Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

That's a relief then!!!

Are the Northern Avenue Christmas lights still burning bright? :blink: Can they be seen from space? :blink:

Northern Avenue lights are still on and burning bright

Not visible from space though, - are you confusing them with the Northern Lights (aurora borelialis) again? lol

Northern Avenue lights are still on and burning bright

Not visible from space though, - are you confusing them with the Northern Lights (aurora borelialis) again? lol

We can but live in hope !!! lollol lol

No, I live in Sheffield not Hope,

Hope is out near Hathersage and Castleton! he helol

Stop it!!! I nearly choked on my cuppa he he he he

Stop it!!! I nearly choked on my cuppa he hehe he

It was only an old and very well worn joke,

A sort of local stock response to anyone who says anything about "living in Hope"

A sort of local stock response to anyone who says anything about "living in Hope"

You know what they say "The old ones are always the best"

By the way, just an after thought, but has there ever been any vandalism to the lights since they have been on the go? Not that I am suggesting there should be - just wondered :blink:

You know what they say "The old ones are always the best"

By the way, just an after thought, but has there ever been any vandalism to the lights since they have been on the go? Not that I am suggesting there should be - just wondered :blink:

As far as I know there has been no vandalism at all.

There are some unemployed people who would like to "live in Jeopardy"

..because they have heard on the news that there are 10.000 jobs there he he

There are some unemployed people who would like to "live in Jeopardy"

..because they have heard on the news that there are 10.000 jobs there he he

he hehe he Its the way you tell them!!!

PS Glad to hear Northern lights are safe and well and not been targetted by vandals. Will they be dismantled tomorrow??

he hehe he Its the way you tell them!!!

PS Glad to hear Northern lights are safe and well and not been targetted by vandals. Will they be dismantled tomorrow??

Don't know if they are down yet but we have had quite a lot of snow over the last 2 days which may have prevented dismantling work.

My mum had a right job getting up there to the shops in it.

I have had a very rough day at work as the school had to close early due to snow but it took me about 2 hours to get home instead of the normal half an hour.

I need to go back to the health centre to get some test results (that sample) and to collect my repeat prescriptions.

So weather permitting I will try and get up there sometime this week and let you know.

Don't know if they are down yet but we have had quite a lot of snow over the last 2 days which may have prevented dismantling work.

My mum had a right job getting up there to the shops in it.

I have had a very rough day at work as the school had to close early due to snow but it took me about 2 hours to get home instead of the normal half an hour.

I need to go back to the health centre to get some test results (that sample) and to collect my repeat prescriptions.

So weather permitting I will try and get up there sometime this week and let you know.

No work today, school closed due to snow.

So that gave me the chance to get down Northern Avenue to get that prescription and to check that my mum had any stuff she needed from the shops.

The answer to your question is NO, they have not taken the "Arbourthorne Lights" down yet and its now 6th January.

{What does that mean? Bad luck or something?}

However, that snow is causing a few problems at present

You're too kind Dave.

To be honest, I never got out of the car! (bit too gloomy to go walkabout!) :unsure:

I'd have taken more photos but the Premier supermarket across the road has massive security lights on the outside that were lighting up the fog and making the visibility worse. Otherwise I'd have got the snowflakes as well.

The images in the window are unfortunately only reflections. Had this been Halloween, a little photoshopping might have been in order. lol

Not lit up at night but nicely reflecting that low winter sun, here is the snowflake, which goes well with the current wether.

The answer to your question is NO, they have not taken the "Arbourthorne Lights" down yet and its now 6th January.

{What does that mean? Bad luck or something?}

However, that snow is causing a few problems at present

It's now the 9th of January, well post the due date, and the lights are still up.

But a trip into town revealed that all the other Christmas lights in the City are also still up.

I suppose once the weather eases and it becomes safe to do so they will all be removed until next Christmas.

Not lit up at night but nicely reflecting that low winter sun, here is the snowflake, which goes well with the current wether.

