What Ever Happened to Bungay St

Stuart0742

Brilliant - well found steve.

It's the type of player that allows screenshots as well (out of interest)

Great finds Steve, fantastic

Great finds Steve, fantastic

The original title of this topic is "What Ever Happened to Bunghay St"

Looking at the present development, perhaps it should be "What will happen to Bunghay St"

Had a walk past today, I don't think phase 1 of the development will alter Bunghay st, but what of future developments.

Photographs taken 13/11/10

The original title of this topic is "What Ever Happened to Bunghay St"

Looking at the present development, perhaps it should be "What will happen to Bunghay St"

Had a walk past today, I don't think phase 1 of the development will alter Bunghay st, but what of future developments.

Photographs taken 13/11/10

I like what it says on the notice board,

" We plan to have it finished by Spring 2011 "

Famous Last Words lol

Ah the good old Bungay. As a resident of Park Hill this was a favourite hill for sledging in the 60's. Was difficult to stop yourself careering across the road at the bottom though. Great memories.

Ah the good old Bungay. As a resident of Park Hill this was a favourite hill for sledging in the 60's. Was difficult to stop yourself careering across the road at the bottom though. Great memories.

At least if you did go over the road, there was a decent brick wall to stop you

How much traffic was there on Granville Street in the 1960's, I remember playing football on the grass near the railway footbridge in the late 60's

At least if you did go over the road, there was a decent brick wall to stop you

But should you go through or over that wall you are straight onto the railway track directly opposite platform 8. :o

If you time it right you could land on a train for a free ride to London St. Pancras. lol

Some great information here. I was born at no. 22 Bungay Street in 1946 and lived there until 1953. I have never been able to get hold of a photo of the street as it then existed so this is wonderful. In addition I have very fond and vivid memories of the place. Despite it's slum conditions it was a smashing community.

I had a poke around this site last week. It is an interesting area and i was unaware of the history until i read this thread a few months ago. The street surfaces are still intact but are they original? They seem to be and i found a drain near the bottom next to the tram which was in bad shape but was recognisably from c.1870-1880. It would be nice to see some information about the neighbourhood on display at the 'ampitheatre'.

Is this Bungay Street behind the station ?

Link to SH topic.

Very good photo. I think you're probably right - the line looks as though it marks out Bungay Street. How unfortunate that photographs of these old streets were not taken before they were demolished. I still hold vivid memories of the street(s). I remember the walk along Norwich Street to the old Park School. My grandparents lived on Lord Street.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 20:22, alby said:

Very good photo. I think you're probably right - the line looks as though it marks out Bungay Street. How unfortunate that photographs of these old streets were not taken before they were demolished. I still hold vivid memories of the street(s). I remember the walk along Norwich Street to the old Park School. My grandparents lived on Lord Street.

I had a go at replying to this post a few mins ago, but caught something on the keyboard and my reply disappeared. My apologies if it turns up on here and this present post appears as a repeat. 

Anyway, back to what I wanted to say - my grandfather Tommy Crawshaw, ex Wednesday Captain, lived on Lord Street throughout his career with Wednesday. He went to the Old Park School, on the corner of Lord Street and Norwich Street..  He was born a few streets away on Park Hill Lane.  The first picture was taken not long after the Park-Hill flats were built, showing the line of Norwich Street running alongside the school and through the gap in the flats, to South Street, which is still there.

The second picture was taken a few weeks ago from about the same spot as the 1st one.  The school would have stood in the right foreground.  Such a pity it was knocked down.  It was built from solid dressed sandstone throughout and would have made a grand community centre if nothing else. Did your grandparents ever mention that Tommy was a neighbour of theirs on Lord Street? Do you know if they would have lived there at around the same time - up until the 1st world war?

All the best.

Park County School.jpg

Park Hill Flats along line of Norwich Street.jpg

On 24/02/2010 at 09:47, SteveHB said:

Park Hill Slums (1950's) Run time - 18 mins 05 secs (silent)

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/environmental-health-part-park-hill-slums-1-5

Wonderful video. Despite being classed as slums some of the buildings were quite beautiful. And theres not a piece of litter to be seen, suggesting even the poorest of Sheffields people had pride and self respect.

14 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Wonderful video. Despite being classed as slums some of the buildings were quite beautiful. And theres not a piece of litter to be seen, suggesting even the poorest of Sheffields people had pride and self respect.

I've renewed the link address to the Park slum area film because the one above didn't work for me somehow.