Lorry Driver

Guest andydeda

Guest andydeda

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON A COMPANY CALLED JIMMY CHILES OR CHYLES (NOT SURE OF SPELLING).

MY FATHER USED TO DRIVE LORRIES FOR THEM IN 1960s...thanks andyd

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON A COMPANY CALLED JIMMY CHILES OR CHYLES (NOT SURE OF SPELLING).

I think its actually "James Childs" (but everyone knew it is "Jimmy Childs") . My grandma lived at Grimesthorpe & I think that was where they were based.

John

I think its actually "James Childs" (but everyone knew it is "Jimmy Childs") . My grandma lived at Grimesthorpe & I think that was where they were based.

John

I seem to remember he did a lot of demolition work at that time

I seem to remember he did a lot of demolition work at that time

You're right Stuart. I remember them in the 50's, they did most of the haulage work clearing bomb sites. I lived on Skinnerthorpe Road at Firvale at the time, and their lorries were always roaring at speed up and down the road, rat running to avoid the lights at the junction with Herries Road. According to my Dad the drivers were on piece work, paid by the load, hence the speed and rat running!

You're right Stuart. I remember them in the 50's, they did most of the haulage work clearing bomb sites. I lived on Skinnerthorpe Road at Firvale at the time, and their lorries were always roaring at speed up and down the road, rat running to avoid the lights at the junction with Herries Road. According to my Dad the drivers were on piece work, paid by the load, hence the speed and rat running!

Sounds a bit like an old b/w film I saw once with Stanley Baker - was it called "Helldrivers" lol

Sounds a bit like an old b/w film I saw once with Stanley Baker - was it called "Helldrivers" lol

I remember that film.

I also think Childs were involved in the building industry in the 60's

Extract :

The Second World War brought further developments for and anti aircraft searchlight and gun emplacement was built near to the fort itself and the causeway built to give access to heavy machinery. The heavy concrete foundations of the emplacement can still be seen. By 1948 the wood was in a sorry state as this report by the City Engineers indicates-

'The 48 acres known as Wincobank Wood is very poor in appearance. It is windswept, and for the most part devoid of vegetation. There is an ugly tip of some two acres in the south western corner. The northg western boundary is substancially fenced with wrought iron. The most satisfactory portion, some 15 acres in the north eastern corner is worthy of further attention and another attempt should be made at afforestation.'

Urgent attention was required but the task of regenerating the space was daunting. Added to the other pressures licences had been granted to two local companies, Chapmans and James Childs, to use open spaces on the eastern side as large open tips, despite the fact that there was a clamour for open recreation space.

Source

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember James Child trucks being smartly painted an agreeable combination of cream, red and green. Leyland Comet short-wheelbase tippers also come to mind. Probably in direct competition with Henry Matthews whose immaculately painted trucks graced Sheffield streets in the 1950's.

Guest transit

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember James Child trucks being smartly painted an agreeable combination of cream, red and green. Leyland Comet short-wheelbase tippers also come to mind. Probably in direct competition with Henry Matthews whose immaculately painted trucks graced Sheffield streets in the 1950's.

...Henry Mathews lorries being dark blue with white lettering - and based at Cricket Inn Road , just before Manor Lane.

Hi I Knew Jimmy Childs senior, the founder of the firm, when he was in a very small way, in the early years of the war he quickly expanded, when he was contracted to the Sheffield Corporation, for haulage and building work, he built hundreds of air raid shelters in Sheffield,demolished, and cleared thousands of houses, both those that were bomb damaged, and those in later years under slum clearance schemes, l did hear that the only demolishing job he ever lost money on, was the the old Corn Exchange, which was so well built, and being in such a position that explosives were not permitted, l bought thousands of slates from the firm, [ at sixpence each!] when they demolished the Crimica Lane Hospital. He had two sons, Jimmy being the eldest,he was very well known in the boozing fraternity in the town, l myself had many a drink with him . Cheers skeets

Guest Grubshifter

The company name was James Childs and Sons and they were located on Corby Road at Grimesthorpe. I worked there twice during the 70's the second time as the Lowloader Driver. The founder James Childs had died by this time but sons James and Roy and I think it was daughter Karen were running the business. Jims son Jim (Chids) and Roys son Roy also worked there too. Seffield Council eventually took over their site and a move was made to Surbiton Street at Attercliffe from where I believe they eventually stopped trading. I met one of the old drivers (Elvis) Albert Presley at Chesterfield Auctions in the early eighties and he told me that Jim and son Jim were selling cars at Whittington near Chesterfield. Jim and Roy lived next door to each other on the Twentywell Estate in Sheffield and their parents the original James Childs lived at Coal Aston. If I had been told the right story James Childs and Sons was a source of "beer money" but the real money maker was Twentywell Investments which was created from vast amounts of profits made by the founder and consisted of land and property some of that land was old tips which had been used for the disposal of the rubbish from demolition. When I left the tip at Twentywell Lane was comming to the end of its settlement time and I was told it would be worth a fotune for housing development.

I still have the names of some of the former employees hidden away in my brain somewhere and will probably remember them if prompted

Guest greenlandbusman

i thought they had a yard on shirland lane if you go down balfour road turn left their yard was on the right i believe the gate had two crossed crane arms over the top which i think are still there

Guest CHOOTTWEAST

Its my first time to post on this forum,just wannat make some friends here.if its not allowed to post on this board,please delete this thread.Nice to see you guys here.:)