo of how it looks today, but I am having difficulty opening the attachments, as when I click on them I just get a blank screen. :( Would it be too much to ask to see Milton Lane in the late 50's also? I think they were back to back houses - dont know when they were demolished and not sure whether or not I lived at No. 2???? :mellow:

Link to map #272

Courtesy of Google SV

That's it Stuart. I'm not sure when it closed, in the late 70's or early 80's I think.

Suzy, there are 3 pictures on Picture Sheffield of No 3 Milton lane in the 50's.

outside,

and inside,

and the stairs

The photos took me back. My Gran lived on Clarence St on the corner of Milton St, and her house was very similar. Because it was on the corner it was just one room on each of 3 floors, with no rear access. To go to the lavatory you had to go several doors up Clarence St, and down a passage to a row of outside loos in a communal yard. And of course there were the squares of torn-up newspaper on a nail...

Thank you Bayleaf - I had a feeling in my long lost distant memory that I or my eldest brother went to St Silas School, which would make sense now as I lived on Milton Lane. <_< Does anyone know when it closed or have any more information on it?

Stuart : thank you for the map and the photo of how it looks today, but I am having difficulty opening the attachments, as when I click on them I just get a blank screen. :( Would it be too much to ask to see Milton Lane in the late 50's also? I think they were back to back houses - dont know when they were demolished and not sure whether or not I lived at No. 2???? :mellow:

Suzy

This shows Milton Lane

(runs diagonally through the "O" in history)

Suzy

This shows Milton Lane

Stuart - with a little help from hubby, I have been able to open the pictures. I didn't realise I lived so close to the school, so many thanks for getting the information for me. Do you have any idea how I could find out some history of the school and indeed of Milton Lane? Sorry to be a pain but you have whetted my appetite to find out more now he he

That's it Stuart. I'm not sure when it closed, in the late 70's or early 80's I think.

Suzy, there are 3 pictures on Picture Sheffield of No 3 Milton lane in the 50's.

outside,

and inside,

and the stairs

The photos took me back. My Gran lived on Clarence St on the corner of Milton St, and her house was very similar. Because it was on the corner it was just one room on each of 3 floors, with no rear access. To go to the lavatory you had to go several doors up Clarence St, and down a passage to a row of outside loos in a communal yard. And of course there were the squares of torn-up newspaper on a nail...

Bayleaf : thank you so much. I find it rather spooky that the pictures are of No. 3 and I lived at No. 2 :unsure: They dont look up to much by todays standards do they? I think in some old photos there may be a picture of me standing on Milton Lane, so I need to set aside some time to dig them out. I cant remember the loos (probably a good thing!), but imagine having to go to such lengths :o

Just found this on the other Forum. Some disagreements, but interesting too!

Thanks Bayleaf - that is certainly interesting. I was too young when we lived on Milton Lane to remember much, but I see from the other site that the Co-op is mentioned and I remember a story my eldest brother recalls. He was sent by my Mum with some milk tokens to go across the road to the Co-op and buy milk. He was a very long time so my Grandad went to look for him. He had got distracted on the way to the Co-op on some waste land, where some lads asked him to be goalie for their football match. He used his coat as a goalpost and put the milk tokens under his coat. Needless to say when he moved his coat the milk tokens had gone : he got a real telling off :(

Also, I was baptised at St Silas Church.

That is what is so brilliant about this site - it brings back memories that in some cases would otherwise be forgotten and people are able to help each other. lol

Just a little background to St Silas school, during the war I attended Springfield school, known to us all as "Spring-Onions" and during the blitz St Silas school was badly damaged so many of the pupils (we were pupils or scholars in those days) were transfered to our school which meant it was a bit crowded!

Regarding the Wright Memorial Hall, or as it was known in my day as St Silas Church Hall, I have many happy childhood memories of this building, as we lived just across the road, I was a member of St Silas Cubs which met in the Hall, then graduating to the Scouts, Ron Jones was the Scout Leader, and a more dedicated leader you could not wish to find. In those days St Silas Scouts had a band, drum and bugle, quite a rarity during the war, and my mate Kenneth Wild, now no longer with us played the bugle in this band, and I well remember him busting a gut whilst learning to play the instrument, band practice was Tuesday evenings. Church activities took place in the hall, concerts etc, my sister was Akela to the Cubs there until her marriage took her out of Sheffield.

