Northern Avenue Shopping Centre Arbourthorne

DaveH

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ARBOURTHORNE

A pair of matching street lamp designs facing each other on opposite sides of the road.

Just as Blackpool Illuminations has the "Star Gate" this is the "Arbourthorne Gate"

It looks as though, like Peter Kaye's Pheonix Nights club, they are powered off the street lamp! :o

A pair of matching street lamp designs facing each other on opposite sides of the road.

Just as Blackpool Illuminations has the "Star Gate" this is the "Arbourthorne Gate"

It looks as though, like Peter Kaye's Pheonix Nights club, they are powered off the street lamp! :o

Another street lamp light, this time with a snowflake design

Impressive lolhe helol

Would look even better at night and turned on

Look Mate,

I take enough risks as it is walking around dangerous areas like the Manor and Arbourthorne armed with a camera to get pioctures for this site.

Vox didn't award me the Manortheyear award for nothing you know lol

I'm not stupid enough to go waving a camera around in the middle of Northern Avenue shopping centre at night, - that really is asking for trouble.

But seriously, and as it happens I have got a few early evening doctors appointments down there just before Christmas so I'll try and see what I can do.

Northern Avenue Chip Shop (Arbourthorne Fish Bar)

Notice that it has Christmas decorations.

{wayneybabes and suzy, - notice that Beckets at Manor Top doesn't have Christmas Decorations}

I am still looking for a good Christian fish and chip shop, -

One where you can feed the whole of Sheffield for just the cost of 5 loaves and 2 fish he helol

{or was it 2 loaves and 5 fish, :huh::unsure: , - can't remember because we spent half of our RE lessons doing extra maths with Pop Ward}

Northern Avenue Chip Shop (Arbourthorne Fish Bar)

Notice that it has Christmas decorations.

{wayneybabes and suzy, - notice that Beckets at Manor Top doesn't have Christmas Decorations}

I am still looking for a good Christian fish and chip shop, -

One where you can feed the whole of Sheffield for just the cost of 5 loaves and 2 fish he helol

{or was it 2 loaves and 5 fish, :huh::unsure: , - can't remember because we spent half of our RE lessons doing extra maths with Pop Ward}

OK so there not actually lights are they, they are just Christmas trees stuck out of the wall at an angle of 45 degrees :blink:

But they're better than nothing at Christmas ;-)

OK so there not actually lights are they, they are just Christmas trees stuck out of the wall at an angle of 45 degrees :blink:

But there better than nothing at Christmas ;-)

The Chemist shop has proper lights outside though

I wonder what Stephen and Diane Herbert would have thought of that, - Christmas lights outside their living room window :unsure:

Impressive lolhe helol

Would look even better at night and turned on

How about some pictures of the Bradway Lights?

You're not likely to get beaten up out there ;-)

Oops sorry, I forgot, - the rich boys on the posh private estates HAVEN'T GOT ANY LIGHTS have they he he he he lol

141 Northern Avenue, McCann, Frederick

141 Northern Avenue, the first house on Northern Avenue after the Co-Op, so just outside the circle was a big house and was the doctors surgery.

It is currently Northern Avenue medical centre, a practice with 4 or so doctors and 3 nurses.

At the time of the Kellys directory it was a single practice run by Dr. McCann.

Unfortunately like many doctors at that time he was rather too fond of a bottle of spirit and suffered from alcoholism himself.

The story has it that he was struck off as a doctor when he was revealed as "The Arbourthorne Flasher"

NORTHERN AVENUE MEDICAL CENTRE

Just next to the Co-Op.

There are plans to build a new Northern Avenue medical centre (and from the plans it looks very posh) but it won't be on this site. More likely to be where the maisonettes and Finnegan houses are currently being cleared.

