1891 Census Page

Stuart0742

This page from the 1891 census was posted by Richard in the Bungay St topic

However 224 South St is the Norfolk Hotel/Tap

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=18199

So who was at that address, I not 100% sure

Tom something, the last letter of the surname is very much like the the "w" at the end of "widow"

Sure everybody will see in differently

Tom something, the last letter of the surname is very much like the the "w" at the end of "widow"

To my eyes (not used to staring at 19th century handwriting) it looks like Tilson. I also think the first name is not Tom: could the first letter br a J (cf the name Jane which appears in entry 273). But then again, I could interpret it in other ways as well!

To my eyes (not used to staring at 19th century handwriting) it looks like Tilson. I also think the first name is not Tom: could the first letter br a J (cf the name Jane which appears in entry 273). But then again, I could interpret it in other ways as well!

I still think the surname ends in w

I see it as William Bennett (Beerhouse) which is much easier to read. 1871, could be pre- or post-census, but it's what I have for that address.

Kitson, Kilsow ... ?

Cancel this !!! I read it as 1871 - can't even get the year right !

1891, for that address = one blank.

looks like tom kiloow to me

mick

I'll vote for that.

Kitson, same here. The stroke of the "T" is there but it has missed the upright, and the "N" is very similar to those in Burgin and Smithson. (If that's what they are) :)

Kitson, same here. The stroke of the "T" is there but it has missed the upright, and the "N" is very similar to those in Burgin and Smithson. (If that's what they are) :)

Right then, Tom Kitson to be added to the main pub list

Hi,

New hear so please be gentle. Just checked the 1901 census and it can be seen slighlty clearer and definitely looks like Tom Kitson. I'm taking it as an educated guess as he is now living at 100 Hoyle Street with his daughter Hilda and is listed as a widower. Profession is still publican.

Regards

--

John D

Hi,

New hear so please be gentle. Just checked the 1901 census and it can be seen slighlty clearer and definitely looks like Tom Kitson. I'm taking it as an educated guess as he is now living at 100 Hoyle Street with his daughter Hilda and is listed as a widower. Profession is still publican.

Regards

--

John D

Another one for Tom Kitson then

Welcome to the site John D, you will soon realise we are very friendly and very rarely bite. :)