When Martin Phillips was Vicar he formed an Senior Citizens group called the Tuesday Club, and my mum was on the committee, and her presence was always very welcome at the Christmas Lunch because having worked at a posh restaurant she knew how to carve the turkey to get the most meat from it.

Yes I have many happy memories of this building.

Just a little background to St Silas school,during the war I attended Springfield school,known to us all as "Spring-Onions" and during the blitz St Silas school was badly damaged so many of the pupils(we were pupils or scholars in those days)were transfered to our school which meant it was a bit crowded!

Regarding the Wright Memorial Hall, or as it was known in my day as St Silas Church Hall, I have many happy childhood memories of this building, as we lived just across the road, I was a member of St Silas Cubs which met in the Hall, then graduating to the Scouts, Ron Jones was the Scout Leader, and a more dedicated leader you could not wish to find.In those days St Silas Scouts had a band,drum and bugle, quite a rarity during the war, and my mate Kenneth Wild, now no longer with us played the bugle in this band,and I well remember him busting a gut whilst learning to play the instrument, band practice was Tuesday evenings, Church activities took place in the hall,concerts etc, my sister was Akela to the Cubs there until her marriage took her out of Sheffield.

When Martin Phillips was Vicar he formed an Senior Citizens group called the Tuesday Club, and my mum was on the committee,and he presence was always very welcome at the Christmas Lunch because having worked at a posh restaurant she knew how to carve the turkey to get the most meat from it.

Yes I have many happy memories of this building.

This PictureSheffield photo, was taken from where the Electricity substation now stands, the cutelry works (Richardsons I believe) is where wickes is now and St Silas school is in the centre

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s17424.jpg

Also of interest is

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s17413.jpg

Hodgson St from the junction of Headford St looking towards Thomas St (St Silas School would be on the right)

This PictureSheffield photo, was taken from where the Electricity substation now stands, the cutelry works (Richardsons I believe) is where wickes is now and St Silas school is in the centre

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s17424.jpg

Also of interest is

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s17413.jpg

Hodgson St from the junction of Headford St looking towards Thomas St (St Silas School would be on the right)

Hougomont : thank you so much for the information - this subject has really come alive for me, thanks to the kind people out there like yourself who take the time and trouble to put their memories to this site. lol I would love to know as much about the school, church hall, Milton Lane and what life was like in the community.

Stuart : the photos are amazing - do you know what year the first photo was taken? Also, my grandmother worked at Richardsons the cutlery works and so did my mum at some stage, so that is another story coming to life.

Also, Happy New Year he hehe he he he

Hougomont : thank you so much for the information - this subject has really come alive for me, thanks to the kind people out there like yourself who take the time and trouble to put their memories to this site. lol I would love to know as much about the school, church hall, Milton Lane and what life was like in the community.

Stuart : the photos are amazing - do you know what year the first photo was taken? Also, my grandmother worked at Richardsons the cutlery works and so did my mum at some stage, so that is another story coming to life.

Also, Happy New Year he hehe hehe he

Why does everyone call it Richardsons surely it's Richards.

Is it getting mistaken for [Westall] Richardsons.

Thanks Bayleaf - that is certainly interesting. I was too young when we lived on Milton Lane to remember much, but I see from the other site that the Co-op is mentioned and I remember a story my eldest brother recalls. He was sent by my Mum with some milk tokens to go across the road to the Co-op and buy milk. He was a very long time so my Grandad went to look for him. He had got distracted on the way to the Co-op on some waste land, where some lads asked him to be goalie for their football match. He used his coat as a goalpost and put the milk tokens under his coat. Needless to say when he moved his coat the milk tokens had gone : he got a real telling off :(

Also, I was baptised at St Silas Church.

That is what is so brilliant about this site - it brings back memories that in some cases would otherwise be forgotten and people are able to help each other. lol

Here goes, a few memories of Clarence Street, don't know if it stirs any memories...

We used to visit my Gran every other Saturday. My dad worked Saturday mornings, so we’d set off on the bus after dinner. The 61 went down the Moor and up Cemetery Rd, so it was quite convenient for Clarence Street. Usually though we’d get off at Moorhead and walk down the Moor doing a bit of window shopping. There were still gaps where bombed buildings had been cleared, but if I was lucky we’d call in at Redgates, which was at the bottom of Ecclesall Road opposite the S&E co-op, having been bombed out of their shop on the Moor.

