Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

Last week I phoned the doctors to order a repeat prescription and to book myself in for some routine blood tests.

I have already been and collected the prescription last Tuesday which will be my last ever visit to the old Northern Avenue surgery.

The best appointment they could offer me for the blood tests was early morning on the following Tuesday, May 31, to which the receptionist added "that's our opening day at the new East Bank Road surgery, you will have to go there and you will be one of the first patients to be seen there"

So, my little "Fairy Tale Story" I told earlier is turning out to be true.

I am going to be one of the first patients to use the new building.

A nice new building with a nice new sharp clean needle in my arm for those blood tests! <_<

Went to the doctors on Tuesday.

Nice new clean building, all new equipment, same old reliable and dependable staff, a chemist for prescriptions in the same building, - it was great.

I feel better already. lol

Went to the doctors on Tuesday.

Nice new clean building, all new equipment, same old reliable and dependable staff, a chemist for prescriptions in the same building, - it was great.

I feel better already. lol

OK so now that it is open and working here is what it finally looks like

View from East Bank Road, not those external automatic window blinds on the south facing outside of the building, - modern hi-tec or what!

Main entrance path on East Bank Road approaching it from the top of Northern Avenue. If you had gone to the wrong surgery (the old one) first then this is the route you would have to take.

OK so now that it is open and working here is what it finally looks like

View from East Bank Road, not those external automatic window blinds on the south facing outside of the building, - modern hi-tec or what!

Main entrance path on East Bank Road approaching it from the top of Northern Avenue. If you had gone to the wrong surgery (the old one) first then this is the route you would have to take.

Main entrance at the corner of East Bank Road and Errington Road

The "555" is to indicate it's new address of 555 East Bank Road

..and it's officail name is now "East Bank Medical Centre"

Previously it was 141 Northern Avenue and was called "Northern Avenue medical centre. I suppose technically the medical centre is no longer part of this topic (topic title, - Northern Avenue chopping centre) BUT in the shopping centre both the old doctors surgery and the Lloyds Chemist shop (with the flat above it where the Herbert's used to live) are up for sale so it will be intersting to see what becomes of these.

Main entrance at the corner of East Bank Road and Errington Road

The "555" is to indicate it's new address of 555 East Bank Road

..and it's officail name is now "East Bank Medical Centre"

Previously it was 141 Northern Avenue and was called "Northern Avenue medical centre. I suppose technically the medical centre is no longer part of this topic (topic title, - Northern Avenue chopping centre) BUT in the shopping centre both the old doctors surgery and the Lloyds Chemist shop (with the flat above it where the Herbert's used to live) are up for sale so it will be intersting to see what becomes of these.

A final view from the other side of Errington Road.

All that open grass in front of the centre is what was, less than 18 months ago, several blocks of maisonettes and Finnegans prefabricated houses, all built in the late 1960's and all now gone. Again it will be interesting to see what new developments are going to take place on this land, or if Arbourthorne Playing Fields are just going to get a lot bigger.

Arbourthorne lights are back up again, same ones as last year but not as many so not as good.

Merry Christmas Arbourthorne

Arbourthorne lights are back up again, same ones as last year but not as many so not as good.

Merry Christmas Arbourthorne

Interestingly there are lights above the old chemists shop in the northeast quadrant even though the chemists is now closed and up for sale and the flat above appears to be unaccupied. The chemist has relocated to the new madical cen tre on East Bank Road.

There are lights above the Co-Op, in the southeast quadrant, including the large "Merry Christmas Arbourthorne" sign, even though the upper flats have all their windows boarded up

The Premier shop in the southwest quadrant has no decorations at all. It is owned and run by Asians who are Islamic so I assume they do not celebrate Christmas, a Christian festival.

The decorations in the northwest quadrant are very sparse, I think because the betting shop has recently changed owners.

Interestingly there are lights above the old chemists shop in the northeast quadrant even though the chemists is now closed and up for sale and the flat above appears to be unaccupied. The chemist has relocated to the new madical cen tre on East Bank Road.

There are lights above the Co-Op, in the southeast quadrant, including the large "Merry Christmas Arbourthorne" sign, even though the upper flats have all their windows boarded up

The Premier shop in the southwest quadrant has no decorations at all. It is owned and run by Asians who are Islamic so I assume they do not celebrate Christmas, a Christian festival.

The decorations in the northwest quadrant are very sparse, I think because the betting shop has recently changed owners.

Did you get any photos Dave whilst the lights were up?

Seems strange that the chemist and the 'Herberts' flat is up for sale :mellow:

A final view from the other side of Errington Road. All that open grass in front of the centre is what was, less than 18 months ago, several blocks of maisonettes and Finnegans prefabricated houses, all built in the late 1960's and all now gone. Again it will be interesting to see what new developments are going to take place on this land, or if Arbourthorne Playing Fields are just going to get a lot bigger.

My goodness me - that is all change - so much so I am having trouble picturing what it all looked like before! Any chance of a before and after pic side by side please?

Did you get any photos Dave whilst the lights were up?

Seems strange that the chemist and the 'Herberts' flat is up for sale :mellow:

Didn't get any photos of the lights this year.

As they are the same lights every year, but fewer of them this year I really didn't see the point.

Now that the medical centre has moved from the edge of the shopping centre to East Bank Road i would have to go out of my way a bit in normal circumstances unless I was taking my mum up to the shops.

My goodness me - that is all change - so much so I am having trouble picturing what it all looked like before! Any chance of a before and after pic side by side please?

Now that depends upon if I have any before pictures in my collections as you can't go back in time to take a "Then" picture if one was never taken at the time.

I don't think I have got a suitable set of before pictures, but I do have a whole set of around 200 or so pictures of the Finnegan prefabs and 3 storey maisonettes formerly on the site where the open fields and the medical centre are now being demolished between September 2009 and July 2011.

I have promised, time permitting, to post these in a new topic at some time called something like "The Demolition of the Arbourthorne" but I am in no hurry to do this for 2 reasons.

Firstly, the large number of pictures I have need sorting and posting with captions, descriptions and discussions about them and that will take some time to do.

Secondly, the demolition work is in phases and is ongoing. All that has been done so far, demolition of the Erringtons between East Bank Road and Eastern Avenue is only phase A. The Berners, south of East Bank Road are still to come down (phase B) and, an area close to my heart due to where I lived in the original 1940's built prefabs, The Algars, north of Eastern Avenue and flanked by Arbourthorne playing fields, is phase C. Each of these phases is timed and phase C is due to end in about 2013-4, however, Council spending cuts and the need to rehouse the current inhabitants from these areas may delay this.

I hope eventually to cover the demolition of all these areas.

Having missed the opportunity just before the demolition of phase A by not taking pictures BEFORE the work started (I didn't know about the plans in advance of the demolition work starting) I have taken a lot of pre demolition pictures of phase C (the area where I used to live) so that a before and after will be more likely, - just means you may have to wait a few years for it.

Didn't get any photos of the lights this year.

As they are the same lights every year, but fewer of them this year I really didn't see the point.

Now that the medical centre has moved from the edge of the shopping centre to East Bank Road i would have to go out of my way a bit in normal circumstances unless I was taking my mum up to the shops.

Been up there this morning.

Christmas and New Year have gone but the lights are still up

The lights are also still up in town

But to be fair it has been very windy all last week, with windspeeds similar to those during the 1962 gale.

So you wouldn't really want to be up ladder bringing down strung together lights that are blowing about everywhere would you.

Both the old chemists shop and flat, and the old doctors surgery, are still up for sale.

Been up there this morning.

Christmas and New Year have gone but the lights are still up

The lights are also still up in town

But to be fair it has been very windy all last week, with windspeeds similar to those during the 1962 gale.

So you wouldn't really want to be up ladder bringing down strung together lights that are blowing about everywhere would you.

Both the old chemists shop and flat, and the old doctors surgery, are still up for sale.

Hope the wind has eased now lol

Now you know what my stock answer is when you tell me properties are up for sale! How about posing as a buyer and getting some footage : don't worry - I guess I know what your answer will be. he he

Now that depends upon if I have any before pictures in my collections as you can't go back in time to take a "Then" picture if one was never taken at the time.

I don't think I have got a suitable set of before pictures, but I do have a whole set of around 200 or so pictures of the Finnegan prefabs and 3 storey maisonettes formerly on the site where the open fields and the medical centre are now being demolished between September 2009 and July 2011.

I have promised, time permitting, to post these in a new topic at some time called something like "The Demolition of the Arbourthorne" but I am in no hurry to do this for 2 reasons.

Firstly, the large number of pictures I have need sorting and posting with captions, descriptions and discussions about them and that will take some time to do.

Secondly, the demolition work is in phases and is ongoing. All that has been done so far, demolition of the Erringtons between East Bank Road and Eastern Avenue is only phase A. The Berners, south of East Bank Road are still to come down (phase B) and, an area close to my heart due to where I lived in the original 1940's built prefabs, The Algars, north of Eastern Avenue and flanked by Arbourthorne playing fields, is phase C. Each of these phases is timed and phase C is due to end in about 2013-4, however, Council spending cuts and the need to rehouse the current inhabitants from these areas may delay this.

I hope eventually to cover the demolition of all these areas.

Having missed the opportunity just before the demolition of phase A by not taking pictures BEFORE the work started (I didn't know about the plans in advance of the demolition work starting) I have taken a lot of pre demolition pictures of phase C (the area where I used to live) so that a before and after will be more likely, - just means you may have to wait a few years for it.

OK quite understand : just don't keep me waiting too long! :rolleyes:

Hope the wind has eased now lol

Now you know what my stock answer is when you tell me properties are up for sale! How about posing as a buyer and getting some footage : don't worry - I guess I know what your answer will be. he he

Wind has eased off now.

According to Paul Hudson, "Paul the weatherman" on BBC local news the wind reached 93mph at lower bradfield and was almost as bad as the 1962 Sheffield gale which demolished many of the original prefabs on the Arbourthorne.

It was the same type of wind, a "lea - wave wind", which according to Paul happens roughly once every 50 years. Coincidently then it is almost exactly 50 years since this last happened.