Guest wayneybabes

hopefully, they didnt get Ray Von to wire them up (although, this is the arbourthorne so it is possible lol )

hopefully, they didnt get Ray Von to wire them up (although, this is the arbourthorne so it is possible lol )

As far as I am aware, normal light bulbs work on single phase AC at an RMS of about 240V

Street lamps are three phase AC at an RMS of around 410V

So, except for its comedy value in Phoenix Nights it simply wouldn't work.

I don't recommend trying to get free elctricity at night by connecting your house to the nearest street lamp, - get an ECONOMY 7 tarrif instead ;-)

No not "Streets and alleyways"

It was "Avenues and alleyways"

and it was done by a bloke from Sheffield but obviously NOT from the Arbourthorne, otherwise it would have been

"Northern Avenues and alleyways" he helol

When Stuart mentioned the streets and alleyways (Northern Avenues and alleyways in Tony Christie parlance) I was reminded that there are indeed some alleyways that connect between streets on the Arbourthorne estate very close to the shopping centre. Not the safest of places in this area so I set myself the challenge of getting a picture or two.

I have spaoken to Stuart about this down the pub and we had the usual discussion about weather these are "Alleyways" or actually "Pathways" or "Footpaths", "Jennels", "Ginnels", "Gennels", "Alleys" or "Back Entries" and what the difference between each one actually is.

We both agreed that the ones on the Arbourthorne are actually "Eightfoots", because they were originally 8 feet wide. My grandad worked for many years for Sheffield Corporation Works Dept. building roads and paths and he maintained that these were "Eightfoots" because when they were first put down with paving slabs ("pavers") which are 2 feet by 2 feet square, rather than with tarmac or some other surface the pathway was 4 pavers wide, - hence 8 feet wide. Apparently there were also "Sixfoots" and "Fourfoots" and it would be possible to have even wider paths (Tenfoots?) by by then they were up to road widths.

This one runs between Aylward Road and Eastern Avenue

While this one runs between Eastern Avenue and Algar Road

In another topic which SteveHB and Stuart0742 have contributed to which is called something like, -

"A Load Of Old Bollards" {link fairy required}

There are details of certain makes and types of cast iron bollards used as street furniture.

On the Arbourthorne each "Eightfoot" end has a single bollard of this design.

The Chemist shop has proper lights outside though

I wonder what Stephen and Diane Herbert would have thought of that, - Christmas lights outside their living room window :unsure:

AMAZING - the Northern Lights - didnt realise Joanna Lumley had been at the Northern Avenue shops he he

Must be off putting to have them right outside your window - still, must save on the electricity bill by relying on the Xmas lights to light up your living room!

AMAZING - the Northern Lights - didnt realise Joanna Lumley had been at the Northern Avenue shops he he

Slight bit of confusion there suzy, we are talking about the Northern AVENUE Lights, NOT the Northern Lights (Aurora Borelialis)

The Northern Lights (Aurora Borelialis)

The Northern AVENUE Lights.

lol

Must be off putting to have them right outside your window - still, must save on the electricity bill by relying on the Xmas lights to light up your living room!

I don't know, - some people these days seem to decorate their entire house exterior and gardens with more lights per square foot than Blackpool Illuminations, Picadilly Circus or even Las Vegas.

They don't seem to find it off putting and it certainly doesn't save on their electricity bills, - it must cost them a fortune!

Trust me to pick the crappiest night for taking piccies :rolleyes:

I was out and about anyway, but I think I'll leave it up to DaveH to do a proper job.

I was out and about anyway, but I think I'll leave it up to DaveH to do a proper job.

I don't need to now Markbaby, you have done a cracking job to get these, and without getting crack (an illegal drug) or getting cracked (beaten up) for being in this quite rough area with a camera after dark. lol

I was going to take some pictures on the evening of 22 December when I have a doctors appointment at the Northern Avenue surgery but just like you that will be very weather dependent on what the results are like.

The second picture "HAPPY CHRISTMAS ARBOURTHORNE" is brilliant.

There are 2 pictures of the lights above the chemists shop (Lloyds Pharmacy) around what was the Herberts flat.