Other times we’d walk along Button Lane past a mixture of terraced houses and little mesters’ works.

The houses on Clarence Street from my Gran’s up towards Glossop Rd had front areas. At one time they had railings, but they went for scrap in the war, so the low walls had a row of metal stubs.

Gran’s house was on the corner and had no rear entrance, just a single room on each of 3 floors, and a narrow tight staircase that opened into the living room, with a door at the bottom, and 2 steps in the room.

My grandparents lived there all their married life, and raised my dad and his brother and sister there. 5 people at such close quarters must have been trying at times, but Gran had her own way of letting the kids let off steam. Which is why the bottom step, and an ancient stool, had lots of nails hammered into them. Any child with steam to let off would be given a hammer and a few nails and let loose!

There was also a cellar, where my uncle, who never married and lived at home all his life, had a darkroom, where I was allowed to go and help occasionally. On one visit down there I discovered a pile of rusty ARP helmets and gas masks. I thought it a treasure trove, but my dad, having served for duration of the war as a driver in the RASC, was strongly opposed to anything military or to do with the war, so I wasn’t allowed to keep anything.

I was only there on Saturday afternoons, and there weren’t many kids my age around, so I spent a lot of time playing in the front area, or sitting on the wall watching the world go by. I was fascinated by a man who would rattle along the cobbles in a tiny wooden cart, pushing himself along with two wooded blocks covered with leather. I never discovered whether he had lost his legs or never had any, but he certainly got off the mark! My Dad said he sold newspapers somewhere near Moorhead I think.

After tea we would play cards and listen to the Saturday night variety programme on the radio. I got to be pretty good at Newmarket, but I can’t remember how to play now! Sometimes for a change it would be dominoes, but most often cards.

We always got the 10o’clock bus home, the 61 from Nether Edge. One memorable thing about Clarence Street was the number of pubs. There were several crossroads between gran’s and Ecclesall Rd, and some had a pub on every corner! On Saturday night coming up for 10 o’clock, every one would have someone banging out old favourites on a piano, usually slightly out of tune, like the singers!

When you got to Ecclesall Rd, quite often there would be a wedding party in the rooms on the top floor of the Co-op, and music would be coming from the open windows.

We caught the bus opposite the pub at the bottom of Cemetery Rd. If we were early (or the bus late) I’d hang over the railings on the culvert between the Co-op and the bank, where the black waters of the River Porter rushed along. On one winter night there was a pea-souper of a fog. We waited ages, and eventually the bus appeared from the gloom, with the conductor walking in front to guide the driver! It was only going to the centre of town so my dad set off to walk home, and Mum and me went back to gran’s for the night.

My uncle had an allotment at High Storrs, and occasionally in the summer we’d all get the tram to Hunter’s Bar and walk up the valley to the allotment. Sometimes my dad would how me how to turn over stones in the river and catch ‘bullheads’.

I loved the allotment. It had a big shed, with a primus stove and kettle. My uncle smoked a pipe, and I remember one year he grew his own tobacco, so the shed had strings with drying leaves hanging from them.

My gran got her milk from the corner shop, and it was in a narrow-necked bottle with a lid with a metal clip, and a very distinctive taste! A brook ran by the gate to the allotment, and the milk would be put in the stream to keep cool.

25 years later, my wife and I moved to our present house near those allotments, which by then had been more or less abandoned, and I spent ages trying to find that allotment, but never managed it. Mind you, a machete would have helped!

Here goes, a few memories of Clarence Street, don't know if it stirs any memories...

We used to visit my Gran every other Saturday. My dad worked Saturday mornings, so we’d set off on the bus after dinner. The 61 went down the Moor and up Cemetery Rd, so it was quite convenient for Clarence Street. Usually though we’d get off at Moorhead and walk down the Moor doing a bit of window shopping. There were still gaps where bombed buildings had been cleared, but if I was lucky we’d call in at Redgates, which was at the bottom of Ecclesall Road opposite the S&E co-op, having been bombed out of their shop on the Moor.

