St Mary's - temporary services

MINIMO

There is a place I would love to see a photo of.

'Our' church was St Mary's Bramall Lane but for a time (war damage?) services were held in a small building which I can't place, but have an impression of a bus or tram garage nearby.

I hope this makes some sense, it would be in the early fifties (nineteen fifties that is)

Failing a photo, can anyone identify the location?

There is a place I would love to see a photo of.

'Our' church was St Mary's Bramall Lane but for a time (war damage?) services were held in a small building which I can't place, but have an impression of a bus or tram garage nearby.

I hope this makes some sense, it would be in the early fifties (nineteen fifties that is)

Failing a photo, can anyone identify the location?

Hi MINIMO,

my church was also St Mary's but don't think I was around

at that time.

More than one garage in the area,

Depot on Bramall Lane, (on map) next to Sheaf House PH maybe?

Leadmill Road Depot, (not on map) ?

Link to ... (1953) O/S map number 23

May help out with location,

fist we have to find the small building that may well have been a Chappell,

and we can then start looking for photos.

Hi MINIMO,

my church was also St Mary's but don't think I was around

at that time.

More than one garage in the area,

Depot on Bramall Lane, (on map) next to Sheaf House PH maybe?

Leadmill Road Depot, (not on map) ?

Link to ... (1953) O/S map number 23

May help out with location,

fist we have to find the small building that may well have been a Chappell,

and we can then start looking for photos.

Hi Steve

I thought I had a good idea, why not look to see if St Mary's has a website. Well it does, but in the history it says (paraphrased) due to bomb damage the church was moved to ?

So even they don't know!

I've looked at the map but nothing stands out.

I can picture the location in my mind, but it's not easy to describe. As we approached the church, walking down a straight road there were two roads running off it, one at near right angles, imagine west, and the other would be WNW.

The building was very small, and in my mind it was little more than a hut. I can see the surrounding buildings all grime blackened as so many were at that time.

Hi Steve

I thought I had a good idea, why not look to see if St Mary's has a website. Well it does, but in the history it says (paraphrased) due to bomb damage the church was moved to ?

So even they don't know!

I've looked at the map but nothing stands out.

I can picture the location in my mind, but it's not easy to describe. As we approached the church, walking down a straight road there were two roads running off it, one at near right angles, imagine west, and the other would be WNW.

The building was very small, and in my mind it was little more than a hut. I can see the surrounding buildings all grime blackened as so many were at that time.

Umm .. Interesting will have to study that description when my brain is isn't polluted by alcohol,

at this moment I don't know my left from the right .. :blink::huh:

Steve ;-)

Umm .. Interesting will have to study that description when my brain is isn't polluted by alcohol,

at this moment I don't know my left from the right .. :blink::huh:

Steve ;-)

It's not pollution, it's "treatment" ! I've been taking it for lots of years and I'm nearly better ... <Hic>

A Red wine burp from a fat balding bloke is not quite as bad as a garlic chicken burp from a kitten/cat.

Leadmill Mission Hall sounded like a good bet, but I'm not sure. It looks bigger than I remember in the pics on Picture Sheffield.

I was only about 7 or 8 though. If I could see the building showing the main door it might help.

Leadmill Mission Hall sounded like a good bet, but I'm not sure. It looks bigger than I remember in the pics on Picture Sheffield.

I was only about 7 or 8 though. If I could see the building showing the main door it might help.

If it was a hut as you describe,

it may have been a temporary building that was built for use

while St Mary's was repaired,

One area that comes to mind can be seen here,

I think these buildings may have had some connection to the church.

As at a later date a community/scout hall was built on the site.

Link to ... St Mary's Cubs Party, Who are they

I think we need the help of member 'plain talker' on this one.

If it was a hut as you describe,

it may have been a temporary building that was built for use

while St Mary's was repaired,

One area that comes to mind can be seen here,

I think these buildings may have had some connection to the church.

As at a later date a community/scout hall was built on the site.

Link to ... St Mary's Cubs Party, Who are they

I think we need the help of member 'plain talker' on this one.

This is the place that I thought about, but minimo did mention bus/tram garage

At the end of Bramall Lane, left hand side, about 100 yds before Queens Road junction, there was a "hut" in the yard of some terrace houses. It was there in '69-70. We rented it as storage for the second hand shop on Asline Road, but it was a church building of some sort before that (we were told). That would put it right as far as being very close to a bus garage.

Also there is/was a small church (Now part of James Cycles and before that a bakery I think) at the junction of Asline Rd, Bramall Lane & Alderson Rd. This is also within a short distance of the old bus depot. (That one gives you the junctions as well)

I also asked a friend who used to be the Verger at St Mary's. He says there's a historian involved with the church. He's going to ask him.

Also the friend suggested that it may have been the Baden Powell Pavilion which is/was? in the church grounds.

He says that at some time or other in the past, services for St Mary's have been held at the Parish Church which is opposite Trinity Church, Highfields (He can't remember the name.)

At the end of Bramall Lane, left hand side, about 100 yds before Queens Road junction, there was a "hut" in the yard of some terrace houses. It was there in '69-70. We rented it as storage for the second hand shop on Asline Road, but it was a church building of some sort before that (we were told). That would put it right as far as being very close to a bus garage.