Very nice, "A postcard from snowy Arbourthorne" lol

Very nice, "A postcard from snowy Arbourthorne" lol

Even at the best of times and in the best of weather I don't think I would be sending anyone a postcard from Arbourthorne

..at least not with the wording "Wish You Were Here" lol

Even at the best of times and in the best of weather I don't think I would be sending anyone a postcard from Arbourthorne

..at least not with the wording "Wish You Were Here" lol

Perhaps a postcard something like this one then

You forgot the question mark (?) lol

If I had put a question mark after the "Wish You were Here" then I think the answer to the question would be a definate NO lol

Perhaps a postcard something like this one then

Fantastic - job well done there Dave.

Have you ever considered a job in the tourist industry? he he

And yes, it is bad luck to keep the decorations up after the 12th night, no matter what the reason may be (or so they say) lol

PS Hope the test results were OK.

Fantastic - job well done there Dave.

Have you ever considered a job in the tourist industry? he he

And yes, it is bad luck to keep the decorations up after the 12th night, no matter what the reason may be (or so they say) lol

PS Hope the test results were OK.

Thanks suzy, test results were fine / all clear, but as with all these tests, more especially the blood tests, if they are clear it is always "repeat in 6 months" or at the most "repeat in 12 months" so I feel as though I am always at the doctors these days. I have to go every month just to pick up my prescription. At least I feel as though they really are looking after my health.

Glad you liked the postcard.

Arbourthorne isn't really a "wish you were here" tourist place is it, - but I have spent a lot of time and effort over the years trying to convince people that it isn't all the rough area it is made out to be and that there are a hell of a lot of good, decent people living there, its a case of the minority giving the majority a bad name. So I suppose I have done my bit for Arbourthorne public relations in my time,

Thanks suzy, test results were fine / all clear, but as with all these tests, more especially the blood tests, if they are clear it is always "repeat in 6 months" or at the most "repeat in 12 months" so I feel as though I am always at the doctors these days. I have to go every month just to pick up my prescription. At least I feel as though they really are looking after my health.

Glad you liked the postcard.

Arbourthorne isn't really a "wish you were here" tourist place is it, - but I have spent a lot of time and effort over the years trying to convince people that it isn't all the rough area it is made out to be and that there are a hell of a lot of good, decent people living there, its a case of the minority giving the majority a bad name. So I suppose I have done my bit for Arbourthorne public relations in my time,

You certainly have and may I say as an "ex-Arbourthornian" (just made that one up!) what a grand job you have/and are doing - keep up the good work. lol

You certainly have and may I say as an "ex-Arbourthornian" (just made that one up!) what a grand job you have/and are doing - keep up the good work. lol

Thats 2 of us Arbourthornians then. lol

As you know I try to do a fair bit to promote our old school, Norfolk, in a better way than many people would like to see it.

If it was such a bad school how come so many of its ex students (graduates), and there are about a dozen of them who are members of Sheffield History, have done so well for themselves since leaving school? <_<

Thats 2 of us Arbourthornians then. lol

As you know I try to do a fair bit to promote our old school, Norfolk, in a better way than many people would like to see it.

If it was such a bad school how come so many of its ex students (graduates), and there are about a dozen of them who are members of Sheffield History, have done so well for themselves since leaving school? <_<

I suppose it is only fitting that my 100th post should be on this subject! lollol

Totally agree with you and why pull it down in the first place :angry: The least that should have been done is a plaque put up to remember the place by.

Hope that the Northern Avenue Shopping Centre continues to serve the community in the way it has always done. lol

Found on YouTube

"Race to the Spires"

Someone obviously in a hurry to get from Sheffield University back to the Spires Centre (Hurlfield School, East Bank Road)

I bet he just couldn't bear not to be on the Arbourthorne he helol

Race to the Spires

I'm sure Stuart or someone will tell me how to get this load of code

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

To embed the video directly without the need for the link.

Found on YouTube

"Race to the Spires"

Someone obviously in a hurry to get from Sheffield University back to the Spires Centre (Hurlfield School, East Bank Road)

I bet he just couldn't bear not to be on the Arbourthorne he helol

Race to the Spires

I'm sure Stuart or someone will tell me how to get this load of code

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

To embed the video directly without the need for the link.

Thank you helpful fairy lol

Much easier to use, and quicker to access, when the link is embeded.