Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

1970 Kelly's page

141 Northern Avenue, McCann, Frederick

141 Northern Avenue, the first house on Northern Avenue after the Co-Op, so just outside the circle was a big house and was the doctors surgery.

It is currently Northern Avenue medical centre, a practice with 4 or so doctors and 3 nurses.

At the time of the Kellys directory it was a single practice run by Dr. McCann.

Unfortunately like many doctors at that time he was rather too fond of a bottle of spirit and suffered from alcoholism himself.

The story has it that he was struck off as a doctor when he was revealed as "The Arbourthorne Flasher"

Yes it was.

As my immediate family is predominantly male it was probably the least used or visited shop in the entire centre.

I don't remember the cross stich stuff, although they would have had it but I remember their shop window was like Wendolenes in the Wallace and Grommit film "A close shave", - it was full of balls of different coloured wool and loads of old Sirdar knitting patterns which had partially faded through being left in the window so long.

Yes you are right Dave - it was very much like that - but it did seem to do quite well with the more mature ladies of the area who used to go in and choose their wool and have a good old chin wag!

PS I dont seem to be able to open the 1970's Kelly's page in thread 10 - dont normally have any problems.

Guest wayneybabes

Yes you are right Dave - it was very much like that - but it did seem to do quite well with the more mature ladies of the area who used to go in and choose their wool and have a good old chin wag!

Nannan? lol

Here is that back entrance Suzy, where it emerges onto Cawdor Road around the side of the chip shop.

This pathway, wide enough for 1 car in 1 direction was intended as a delivery road with access to private parking for the flats above the shops.

But as you say, they were scarey at night and were a gathering point for trouble and crime.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to take the pics DaveH. I vaguely remember it being more open than this with some sort of wire fence rather than brick and I am sure it wasnt painted cream - but then thats going back many moons ago. he he

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to take the pics DaveH. I vaguely remember it being more open than this with some sort of wire fence rather than brick and I am sure it wasnt painted cream - but then thats going back many moons ago. he he

The other end of it which opens out onto Northern Avenue has had a lot of work done to it over the years as those last 2 shops are relatively recent extensions onto what was a piece of waste land and the path was closed off while they were built.

Interestingly, the 1950's OS map of the centre in the maps section of this site shows all of the buildings in the shopping centre much smaller and less extended than they are today.

The other end of it which opens out onto Northern Avenue has had a lot of work done to it over the years as those last 2 shops are relatively recent extensions onto what was a piece of waste land and the path was closed off while they were built.

Interestingly, the 1950's OS map of the centre in the maps section of this site shows all of the buildings in the shopping centre much smaller and less extended than they are today.

Interesting stuff Dave.

Can you help, as I still cant open the 1970's Kelly page - when I click onto it a page opens but its just blank :(

Interesting stuff Dave.

Can you help, as I still cant open the 1970's Kelly page - when I click onto it a page opens but its just blank :(

Sounds like a browser problem,

try this ..

Binder1.pdf

Interesting stuff Dave.

See if Steve's pdf can help in the post above

I can open the Kelly's page image OK no problem but I can't get Steve's pdf file to open, - but it is Tuesday evening, there's probably some football on and owlstalk is busy or something like that. Everything seems to be slow at opening on the site tonight.

I can open the Kelly's page image OK no problem but I can't get Steve's pdf file to open, - but it is Tuesday evening, there's probably some football on and owlstalk is busy or something like that. Everything seems to be slow at opening on the site tonight.

Thank you my "Knights in Shining Armour" . I still cant open the Kelly's page but can open Steve's PDF he he

I was probably right, Steve's pdf opened perfectly tonight.

So suzy, is there a list of old Arbourthornians there that you remember?

I will scan some more pages, post a list of Arbourthorne streets and alleyways (now what song was that)

I will scan some more pages, post a list of Arbourthorne streets and alleyways (now what song was that)

No not "Streets and alleyways"

It was "Avenues and alleyways"

and it was done by a bloke from Sheffield but obviously NOT from the Arbourthorne, otherwise it would have been

"Northern Avenues and alleyways" he he lol

1950's OS map showing fewer shops than now.

Dave - Forgive me, I may be having a blonde moment here :unsure: But where is Northern Avenue on the pdf? :blink:

Guest wayneybabes

you a fellow owlstalker Dave?

i thought that from what he has previously said lol

Can't remember what I had said about football wayneybabes, - usually I don't mention it a lot so I am definately NOT an owlstalker.

I have to be careful what I say about local football as my friends that do like football seem to be split about 50 : 50 between United and Wednesday so in a way I am more of a local peacekeeper when it comes to local teams.

Of course, being a proud Sheffield lad i like to see BOTH our teams doing well. ;-)

Me and Stuart were not exactly Man McDermott's star students lol

I am trying to remember one of his comments on a school report

"Stuart shows very little effort and even less ability" of very similar words.

I am trying to remember one of his comments on a school report

"Stuart shows very little effort and even less ability" of very similar words.

I got exactly the same comment (and double E grades for effort and achievement) from him if I remember rightly.

When we were in the final year and we had OFFICIALLY dropped PE to do some extra sciences we still got a report from him even though we no longer did his subject :o

I think his comment was "shows little interest", - not suprising if I don't go to the lessons any more because I'm taking something else.

Suprisingly we always got on well with him and i must admit I liked him as a teacher.

Sadly he is another of my "died too young" memories from Norfolk school.

Hopefully coming soon to this thread

Northern Avenue shopping centre has, for the last few years had its own display of Christmas lights which we have called the "Arbourthorne lights". Not very many but enough to make it look different.

I took a few pictures last year with my mobile phone which didn't come out very good but I posted them here

Arbourthorne Lights

This year I will try to get some better ones,

having said that, they haven't put them up yet,

but having said that it is still only November!

At last, the Arbourthorne Lights have gone up this week, so as promised here they are

At last, the Arbourthorne Lights have gone up this week, so as promised here they are

Impressive lolhe helol

Would look even better at night and turned on