Also there is/was a small church (Now part of James Cycles and before that a bakery I think) at the junction of Asline Rd, Bramall Lane & Alderson Rd. This is also within a short distance of the old bus depot. (That one gives you the junctions as well)

I also asked a friend who used to be the Verger at St Mary's. He says there's a historian involved with the church. He's going to ask him.

Also the friend suggested that it may have been the Baden Powell Pavilion which is/was? in the church grounds.

He says that at some time or other in the past, services for St Mary's have been held at the Parish Church which is opposite Trinity Church, Highfields (He can't remember the name.)

That would be great if contact could be made with the historian.

Isn't this the most infuriating thing about trying to dredge up memories. If only I had asked my mum when she was still with us. Too late now.

The small church near the bus depot sounds interesting.

That would be great if contact could be made with the historian.

Isn't this the most infuriating thing about trying to dredge up memories. If only I had asked my mum when she was still with us. Too late now.

The small church near the bus depot sounds interesting.

Still waiting for them to contact me.

In the meantime:

These are the two buildings I mentioned marked in red. Not exactly as I remembered them but more or less right.

The small church I thought was on Alderson Rd / Bramall Lane /Asline Road junction, is actually a bit further up.

The "hut" we used as a storage warehouse was apparantly a Spiritualist church in the 50's according to the map.

As you can see, they're both close to the bus garage.

Still waiting for them to contact me.

In the meantime:

These are the two buildings I mentioned marked in red. Not exactly as I remembered them but more or less right.

The small church I thought was on Alderson Rd / Bramall Lane /Asline Road junction, is actually a bit further up.

The "hut" we used as a storage warehouse was apparantly a Spiritualist church in the 50's according to the map.

As you can see, they're both close to the bus garage.

Looking at old pics of Leadmill Rd, I think it could be the right location. I seem to remember the tramlines. If it is the right road then the building was just a little further down the road that Leadmill Rd led off from. I am trying to get info from my brother but I am not hopeful.

Looking at old pics of Leadmill Rd, I think it could be the right location. I seem to remember the tramlines. If it is the right road then the building was just a little further down the road that Leadmill Rd led off from. I am trying to get info from my brother but I am not hopeful.

Nothing from my brother unfortunately (what I expected really)

Someone asked about a building where services were held when St Mary's was damaged during the war.

A few possibles were suggested but nothing definite.

I said I'd ask someone I know. He's just found out for me, but now I can't find the original question. :angry:

Anyway, according to his sources (he was the Verger) the temporary location was on Leadmill Street.

If anyone remembers where the original post is, could you move this somehow please. :)

Someone asked about a building where services were held when St Mary's was damaged during the war.

I said I'd ask someone I know. He's just found out for me, but now I can't find the original question. :angry:

Anyway, according to his sources (he was the Verger) the temporary location was on Leadmill Street.

If anyone remembers where the original post is, could you move this somehow please. :)

Just over the road from Leadmill Rd bus garages then,

and not far from what picturesheffield call 'Leadmill Mission Hall'

(I believe correct name was Matilda Lane Chapel/Mission Hall)

or was it Mortimer Street Chapel?

I did read the name somewhere but can't recall where!

Vox, thanks so much, it was my question.

At least I was right about the bus garage (well it was half a century ago)

Guest plain talker

*hears her name being taken in vain*... (and apologises for her recent absence)

lol

Well, I'm afraid I can only answer about a couple or so of the questions posed in this thread:-

The church opposite Highfield Trinity (which was Brunswick Trinity Methodist, up to about the mid 80's when the LEP was formed, merging St Barnabas and Brunswick Trin Meths) was St Barnabas's (It's now been converted into elderly persons' housing)

The buildings circled in green on the map, in SteveHB's post (post#8) are currently called "the pavilion", and are part of St Mary's current Church-And-Community Centre's complex of buildings. The building that stands there currently, is not that old though, to my knowledge.

(Perhaps 40 years? *thinks*... The complex of buildings, and the bowling green illustrated on the 1953 map do not correspond to the current buildings' footprint, though the open space which was the bowling green is still there. - definitely not a bowling green, for some time, mind you)

I remember the section of Countess Road that runs between the church and the pavilion being closed, in order to make a "Play Street".

This happened in the early 1970's (1972-ish I think) when the churchyard was remodelled and excavated due to the works on the Ring Road (St Mary's Gate)

Apologies that this is not a more comprehensive answer.

Further to my last post here's an email from him.

Andy

Apologies for not getting this to you sooner, but here we go:

From: A History of the Diocese of Sheffield 1914 �" 1974 by Mary Walton (Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance)

Pg 105

It was in March 1957 that St. Mary’s Bramall Lane was re-dedicated after being converted into a ‘dual purpose’ church. This long suffering parish had lost in the ‘blitz’ the use of the church and the vicar had taken his flock to join the welcoming congregation of St. Barnabus. In May 1943 they moved again to their own mission church in Leadmill Road which had also been badly damaged, but had been temporarily repaired and which was used for services until the re-dedication.

I hope that answers your friend’s question.

Giles