Brewery Hotel

Stuart0742

Whilst searching the 1901 census for something else (Bungay St) I came across this census page

38 South St - Brewery Hotel

Margaret Richardson Wife to the Head, but there is no Head shown, checked previous page, strange.

I can not find Brewery Hotel in the main list, did it have another name, is it in the Beer houses list or is it a new pub

Nearest I can find is "Old Brewery Tap", Broad Street; not my area of expertise.

I have Mrs Hannah Maria Harvey in 1901.

So, I think you have a new one there, Pal.

Nearest I can find is "Old Brewery Tap", Broad Street; not my area of expertise.

I have Mrs Hannah Maria Harvey in 1901.

So, I think you have a new one there, Pal.

Broad st and South St are not far from each other, so what breweries are we talking about here

Broad st and South St are not far from each other, so what breweries are we talking about here

The brewery will be William Greaves & Co, Norfolk Brewery, but where exactly was it on Broad St

The brewery will be William Greaves & Co, Norfolk Brewery, but where exactly was it on Broad St

86 Broad Street, he lived at 203 Shrewsbury Bank (1852)

Guest Richard J Webb

I'm a few years late replying to this but the Brewery Hotel at 38, South Street was run by my great great grandmother, Kate Hodgkinson from at least 1905 to 1919. I have no more information so if anyone knows anything about this place please let me know. Was it linked to the Norfolk Brewery next door? Thanks, Richard.

Mrs Kate Hodgkinson, 38 South Street, Park known 1905-1919, as previously stated. All showing as "Beerhouse".

Just for interest there is also a Mrs Kate Hodgkinson, Greengrocer of 29 South Street, Park in 1919.

(Where possible always differentiate between South Street and South Street, Park; the first one is the early name for The Moor; er, the second one isn't !)

Another from Picture Sheffield ... very different to the previous one methinks.

That is at the wrong end of South Street Pk, Norfolk Hotel stood at the top near to Talbot Street.

Mrs Kate Hodgkinson, 38 South Street, Park known 1905-1919, as previously stated. All showing as "Beerhouse".

Just for interest there is also a Mrs Kate Hodgkinson, Greengrocer of 29 South Street, Park in 1919.

And before her husband died, she was a "Dealer in Pies". Obviously good at serving the public in a variety of businesses.

Guest Richard J Webb

Thanks for the replies. No.29 South Steet, Park was directly opposite number 38 and Kate did have both properties, her daughter took over the greengrocers at 29. Looking at the photos, no.38 seems to be part of the brewery. My father Brian Webb lived at 25a in the mid 1930s and used to play in the brewery yard and remembers eating ice from the ice making plant there. Does anyone know anything about the ice and bottling plant operating there? According to Kate's grandaughter, who seemed prone to getting her facts wrong, Kate Hodgkinson owned the brewery, but I find that difficult to believe because records show it was owned by William Greaves and Co before Duncan Gilmour took it over in about 1920, but that does fit in with Kate Hodgkinson leaving no.38 at that time, and she owned at least 6 houses when she died in 1947, so where did the money come from?

Dealer in Pies? I'd not heard that one before but just seen it on the 1901 census at 31 South Street, Park. Excuse the pun, but Kate certainly seems to have had her hand in many pies because she's also listed as a tripe dealer at no.29 South Street Park from 1915-17.

Guest Richard J Webb

There seems to be more than one Norfolk Brewery belonging to William Greaves and Co, one on Broad Street as shown by the map above and the other on South Street, Park. I was at the library today checking the White's directories and William Greaves is recorded at South Street, Park from 1868 to 1921. In 1923 the South Street, Park premises was occupied by several companies: the New Ice and Cold Storage Company, Wolf safety lamps, the Federation Lamp Company and a wine and spirits company.
I read that Duncan Gilmour took over the Broad St brewery in about 1920, so did they take over all of Greaves and close the South Street, Park premises?

Guest Richard J Webb

SteveHB, where did you find the 1890 map showing the Norfolk Brewery at the Granville Street/South Street junction which you posted on this thread? I'm very interested in seeing more of this area at this level of detail and if possible showing the house numbers. The 1950s OS map of this area is missing from the SheffieldHistory online collection, do you know if it's online anywhere?

SteveHB, where did you find the 1890 map showing the Norfolk Brewery at the Granville Street/South Street junction which you posted on this thread? I'm very interested in seeing more of this area at this level of detail and if possible showing the house numbers. The 1950s OS map of this area is missing from the SheffieldHistory online collection, do you know if it's online anywhere?

The 1890's map can be viewed here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?txtXCoord=436030&txtYCoord=387423.

And here is a more general navigation window .. http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html

Guest Richard J Webb

Since my previous posts I've learnt that the original Norfolk brewery was on Broad Street, as shown by the 1851 map posted by Ukelele lady and the advert posted by RichardB above.The brewery was moved from Broad Street to new premises on South Street, Park in the 1860s which fits in with the construction of the railway which cuts through the rear of the Broad Street premises, so maybe they moved because of the railway?

PictureSheffield website has some photos which refer to the Norfolk brewery chimney being visible behind the Midland Railway station and another showing demolition of the chimney, but after studying the maps and the design of the chimney it appears that the captions are wrong and the chimney is actually the Midland Leather Works between Granville Street and Bungay Street. This made me think wrongly that there was more than one Norfolk brewery existing at the same time.

PictureSheffield website has some photos which refer to the Norfolk brewery chimney being visible behind the Midland Railway station and another showing demolition of the chimney, but after studying the maps and the design of the chimney it appears that the captions are wrong and the chimney is actually the Midland Leather Works between Granville Street and Bungay Street. This made me think wrongly that there was more than one Norfolk brewery existing at the same time.

Always worth double checking Pic Sheff stuff. As we've found out before, they aren't always accurate.

The Brewery Hotel 1896 , shown as 38 South Street, part of the Brewery. Extracted from the wonderful insurance maps: