Tramways - Snow & Fog Regulations Booklet

Waterside Echo

I need all the help I can get: there is a reason for the Mad Annie name, lol, and I never could resist any man with a fine collection of tramway photos. Be grateful I am in Carlisle :o

Back to the matter in hand: perhaps that roller width came in handy for levelling the tarmac between those tramlines without coating the tracks as well (as once happened with disastrous consequences in Bath in 1933, when a tram lost grip due to tar on the track, ran away backwards and two people were killed).

Bloomin marvellous I never did take any tram photos, would the contents of this booklet do ?

Bloomin marvellous I never did take any tram photos, would the contents of this booklet do ?

how many pages, fire the scanner up, will keep you out of mischief :)

That will do very nicely indeed. I have lots of instructions and manuals for BR and London Transport, but I have never seen one for the tramways (jealousy is creeping in already :) )

That will do very nicely indeed. I have lots of instructions and manuals for BR and London Transport, but I have never seen one for the tramways (jealousy is creeping in already :) )

Snow and fog regulations [Tramways] January 1955. The first part.

The last part. W/E.

Fantastic stuff. Many thanks for posting, W/E.

A good read is required, no doubt to be followed by comments and queries.

(Note to admin type people - is this worthy of it's own thread, rather than being tucked away in steam on the road?)

Fantastic stuff. Many thanks for posting, W/E.

A good read is required, no doubt to be followed by comments and queries.

(Note to admin type people - is this worthy of it's own thread, rather than being tucked away in steam on the road?)

Sorted MA, :)

Sorted MA, :)

Thanks, SteveHB

A few random thoughts:

It might initially seem odd that such detailed regulations are needed for fog, but there are many people who are too young (like me :) ) to remember the fog/smog of previous decades. Vehicle lights were not great back then, and traffic lights were thin on the ground. I like the use of pilotmen on the single track section in Neepsend, obviously due to the curved nature of this section, despite there actually being lights at either end. I am trying to envisage the use of paraffin flares at major junctions.

As to snow, I like the fact that inspectors telephone Fitzalan Square when it snows, but the members of the snow emergency gangs (Snow Patrols?) and point & drain cleaners have to report in person to depot or Fitzalan Square if not on duty!

As to point 6 "all members of the snow emergency gang must make arrangements at home for being called", this implies a telephone - I don't suppose home telephones were that common in 1955, so did the Transport Department assist in any way in this?

The list of phone numbers has all the important numbers, including the Employees' Club! One thing which does puzzle me is that all tram depots and bus garages are included, and at the bottom is a separate number for Central Garage. does anybody know what this refers to?