WW1 Anti Aircraft Sites

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Anyone know where these were sited? One of them could be the one mentioned in the 'Manor Lodge' thread ?

The image depicts the East and West Position gun emplacements.

Dean.

There was one around here, just outside Beighton. Now a housing estate.

It was some distance from where I lived so I didn't go often, but as kids we sometimes played in the bunkers.

Can't be more precise with the location I'm afraid.

Just found a brief mention of it here. HERE

Thanks for the link Paul cheers.

Where is your image from Steve ?

Dean.

Was put up for auction on fleabay, but that's a while ago.

Anyone know where these were sited? One of them could be the one mentioned in the 'Manor Lodge' thread ?

The image depicts the East and West Position gun emplacements.

Dean.

deansgirl,

sorry i am 110% sure those pics are not of the manor lane gun sites, manor lane gun sites are huge earth works. i know the manor lane sites like the back of my hand, no brick or concrete structures, i put a pic on the manor lodge thread, its on one of the platforms thats dug into the hillside on manor lane, not a brill pic, it was mainly of the old house where i used to live

mick

deans girl,

sorry i am 110% sure those pics are not of the manor lane gun sites, manor lane gun sites are huge earth works. no brick or concrete structures, i put a pic on the manor lodge thread, its on one of the platforms that's dug into the hillside on manor lane, not a brill pic, it was mainly of the old house where i used to live

mick

deansgirl,

i took this yesterday of the manor lane gun site

the bottom part of the banking has been dug away, but the gun platform is intact on top of the hill

mick

Thanks Mick, looks like some ones been chewing away at it !! More history going !

Dean.

deansgirl,

yes its suffered quite of bit of damage,like i said in an earlier post, when we left manor cottage farm in 1993, it was intact.

that's the worse damage, were they have dug into the hillside ( to dump green waste! ) and on that pic, to the left of the circular mound on top, they have dug a huge trench from manor lane down the hillside towards the farm house, and only half backfilled it :angry: how many more ww1 anti aircraft gun sites still exist in sheffield???? and could anything be done to stop anymore damage to the manor lane gun sites??? :unsure:

mick

deansgirl,

i took this yesterday of the manor lane gun site

the bottom part of the banking has been dug away, but the gun platform is intact on top of the hill

mick

more pictures of the WW1 AA gun site on manor lane

[atta

c

hment=22454:DSC01079.JPG] this picture shows where the gun was.

if anyone's going up there to take any pic's i'd hurry up as they are fencing it off

mick