Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

As far as I know there has been no vandalism at all.

No vandalism in the shopping centre, but it is a fairly rough estate in parts.

You don't want to leave your house unattended for too long :o

No vandalism in the shopping centre, but it is a fairly rough estate in parts.

You don't want to leave your house unattended for too long :o

What a sorry site :o Thats what gives a place a bad name :(

Pity the person who has to live next door to it.

Even the front wall is nearly gone - surprised they have not removed the greenery too!

What a sorry site :o Thats what gives a place a bad name :(

Pity the person who has to live next door to it.

Even the front wall is nearly gone - surprised they have not removed the greenery too!

Unfortunately this sort of thing can happen all too often on the estate, but usually the council do a good job of "boarding up" unoccupied houses and they try not to let them stand empty for too long. I suppose these days with lots of unemployment, low incomes and high property prices there is quite a waiting list for council properties so they should be fairly easy to fill. However it has to be habitable for its new residents and many need a lot of work doing depending upon how the previous tennants had left it.

Unfortunately this sort of thing can happen all too often on the estate, but usually the council do a good job of "boarding up" unoccupied houses and they try not to let them stand empty for too long. I suppose these days with lots of unemployment, low incomes and high property prices there is quite a waiting list for council properties so they should be fairly easy to fill. However it has to be habitable for its new residents and many need a lot of work doing depending upon how the previous tennants had left it.

This is the normal way of boarding up an unoccupied council house.

Makes them a lot more secure and a lot less prone to looting and vandalism.

There seems to be a few houses like this at present

Anyone on the Council housing list fancy one? lol

This is the normal way of boarding up an unoccupied council house.

Makes them a lot more secure and a lot less prone to looting and vandalism.

There seems to be a few houses like this at present

Anyone on the Council housing list fancy one? lol

Now this is what happens if you leave a house unoccupied and secured but with the tap left on and water left running :huh:

Especially in this current cold weather, this is likely to happen from a burst or leaking pipe or an overflowing ballcock.

Also on the Arbourthorne its not a good idea to leave your car unattended for any length of time. ;-)

Certainly no longer than it takes to get the wheels off! :o

Don't worry though,

If you have to stop at a red traffic light at Manor Top they are set to change back to green faster than you can remove a wheel lol

Also on the Arbourthorne its not a good idea to leave your car unattended for any length of time. ;-)

Certainly no longer than it takes to get the wheels off! :o

Don't worry though,

If you have to stop at a red traffic light at Manor Top they are set to change back to green faster than you can remove a wheel lol

Phew - thats a relief then!! :o

Phew - thats a relief then!! :o

Suzy, - its another old joke, a "stock response" to use when some outsider asks you on the Arbourthorne "Is it safe to park my car here?".

In the last 50 years my dad has had one car stolen, - and only because he stupidly left it unlocked with the keys in!

Me and my brother have never had a vehicle stolen when we lived at home, - car or motorcycle.

We never had our cars broken into to steal the radio or other items either.

Interestingly since I have moved to the "posher", private housing in S12 (Intake) 23 years ago there have been at least 4 occasions I have had a car broken into or attempted to be broken into and my wife has had her car broken into and stolen from outside the house :o

Makes you wonder then about the relative security of living in different areas. <_<

Suzy, - its another old joke, a "stock response" to use when some outsider asks you on the Arbourthorne "Is it safe to park my car here?".

In the last 50 years my dad has had one car stolen, - and only because he stupidly left it unlocked with the keys in!

Me and my brother have never had a vehicle stolen when we lived at home, - car or motorcycle.

We never had our cars broken into to steal the radio or other items either.

Interestingly since I have moved to the "posher", private housing in S12 (Intake) 23 years ago there have been at least 4 occasions I have had a car broken into or attempted to be broken into and my wife has had her car broken into and stolen from outside the house :o

Makes you wonder then about the relative security of living in different areas. <_<

Just goes to show you eh? Probably most places these days suffer from crime in one shape or another :(

Anyway, now that the snow is thawing out in your part of the world, have the Northern Avenue lights been dismantled yet?

Just goes to show you eh? Probably most places these days suffer from crime in one shape or another :(

Anyway, now that the snow is thawing out in your part of the world, have the Northern Avenue lights been dismantled yet?

No they haven't

The lights in town seem to have been removed but the Northern Avenue Lights are still up.

As witnessed by these pictures, taken this morning, Sunday 17 January, now well after 12th night :o

I Know what you are going to say about Northern Avenue chip shop, -

Lights are well past their use by date, - just like their chips! lol

By gum lad you are good - you can read my mind now - that is exactly what I was going to say he he

Maybe this year they have decided to keep them up all year round :rolleyes: But if thats the case, there wont be room for any bunting in the spring!! lol

By gum lad you are good - you can read my mind now - that is exactly what I was going to say he he

Maybe this year they have decided to keep them up all year round :rolleyes: But if thats the case, there wont be room for any bunting in the spring!! lol

Some places DO keep their Christmas lights up all year round.