The last picture which is a close up is looking into the Herberts living room window.

Is it my imagination or is there a ghostly person stood in the half light of that window, - the one where there is clearly a light on in the room (unless it is a reflection of one of the lights outside on the window). The person appears to be looking out of the window down to the street, possibly at Markbaby taking the picture. :o

You're too kind Dave.

To be honest, I never got out of the car! (bit too gloomy to go walkabout!) :unsure:

I'd have taken more photos but the Premier supermarket across the road has MASSIVE security lights on the outside that were lighting up the fog and making the visibility worse. Otherwise I'd have got the snowflakes as well.

The images in the window are unfortunately only reflections. Had this been Halloween, a little photoshopping might have been in order. lol

You're too kind Dave.

To be honest, I never got out of the car! (bit too gloomy to go walkabout!) :unsure:

I'd have taken more photos but the Premier supermarket across the road has massive security lights on the outside that were lighting up the fog and making the visibility worse. Otherwise I'd have got the snowflakes as well.

The images in the window are unfortunately only reflections. Had this been Halloween, a little photoshopping might have been in order. lol

Safest thing to do around there after dark, keep the car doors locked and don't let the car stop moving or they will have your wheels off ;-)

No photoshopping of your image here Markbaby, just a bit of cropping down to the relevant bit.

It looks like the ghost of Christmas Past staring out of that window to me.

No photoshopping of your image here Markbaby, just a bit of cropping down to the relevant bit.

It looks like the ghost of Christmas Past staring out of that window to me.

A less prominent but very important sign on the Arbourthorne

What a pity that many motorists moan about the placing of speed bumps on roads across the estate in recent years but can't be bothered to act on the advice given on this sign without them.

No Markbaby, you didn't pick the crappiest night to take the pictures, I did :angry:

Having being committed to going this evening due to a doctors appointment at Northern Avenue Surgery the weather and other conditions conspired against me.

I wasn't in a car but it was freezing cold, it was very slippery and it was snowing. Lighting conditions were not good.

I had to rely on my mobile phone rather than a camera as I had to take a cart load of stuff to the doctors with me (ALL my prescribed medicines and a bottle of p***) and a load of Christmas presents down to my mums for family members I won't get to see over the holiday.

Not suprisingly the results are unimpressive, so I think we'll stick with YOUR pictures of the Arbourthorne lights.

No Markbaby, you didn't pick the crappiest night to take the pictures, I did :angry:

Having being committed to going this evening due to a doctors appointment at Northern Avenue Surgery the weather and other conditions conspired against me.

I wasn't in a car but it was freezing cold, it was very slippery and it was snowing. Lighting conditions were not good.

I had to rely on my mobile phone rather than a camera as I had to take a cart load of stuff to the doctors with me (ALL my prescribed medicines and a bottle of p***) and a load of Christmas presents down to my mums for family members I won't get to see over the holiday.

Not suprisingly the results are unimpressive, so I think we'll stick with YOUR pictures of the Arbourthorne lights.

As long as you got the bottle of liquid to the Docs and the prezzies to your Mums and not the other way round he he

The lights do look pretty impressive though - wonder if you can see them from outer space he he he he

As long as you got the bottle of liquid to the Docs and the prezzies to your Mums and not the other way round he he

The lights do look pretty impressive though - wonder if you can see them from outer space he hehe he

I think I got them the right way around,

My mum hasn't said anything was wrong with the presents and seemed quite pleased with them when she phoned up on Christmas Day.

..and I haven't had a special thank you from my doctor for an unexpected Christmas gift either.

I think I got them the right way around,

My mum hasn't said anything was wrong with the presents and seemed quite pleased with them when she phoned up on Christmas Day.

..and I haven't had a special thank you from my doctor for an unexpected Christmas gift either.

That's a relief then!!!

Are the Northern Avenue Christmas lights still burning bright? :blink: Can they be seen from space? :blink: