Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

Due to open in March, but I was told just before Christmas when I had to visit the doctor that the recent snow and bad weather had put them back by about a month so now it may be April or even early May when it opens.

My next full check up is in May so I should be going to the new building and not the old next time I go.

Work is still progressing at an impressive rate though, - this is the state of play by the end of January 2011

Still going strong, they may not miss that March completion date by much.

They seem to have done a lot more each time I walk past it.

The Vulcan pub at the bottom of Northern Avenue has been closed for some time but it has now found a buyer and has reopened as JADE ORIENT, a Chinese food place.

Details are in the Arbourthorne Playing Fields topic, accessible from this link

The Vulcan is Jade Orient

Guest plain talker

The Vulcan pub at the bottom of Northern Avenue has been closed for some time but it has now found a buyer and has reopened as JADE ORIENT, a Chinese food place.

Details are in the Arbourthorne Playing Fields topic, accessible from this link

The Vulcan is Jade Orient

Sadly, they've done nothing about improving the accessibility, the steps into the building are still there :( (*frowns* )

Sadly, they've done nothing about improving the accessibility, the steps into the building are still there :( (*frowns* )

What steps are they plaintalker?

I can't remember the inside of the building that well as I was barred from it in 1976 but I certainly don't remember any access or steps being a hinderance to getting in.

Still going strong, they may not miss that March completion date by much.

They seem to have done a lot more each time I walk past it.

Almost finished now

They probably won't miss that March deadline by very much, but I notice that it will now be called East Bank Medical Centre and NOT Northern Avenue Medical Centre.

Probably because it is now on East Bank Road / Errington Road and not on Northern Avenue! ;-)

Almost finished now

[They probably won't miss that March deadline by very much, but I notice that it will now be called East Bank Medical Centre and NOT Northern Avenue Medical Centre.

[Probably because it is now on East Bank Road / Errington Road and not on Northern Avenue! ;-)

Goodness me - so much has been happening in such a little space of time (I have heaps of catching up to do then!). Is the new centre open now Dave and how does it "blend" in?

The Vulcan reopened as well, as a Chinese! My goodness me :o Anyone been along with their camera then - would love to see some photos of that and how is the food? Bit surprised in the current economic climate to see a Chinese open but lets hope it does well and survives. :blink:

Goodness me - so much has been happening in such a little space of time (I have heaps of catching up to do then!). Is the new centre open now Dave and how does it "blend" in?

The Vulcan reopened as well, as a Chinese! My goodness me :o Anyone been along with their camera then - would love to see some photos of that and how is the food? Bit surprised in the current economic climate to see a Chinese open but lets hope it does well and survives. :blink:

Not open yet Suzy,

But when it is, as I said earlier in my little "Once Upon A Time" nice little story it will be MY doctors so I will let you know what its like when I finally get to go.

However, I do find that, like a well known local market, it's the people (the NHS staff) that really count not the building and I must say that the doctors and nurses at Northern Avenue give me excellent service and really look after me. I have other family members that go to other local medical centres that are less than satisfied with the service they get.

As to how it blends in I will let you deceide from the pictures of it I have posted.

I think it looks very modern compared to the rest of the estate, - it is 70 years newer than the council houses though! At present it is surrounded by a lot of derelict land created by demolition of the 1960's prefabricated Finnegan houses and the 1970's maisonettes so it depends what they build on this land as well.

I have not seen the Vulcan open as a Chinese yet and it's not the sort of place I tend to go to.

At least I won't be buying the Vulcan myself as an outlet for my "Arbourthorne Ales" lol

Not open yet Suzy,

But when it is, as I said earlier in my little "Once Upon A Time" nice little story it will be MY doctors so I will let you know what its like when I finally get to go.

However, I do find that, like a well known local market, it's the people (the NHS staff) that really count not the building and I must say that the doctors and nurses at Northern Avenue give me excellent service and really look after me. I have other family members that go to other local medical centres that are less than satisfied with the service they get.

As to how it blends in I will let you deceide from the pictures of it I have posted.

I think it looks very modern compared to the rest of the estate, - it is 70 years newer than the council houses though! At present it is surrounded by a lot of derelict land created by demolition of the 1960's prefabricated Finnegan houses and the 1970's maisonettes so it depends what they build on this land as well.

I have not seen the Vulcan open as a Chinese yet and it's not the sort of place I tend to go to.

At least I won't be buying the Vulcan myself as an outlet for my "Arbourthorne Ales" lol

Loved your Once Upon a Time : ever thought about having any of your works published! :)

I am hoping to take a trip back home very shortly, so will try and have a look for myself - though its always difficult trying to fit everything in, so much has changed.

You missed a chance with the Vulcan - I am sure your "Arbourthorne Ales" would have gone down much better than a Chinese he he

Loved your Once Upon a Time : ever thought about having any of your works published! :)

I am hoping to take a trip back home very shortly, so will try and have a look for myself - though its always difficult trying to fit everything in, so much has changed.

You missed a chance with the Vulcan - I am sure your "Arbourthorne Ales" would have gone down much better than a Chinese he he

I don't think any publisher would want to look at any of my ramblings Suzy.

English was not my strong point at school, - even with Man Wright teaching me and most people think I put things across in a slightly eccentric manner at times, - a bit like the "Once upon a time" posts.

As for the Vulcan, it is ILLEGAL to sell home brewed beer (but not to brew it, drink it yourself or give it away to your mates or at a perty) so I never saw it as a business venture.

...and in any case I think I am still barred from the Vulcan.

I don't think any publisher would want to look at any of my ramblings Suzy.

English was not my strong point at school, - even with Man Wright teaching me and most people think I put things across in a slightly eccentric manner at times, - a bit like the "Once upon a time" posts.

As for the Vulcan, it is ILLEGAL to sell home brewed beer (but not to brew it, drink it yourself or give it away to your mates or at a perty) so I never saw it as a business venture.

...and in any case I think I am still barred from the Vulcan.

Man Wright wouldnt be "right" happy with your spelling of 'party' either - had you been on the home brew my friend? lol

Is the new Chinese likely to get a review in The Star I wonder?

Man Wright wouldnt be "right" happy with your spelling of 'party' either - had you been on the home brew my friend? lol

Is the new Chinese likely to get a review in The Star I wonder?

Must have been drinking Suzy.

Wasn't the home brew though, - I have just started a very nice bottle of 12 year aged single malt Scotch whiskey ;-)

I hope they do publish a review on that Chinese place because I haven't worked out yet if it is proper restraunt or just a take away.

Not open yet Suzy,

I had to go to the doctors today as I have not been well again and had to collect a prescription anyway.

Latests news is that it is now due to open on 31 May 2011, having already been put back a month or two. In the surgery there is a message to this effect with a request to make appointments and collect repeat prescriptions, as far as possible well before this date to try and ease pressure on the staff who will have to organise the transfer to the new building (official address is 555 East Bank Road).

Having seen the doctor and collected my prescriptions, one of which I needed immediately, I went into Lloyds Pharmacy on Northern Avenue. The team in there also seemed to be keen and excited about the move as they are having a pharmacy inside the new medical centre, even though the Northern Avenue shop, along with it's upstairs flat once occupied by Mrs Herbert with her children Stephen and Diane, currently owned by Lloyds Pharmacy, is not yet up for sale.

I had to go to the doctors today as I have not been well again and had to collect a prescription anyway.

Latests news is that it is now due to open on 31 May 2011, having already been put back a month or two. In the surgery there is a message to this effect with a request to make appointments and collect repeat prescriptions, as far as possible well before this date to try and ease pressure on the staff who will have to organise the transfer to the new building (official address is 555 East Bank Road).

Having seen the doctor and collected my prescriptions, one of which I needed immediately, I went into Lloyds Pharmacy on Northern Avenue. The team in there also seemed to be keen and excited about the move as they are having a pharmacy inside the new medical centre, even though the Northern Avenue shop, along with it's upstairs flat once occupied by Mrs Herbert with her children Stephen and Diane, currently owned by Lloyds Pharmacy, is not yet up for sale.

Sorry to hear you have been poorly. Seems as though, even though the date has been put back, they are trying to be as prepared as possible, which is good.

I hadnt realised the flat above was owned by Lloyds Pharmacy - still remember visiting Diane (as we have mentioned previously) and the rooms all being off one corridor and how dark the corridor always seemed. I never liked going round the back to the access door either. Wonder where the Herberts are now?

It will be interesting to see the details when it is up for sale.

Hope you are soon feeling better.

Sorry to hear you have been poorly. Seems as though, even though the date has been put back, they are trying to be as prepared as possible, which is good.

Hope you are soon feeling better.

Thanks Suzy, seems to be a virus I have picked up at work, hopefully I am recovering from the worst of it now.

The staff in the health centre are already prepared, - they have known a new centre was going to be built for them several years ago, - even before the demolition work of housing on the site had started. They even had a computer generated artists impression of the new centre on display in the waiting room as early as 2008.

I hadnt realised the flat above was owned by Lloyds Pharmacy - still remember visiting Diane (as we have mentioned previously) and the rooms all being off one corridor and how dark the corridor always seemed. I never liked going round the back to the access door either. Wonder where the Herberts are now?

It will be interesting to see the details when it is up for sale.

I was told that the flat belonged to Lloyds by one of the shop staff when I got talking to them while waiting for my prescription to be made up. One of the women there is another Norfolk graduate, - one of the 3 Atkinson sisters.

There is a chance that the shop and flat won't be sold off, - but I can't see the sense in Lloyds having 2 pharmacies within a hundred yards or so of each other and one of them is a large, modern, state of the art pharmacy located inside a medical centre, - unless of course they keep the old one just to sell bottles of shampoo, hairspray and cometics, - things that chemists shops regularly sell which are not exactly "medical" in nature.

I met the Herberts when they first arrived in Sheffield and moved into the flat in 1964. They had moved from Blackpool. The 2 children, Stephen and Diane were with there mother and I cannot remember ever seeing a Mr. Herbert. Stephen was a good friend of mine throughout the Junior school until he passed his 11+ and deceided to go to secondary school at Concorde Park, - quite a daily trek from the Arbourthorne, - and I didn't see a deal of him after that. His younger sister did go to Norfolk but I didn't have a lot to do with her and lost touch with the family in the early 1970's.

I was told that the flat belonged to Lloyds by one of the shop staff when I got talking to them while waiting for my prescription to be made up. One of the women there is another Norfolk graduate, - one of the 3 Atkinson sisters.

There is a chance that the shop and flat won't be sold off, - but I can't see the sense in Lloyds having 2 pharmacies within a hundred yards or so of each other and one of them is a large, modern, state of the art pharmacy located inside a medical centre, - unless of course they keep the old one just to sell bottles of shampoo, hairspray and cometics, - things that chemists shops regularly sell which are not exactly "medical" in nature.

I met the Herberts when they first arrived in Sheffield and moved into the flat in 1964. They had moved from Blackpool. The 2 children, Stephen and Diane were with there mother and I cannot remember ever seeing a Mr. Herbert. Stephen was a good friend of mine throughout the Junior school until he passed his 11+ and deceided to go to secondary school at Concorde Park, - quite a daily trek from the Arbourthorne, - and I didn't see a deal of him after that. His younger sister did go to Norfolk but I didn't have a lot to do with her and lost touch with the family in the early 1970's.

Thanks for the info' Dave - can't see the point in having 2 pharmacies myself either. I am racking my brain now to remember the Atkinson sisters :blink:

I can't remember Diane going up to the Secondary,although she could have, but she was certainly in the Juniors. I do have a photo somewhere of the class of 1968 before we moved up to Secondary and she is definitely on that - when I find it I will let you know as I may need help at that time getting it onto the site. Pity we both lost touch with them.

Another task for you : if it does come up for sale get round there with the video camera and get some footage of the flat outside and in - I am sure we could come up with some music to accompany it - I will leave that thought with you lol

I can't remember Diane going up to the Secondary,although she could have, but she was certainly in the Juniors. I do have a photo somewhere of the class of 1968 before we moved up to Secondary and she is definitely on that - when I find it I will let you know as I may need help at that time getting it onto the site. Pity we both lost touch with them.

Another task for you : if it does come up for sale get round there with the video camera and get some footage of the flat outside and in - I am sure we could come up with some music to accompany it - I will leave that thought with you lol

She did go to Norfolk secondary school and was there while me and Stuart were there but a couple of years younger so we would have left before she did. I seem to remember that at the time she was a friend of Patricia Lane and Michelle Dinnegan, both of which lived on Algar Road.

Well, - if a suitable boozer comes on the market it could be an outlet for my "Arbourthorne Ales"

Now, if a pharmacy comes on the market, - by professional qualification I am a chemist so I may be interested.

Hmmm... I wonder what chemical potions I can dream up to sell from my own pharmacy. <_<

"Arbourthorne Antibiotics" to go with the "Arbourthorne Ales", - but NOT to be taken at the same time.

I am racking my brain now to remember the Atkinson sisters :blink:

They lived on the Manor side of City Road and all went to Norfolk School.

The eldest, Diane, was my cousins childhood girlfriend and they married in the early 1970's

The middle one, Susan, was the same age as me and Stuart and was in the same class as us all through secondary school (or in my case Juniour and Infant school as well)

The youngest, Sharon, is the one who works for Lloyds pharmacy.

I hope they do publish a review on that Chinese place because I haven't worked out yet if it is proper restraunt or just a take away.

So The Vulcan is a Chinese food outlet and latest news is that The Cutlers at Herdings is to become a Bangladeshi Restraunt.

I can see I am going to be eating a lot more rather than drinking.

Guest plain talker

What steps are they plaintalker?

I can't remember the inside of the building that well as I was barred from it in 1976 but I certainly don't remember any access or steps being a hinderance to getting in.

There's a kerb to get up, off the car parking area, Dave, and then to get into both sides (the tap room and the "Best" room) of the building, there's another step to negotiate, whichever door you want to go in.

No good for someone with mobility problems, who uses a chair.

Tap Room entrance

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Northern+Avenue,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.755894,38.803711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Northern+Ave,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.363345,-1.440432&spn=0.009219,0.018947&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.363251,-1.440352&panoid=etsEBgFF2CX959ktWAzqhg&cbp=12,244.29,,3,12.73

Best Room entrance

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Northern+Avenue,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.755894,38.803711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Northern+Ave,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.363345,-1.440432&spn=0.009219,0.018947&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.363454,-1.440546&panoid=izcjLqDtPvPXTsRIVHs5dg&cbp=12,213.87,,3,7.94

There's a kerb to get up, off the car parking area, Dave, and then to get into both sides (the tap room and the "Best" room) of the building, there's another step to negotiate, whichever door you want to go in.

No good for someone with mobility problems, who uses a chair.

Tap Room entrance

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Northern+Avenue,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.755894,38.803711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Northern+Ave,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.363345,-1.440432&spn=0.009219,0.018947&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.363251,-1.440352&panoid=etsEBgFF2CX959ktWAzqhg&cbp=12,244.29,,3,12.73

Best Room entrance

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Northern+Avenue,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.755894,38.803711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Northern+Ave,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.363345,-1.440432&spn=0.009219,0.018947&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.363454,-1.440546&panoid=izcjLqDtPvPXTsRIVHs5dg&cbp=12,213.87,,3,7.94

I'm with you now plaintalker.

For some reason I imagined we were talking about a flight of stairs and not just a couple of isolated steps so thanks for the images to clear things up.

However, as you say it would seriously hinder disabled access and egress to the building.

Now that could explain why a couple of disabled friends of mine, Pete Orton who I have mentioned before, and my friend Fred Wilson's wife, June, who was wheelchair bound, always went in the Fellbrig which had much better access without a lot of steps.

Guest plain talker

I'm with you now plaintalker.

For some reason I imagined we were talking about a flight of stairs and not just a couple of isolated steps so thanks for the images to clear things up.

However, as you say it would seriously hinder disabled access and egress to the building.

Now that could explain why a couple of disabled friends of mine, Pete Orton who I have mentioned before, and my friend Fred Wilson's wife, June, who was wheelchair bound, always went in the Fellbrig which had much better access without a lot of steps.

I know Pete O. he was sat just down from me at the Lane this afternoon.

I know Pete O. he was sat just down from me at the Lane this afternoon.

He has always been a very keen Blades fan all his life.

Nice to know he is still getting down Bramall lane and enjoying watching United play.

Almost finished now

They probably won't miss that March deadline by very much, but I notice that it will now be called East Bank Medical Centre and NOT Northern Avenue Medical Centre.

Probably because it is now on East Bank Road / Errington Road and not on Northern Avenue! ;-)

Just a month further on and we are almost there.

Main entrance nearly complete

A new Lloyds Pharmacy

Latest I have from my doctors is that they will be moving last week in May and due to open in these new premises the first week in June. I may have 1 or 2 more visits to the old surgery left then.

Latest I have from my doctors is that they will be moving last week in May and due to open in these new premises the first week in June. I may have 1 or 2 more visits to the old surgery left then.

Last week I phoned the doctors to order a repeat prescription and to book myself in for some routine blood tests.

I have already been and collected the prescription last Tuesday which will be my last ever visit to the old Northern Avenue surgery.

The best appointment they could offer me for the blood tests was early morning on the following Tuesday, May 31, to which the receptionist added "that's our opening day at the new East Bank Road surgery, you will have to go there and you will be one of the first patients to be seen there"

So, my little "Fairy Tale Story" I told earlier is turning out to be true.

I am going to be one of the first patients to use the new building.

A nice new building with a nice new sharp clean needle in my arm for those blood tests! <_<