History of Hanover Methodist Centre

Guest barnabus

Guest barnabus

I am interested in finding out the history of the Hanover Methodist Centre, on Upper Hanover Way. If anyone has any ideas, memories, or is able to dig any info up, it would be much appreciated.

I have been told that the building was at one time much bigger than it is at the moment, stretching out into what is now the middle of the dual carriageway, and that there was once a poor-house (or work house) based on this site. I would appreciate any confirmation about this.

I am a member of the church group that purchased the buildings in Nov 2008, and would be interested in finding out any info at all, to allow us to create a plaque or display of what used to be on the site, when we have refurbished the site to have a drop-in centre, worship centre, cafe and on-site accomodation for members of our church.

Thanks in anticipation

Barnabus

Guest barnabus

Many Thanks Richard...

Amazing the difference between our building now and back then... it was HUGE!!!!

would love to know more... where do I start?

May not be what you want but Sheffield Archives have the baptism records of Hanover Chapel (UM) from 1852 - 1988 at reference NR 2272/1-2.

They also have Hanover United Methodist Church, Sheffield: records incl Leaders' resolution books and account book, Tune Book and Hymnal and Hanover Ladies Sewing Meeting minute book and photographs 1862-1931 (NR) . These may be more help.

John

I am interested in finding out the history of the Hanover Methodist Centre, on Upper Hanover Way. If anyone has any ideas, memories, or is able to dig any info up, it would be much appreciated.

I have been told that the building was at one time much bigger than it is at the moment, stretching out into what is now the middle of the dual carriageway, and that there was once a poor-house (or work house) based on this site. I would appreciate any confirmation about this.

I am a member of the church group that purchased the buildings in Nov 2008, and would be interested in finding out any info at all, to allow us to create a plaque or display of what used to be on the site, when we have refurbished the site to have a drop-in centre, worship centre, cafe and on-site accomodation for members of our church.

Thanks in anticipation

Barnabus

In the 1930's I lived within a few hundred yards from the original Hanover Methodist Church and attended Sunday School there for many years,the interior was a huge rambling place with rooms and such like along warrens of corridors, the actual place of worship was a magnificent place,and we were only allowed access during the annual Thanksgiving Services, and we knew them as the "Sermons"the minister at that time was the Rev A.J.Hockin( I think that is correct) and the story was he had been a missionary overseas somewhere and this could be borne out by the two or three African Grey parrots he had in cages in his back yard.The former Sheffield gang policeman Walter Loxley and his family were members of the church and his eldest son Walter held some official position within the church hierachy.

On West St at the bottom of Regent St was a ladies and babies outfitters,Ogdens, and the ladies of this family were Sunday school teachers, and old Mr Ogden, a lovely gentleman was a generous benefactor to the chapel.

I hope this is of interest to you and will try and dredge more memories from my ageing memory

Guest barnabus

In the 1930's I lived within a few hundred yards from the original Hanover Methodist Church and attended Sunday School there for many years,the interior was a huge rambling place with rooms and such like along warrens of corridors, the actual place of worship was a magnificent place,and we were only allowed access during the annual Thanksgiving Services, and we knew them as the "Sermons"the minister at that time was the Rev A.J.Hockin( I think that is correct) and the story was he had been a missionary overseas somewhere and this could be borne out by the two or three African Grey parrots he had in cages in his back yard.The former Sheffield gang policeman Walter Loxley and his family were members of the church and his eldest son Walter held some official position within the church hierachy.

On West St at the bottom of Regent St was a ladies and babies outfitters,Ogdens, and the ladies of this family were Sunday school teachers, and old Mr Ogden, a lovely gentleman was a generous benefactor to the chapel.

I hope this is of interest to you and will try and dredge more memories from my ageing memory

It would be great if you could...

Many thanks

It would be great if you could...

Many thanks

The most vivid memories are of the outdoor summer event which took place somewhere in the Bents Green area, I think, before the war, with all kinds of activities, races, games, picnic teas, everything to enjoy and of course we would look forward to this for many weeks.

Another were the Sunday School concerts which always played to packed houses, and I had the good fortune to be picked in two at least,when I was supposed to be a soldier,and sang a song something like"We are Soldiers in the Army, and looking for some Fun" and on the night my Mum, Dad, Aunts and Uncles were all there to see my performance, and when I sang all my my relations clapped and cheered shouting encore! encore!which I did not know what that meant but one of the adults in the wings said "Sing it again"which I did.

Another masterpiece was the Umberella Man with yours truly in the lead role, again to enthusiastic support from my family.

On Monday evenings was the Band of Hope during which we we were lectured on the evils of strong drink, and later during the war a youth club was opened with the usual games and activities, and me and my great pal Ken Wild decided to try this smoking lark in the gym behind the vaulting horse and we were both sick, and I have never smoked since and neither did Ken.

My memories of Hanover Methodist Church Sunday school are very vivid and very happy ones.

Guest barnabus

The most vivid memories are of the outdoor summer event which took place somewhere in the Bents Green area, I think, before the war, with all kinds of activities, races, games, picnic teas, everything to enjoy and of course we would look forward to this for many weeks.

Another were the Sunday School concerts which always played to packed houses, and I had the good fortune to be picked in two at least,when I was supposed to be a soldier,and sang a song something like"We are Soldiers in the Army, and looking for some Fun" and on the night my Mum, Dad, Aunts and Uncles were all there to see my performance, and when I sang all my my relations clapped and cheered shouting encore! encore!which I did not know what that meant but one of the adults in the wings said "Sing it again"which I did.

Another masterpiece was the Umberella Man with yours truly in the lead role, again to enthusiastic support from my family.

On Monday evenings was the Band of Hope during which we we were lectured on the evils of strong drink, and later during the war a youth club was opened with the usual games and activities, and me and my great pal Ken Wild decided to try this smoking lark in the gym behind the vaulting horse and we were both sick, and I have never smoked since and neither did Ken.

My memories of Hanover Methodist Church Sunday school are very vivid and very happy ones.

Hee Hee... sounds like a lot of fun.

anyone else out there with memories of the building?