Other times we’d walk along Button Lane past a mixture of terraced houses and little mesters’ works.

The houses on Clarence Street from my Gran’s up towards Glossop Rd had front areas. At one time they had railings, but they went for scrap in the war, so the low walls had a row of metal stubs.

Gran’s house was on the corner and had no rear entrance, just a single room on each of 3 floors, and a narrow tight staircase that opened into the living room, with a door at the bottom, and 2 steps in the room.

My grandparents lived there all their married life, and raised my dad and his brother and sister there. 5 people at such close quarters must have been trying at times, but Gran had her own way of letting the kids let off steam. Which is why the bottom step, and an ancient stool, had lots of nails hammered into them. Any child with steam to let off would be given a hammer and a few nails and let loose!

There was also a cellar, where my uncle, who never married and lived at home all his life, had a darkroom, where I was allowed to go and help occasionally. On one visit down there I discovered a pile of rusty ARP helmets and gas masks. I thought it a treasure trove, but my dad, having served for duration of the war as a driver in the RASC, was strongly opposed to anything military or to do with the war, so I wasn’t allowed to keep anything.

I was only there on Saturday afternoons, and there weren’t many kids my age around, so I spent a lot of time playing in the front area, or sitting on the wall watching the world go by. I was fascinated by a man who would rattle along the cobbles in a tiny wooden cart, pushing himself along with two wooded blocks covered with leather. I never discovered whether he had lost his legs or never had any, but he certainly got off the mark! My Dad said he sold newspapers somewhere near Moorhead I think.

After tea we would play cards and listen to the Saturday night variety programme on the radio. I got to be pretty good at Newmarket, but I can’t remember how to play now! Sometimes for a change it would be dominoes, but most often cards.

We always got the 10o’clock bus home, the 61 from Nether Edge. One memorable thing about Clarence Street was the number of pubs. There were several crossroads between gran’s and Ecclesall Rd, and some had a pub on every corner! On Saturday night coming up for 10 o’clock, every one would have someone banging out old favourites on a piano, usually slightly out of tune, like the singers!

When you got to Ecclesall Rd, quite often there would be a wedding party in the rooms on the top floor of the Co-op, and music would be coming from the open windows.

We caught the bus opposite the pub at the bottom of Cemetery Rd. If we were early (or the bus late) I’d hang over the railings on the culvert between the Co-op and the bank, where the black waters of the River Porter rushed along. On one winter night there was a pea-souper of a fog. We waited ages, and eventually the bus appeared from the gloom, with the conductor walking in front to guide the driver! It was only going to the centre of town so my dad set off to walk home, and Mum and me went back to gran’s for the night.

My uncle had an allotment at High Storrs, and occasionally in the summer we’d all get the tram to Hunter’s Bar and walk up the valley to the allotment. Sometimes my dad would how me how to turn over stones in the river and catch ‘bullheads’.

I loved the allotment. It had a big shed, with a primus stove and kettle. My uncle smoked a pipe, and I remember one year he grew his own tobacco, so the shed had strings with drying leaves hanging from them.

My gran got her milk from the corner shop, and it was in a narrow-necked bottle with a lid with a metal clip, and a very distinctive taste! A brook ran by the gate to the allotment, and the milk would be put in the stream to keep cool.

25 years later, my wife and I moved to our present house near those allotments, which by then had been more or less abandoned, and I spent ages trying to find that allotment, but never managed it. Mind you, a machete would have helped!

Bayleaf - thank you - thats a fascinating and very interesting story - what wonderful and clear memories you have.

I remember the bottles of milk and the distinctive taste!

My eldest brother often played football on the sites that had been bombed and my Grandma used to take us over the road from Milton Lane to buy sweets for a 1d from the shop - if we had been good that is!!!

Suzy

This shows Milton Lane

HELP REQUIRED PLEASE. Seems to be some confusion as to which house I lived in on Milton Lane! :( It turns out it certainly wasnt No. 2, was definitely No. 3 but then seems to have changed to No. 5 two years later. I dont know whether that is a mis-print on a document I have recently come across or whether we moved to No. 5, but cant think why that would be unless it was a bigger house in terms of bedrooms, as there had been another addition to the family in the two year period. Can anyone help please? I am unable to pop to Sheffield Archives as I don't live in Sheffield anymore.