Wouldn't mind being able to buy the doctors surgery, - that would make a lovely big house.

OK quite understand : just don't keep me waiting too long! :rolleyes:

Could be 2015, if the Council find the funding to rehouse current residents and complete the demolition work and then get on with the job.

Wind has eased off now.

According to Paul Hudson, "Paul the weatherman" on BBC local news the wind reached 93mph at lower bradfield and was almost as bad as the 1962 Sheffield gale which demolished many of the original prefabs on the Arbourthorne.

It was the same type of wind, a "lea - wave wind", which according to Paul happens roughly once every 50 years. Coincidently then it is almost exactly 50 years since this last happened.

Wouldn't mind being able to buy the doctors surgery, - that would make a lovely big house.

Spooky about the wind and the fact that its almost exactly 50 years!

How much is the docs surgery on the market for? Perhaps the ex-Arbourthorners could all chip in and we could buy it between us.

Spooky about the wind and the fact that its almost exactly 50 years!

How much is the docs surgery on the market for? Perhaps the ex-Arbourthorners could all chip in and we could buy it between us.

No idea, but I am sure it could be divided up into a number of flats /"lets" for renting out as a business venture.

Latest news.

The old doctors surgery, 141 Northern Avenue has now reopened.

Not much of a change of use either, - it has changed from a doctors surgery into a vetenary surgery.

Now owned by the PDSA

I'm sure it will come in useful as I know many Arbourthorne residents who own pets but who are in difficult financial circumstances on very tight budgets. At least if their pets are ill it won't leave them worrying about how to afford the vets fees.

The old chemist shop has also come under new management

Situated between a kebab / pizza shop and Arbourthorne fish & chip shop with the Herberts old flat above it, it is now a charity shop

Rain rescue is a charity which supports pets in need.

So now we have a PDSA vets and a pet support charity, - they look after their pets well on the Arbourthorne!

To top it off, Tony's hardware store between the BetFred bookies shop and the ShortCutz hairdressers also sells pet food and pet accessories.

That's 3 different pet based businesses within a few yards of each other.

Latest news.

The old doctors surgery, 141 Northern Avenue has now reopened.

Not much of a change of use either, - it has changed from a doctors surgery into a vetenary surgery.

Now owned by the PDSA

I'm sure it will come in useful as I know many Arbourthorne residents who own pets but who are in difficult financial circumstances on very tight budgets. At least if their pets are ill it won't leave them worrying about how to afford the vets fees.

Looks a bit bland and sad to me :(

The old chemist shop has also come under new management

Situated between a kebab / pizza shop and Arbourthorne fish & chip shop with the Herberts old flat above it, it is now a charity shop

Rain rescue is a charity which supports pets in need.

So now we have a PDSA vets and a pet support charity, - they look after their pets well on the Arbourthorne!

To top it off, Tony's hardware store between the BetFred bookies shop and the ShortCutz hairdressers also sells pet food and pet accessories.

That's 3 different pet based businesses within a few yards of each other.

Just seems plain weird having so many pet based businesses in such a relatively small area. Are the pets taking over :o Is this going to be pet domination on the Arbourthorne? he he

Looks a bit bland and sad to me :(

To be honest it's always looked like.

Even back to the days when it was a one man doctors practice rather than the group practice it has been for a long time now.

Ever since the doctor was found to be "The Arbourthorne Flasher", charged with offences and struck off the medical register, - but that's another story.

Just seems plain weird having so many pet based businesses in such a relatively small area. Are the pets taking over :o Is this going to be pet domination on the Arbourthorne? he he

What a wierd world the Arbourthorne & Norfolk Park is.

Boozers have turned into churches

Boozers have turned into Supermarkets

Boozers have turned into Asian food restraunts

New doctors surguries have been built

Doctors surguries have turned into Vets

Chemists have turned into pet charity shops

High Rise buildings have been blown up

Novelty Tobomoray buildings have taken their place

Schools have been turned into small housing estates

Prefabricated housing has been turned into open wasteland

What are the Town Planning trying to do to this area?

What a wierd world the Arbourthorne & Norfolk Park is.

Boozers have turned into churches

Boozers have turned into Supermarkets

Boozers have turned into Asian food restraunts

New doctors surguries have been built

Doctors surguries have turned into Vets

Chemists have turned into pet charity shops

High Rise buildings have been blown up

Novelty Tobomoray buildings have taken their place

Schools have been turned into small housing estates

Prefabricated housing has been turned into open wasteland

What are the Town Planning trying to do to this area?

Who the heck knows - not even sure that they do! It can hardly be seen as progress. :(

Who the heck knows - not even sure that they do! It can hardly be seen as progress. :(

The open areas created by demolition of the prefabs (Finnegan housing) have been described as "putting the land back to nature". This actually means they have planted a few colourful wild flowers on it, - but they have neglected to remove pavements and building remnants first and of course weeds grow faster and more successfully than the nice wild flowers.

As you say, it isn't progress, and except for the month in May when the plants are actually in full bloom it doesn't actually look very nice either.