Take a look on this link here.

I wish it could be Christmas every day

No they haven't

The lights in town seem to have been removed but the Northern Avenue Lights are still up.

As witnessed by these pictures, taken this morning, Sunday 17 January, now well after 12th night :o

A week on, now the 24th January and the lights are still up.

Not only that, but when I went up there this morning the 2 diagonally mounted Christmas trees sticking out of the wall of BET FRED bookmakers office were actually still lit up :huh:

Some of the Arbourthorne Lights are still switched on!!! :o

A week on, now the 24th January and the lights are still up.

Not only that, but when I went up there this morning the 2 diagonally mounted Christmas trees sticking out of the wall of BET FRED bookmakers office were actually still lit up :huh:

Some of the Arbourthorne Lights are still switched on!!! :o

Still switched on!!!! :o Who is paying the bill then for the electricity??? Has your Mum's electricity bill increased lately :blink:

May be the folks living in and around the lights have been so lifted by their presence, that they have decided to keep them up all year now lol

Still switched on!!!! :o Who is paying the bill then for the electricity??? Has your Mum's electricity bill increased lately :blink:

May be the folks living in and around the lights have been so lifted by their presence, that they have decided to keep them up all year now lol

When I drove past earlier today (Saturday 30 January) on my way to town the light appear to have been removed but I didn't get the chance to have a good look.

I will confirm this when I next go up there, possibly tomorrow morning.

When I drove past earlier today (Saturday 30 January) on my way to town the light appear to have been removed but I didn't get the chance to have a good look.

I will confirm this when I next go up there, possibly tomorrow morning.

It's now confirmed,

The Northern Avenue lights have been taken down. All of them

Some buildings still have the angled brackets in place which hold those Christmas trees at 45 degrees from the wall ready for next year, but all the trees, lights and street lamp mounted lights have gone.

No more Merry Christmas Arbouthorne until next December

THEN

NOW

It may just be a coincidence, but the week they take those lights down a receive a rather large electricity bill :unsure:

I was walking across the Arbourthorne from Northern Avenue shops to Norfolk School to get some pictures for the other thread and took a detour down the cul-de-sac called Brimmesfield Close just off Brimmesfield Road between Algar Road and Cradock Road.

Being a cul-de-sac (a dead end) obviously unless you live down there you wouldn't go down there very often. First time I've been down for over 40 years.

But why are the houses on Brimmesfield Close different to any other houses on the estate?

Were these houses built at the same time (1930's), or later?

Just seems to be a bit of a mystery as to why these buildings on a dead end street seem out of character with the rest of the estate.

It may just be a coincidence, but the week they take those lights down a receive a rather large electricity bill :unsure:

Told you!!!! Someone must have been paying for the extended show of the Northern Lights he he he he

Told you!!!! Someone must have been paying for the extended show of the Northern Lights he hehe he

Yes they were,

...and it looks like it was ME!!! :(:angry: :angry:

I was walking across the Arbourthorne from Northern Avenue shops to Norfolk School to get some pictures for the other thread and took a detour down the cul-de-sac called Brimmesfield Close just off Brimmesfield Road between Algar Road and Cradock Road.

Being a cul-de-sac (a dead end) obviously unless you live down there you wouldn't go down there very often. First time I've been down for over 40 years.

But why are the houses on Brimmesfield Close different to any other houses on the estate?

Were these houses built at the same time (1930's), or later?

Just seems to be a bit of a mystery as to why these buildings on a dead end street seem out of character with the rest of the estate.

I cant picture the cul-de-sac you are referring to. Didnt you take any pics? :blink:

Guest wayneybabes

I cant picture the cul-de-sac you are referring to. Didnt you take any pics? :blink:

i am presuming Dave means the cul-de-sac where nannans flat used to be, just over the back and a little down to the left from her old house

i am presuming Dave means the cul-de-sac where nannans flat used to be, just over the back and a little down to the left from her old house

There is a map of the location here, it's Brimmesfield Close

Many of the buildings on this street are in fact "flats" as wayneybabes states.

No, for some reason I didn't but here is a Google Street view to give you some idea of what the buildings on this street look like

Very different from the typical Arbourthorne 1930's council houses on the rest of the eastate.

No, for some reason I didn't but here is a Google Street view to give you some idea of what the buildings on this street look like

Very different from the typical Arbourthorne 1930's council houses on the rest of the eastate.

Didn't bother photographing the housing on Brimmesfield Close today as camera was saying "memory almost full" and I didn't have a spare card with me.

However, I took this one from Brimmesfield Road just to make the point about the housing styles.

To the right of the lamp post is typical 1930's Arbourthorne council housing

To the left of it is the Brimmesfield Close style of housing.