St Vincents

vox

I took these yesterday. They're the 2 buildings which "seem to be" part of St Vincent's Church, Solly Street.

Completely beyond repair by the look of them. The church it's self is part of the St Vincents regeneration Scheme but I can't find any mention of these others, either what they were or if/when they're going.

From the lower car park on Solly Street

From the upper car park, facing away from Hollis Croft.

From Solly Street.

Edit:

And to put them into context.

Google Streetview from Hollis Croft.

I took these yesterday. They're the 2 buildings which "seem to be" part of St Vincent's Church, Solly Street.

Completely beyond repair by the look of them. The church it's self is part of the St Vincents regeneration Scheme but I can't find any mention of these others, either what they were or if/when they're going.

From Solly Street.

Edit:

Google Streetview from Hollis Croft.

Is the brown brick building the old school?

Picture Sheffield Image

From Solly Street.

Edit:

We seem to have the same things in common, I took a lot of these photographs about

4 years ago but it has broken down a lot more since then.

Have you noticed on your first pictures , although the building is empty and broken

down there is still an outside light on? Who's paying the bill?

Some of my friends use to go to St Vincents school and when it was the Easter service

at the Catholic church I was dragged along to that too.

I bought the St Vincents book 2 years ago which was on sale in local shops,

it tells you which each building was used for.

This is at the back of the church and at the left hand side there use to be

a path that led straight down to Scotland street.

This was the boys school built in 1863

St Vincents Presbytery. Solly Street Built 1878

Priests moved from 142 Broad Lane to these new premises.

St Vincents House . Had a few Christmas parties in here.

St Vincents.

Not forgetting the pub on Solly street.

Still don't see what the brick part is UkeLass.

I can see the Presbytery and St Vincents House further up Solly Street

Is it, like Dunsby said, part of the school?

St Vincent's from

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Mrs P J Benson, President, St Vincent's Girls Institute 151 Solly Street (1919 & 1925)

J Milner, Hon. Sec. St Vincent's Y M Society's Roman Catholic Club 105 Solly Street (1919 & 1925)); John O'Hara is Steward (1919 & 1925)

Catholic Boy's Hostel (Sisters of Charity, St Vincent de Paul) 22 Solly Street (1919)

also Sister Agnes, Superior, Convent of the Sisters of Charity (St Vincent de Paul) 142 Broad Lane (1919)

Sister Josephine, Mother Superior, Convent of the Sisters of Charity (St Vincent de Paul) 142 Broad Lane (1925)

Sister Morphine, Sticky Fingers, Rolling Stones, South of France in tax exile (circa 1972)

Reverend John Brady, Superior, The Fathers of St Vincent's Church, St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1893)

also Reverend John Brady, Superior of St Vincent's Catholic Church, St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1893)

Very Reverend James Bennett (R C) Rector of St Vincent's Parish, home St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1919)

Very Reverend Partick Kilty Rector of St Vincent's (Roman Catholic) Parish, home St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1925); also Secretary of St Vincent's Hall (1925)

Brother Lewis & the Sisters of Charity, Head Teachers, St Vincent's Roman Catholic School, Solly Street (1925)

John Thomas Hogan, Master of St Vincent's of Paul School; Whitecroft, 14 Reliance Place, Winter Street (1893)

-----------------

Reliance Place ???

St Vincent's from

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Mrs P J Benson, President, St Vincent's Girls Institute 151 Solly Street (1919 & 1925)

J Milner, Hon. Sec. St Vincent's Y M Society's Roman Catholic Club 105 Solly Street (1919 & 1925)); John O'Hara is Steward (1919 & 1925)

Catholic Boy's Hostel (Sisters of Charity, St Vincent de Paul) 22 Solly Street (1919)

also Sister Agnes, Superior, Convent of the Sisters of Charity (St Vincent de Paul) 142 Broad Lane (1919)

Sister Josephine, Mother Superior, Convent of the Sisters of Charity (St Vincent de Paul) 142 Broad Lane (1925)

Sister Morphine, Sticky Fingers, Rolling Stones, South of France in tax exile (circa 1972)

Reverend John Brady, Superior, The Fathers of St Vincent's Church, St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1893)

also Reverend John Brady, Superior of St Vincent's Catholic Church, St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1893)

Very Reverend James Bennett (R C) Rector of St Vincent's Parish, home St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1919)

Very Reverend Partick Kilty Rector of St Vincent's (Roman Catholic) Parish, home St Vincent's Presbytery, Solly Street (1925); also Secretary of St Vincent's Hall (1925)

Brother Lewis & the Sisters of Charity, Head Teachers, St Vincent's Roman Catholic School, Solly Street (1925)

John Thomas Hogan, Master of St Vincent's of Paul School; Whitecroft, 14 Reliance Place, Winter Street (1893)

-----------------

Reliance Place ???

I am sure these buildings have been mentioned before, can't remember when

-----------------

Reliance Place ???

Underneath the university. My Great great grand-parents lived there.

Here's a 1902 map:

and the obligatory overlay:

A more on-topic overlay. Top = 1902 OS map; bottom = 2008 Google Earth satellite view; middle = overlay.

So it clearly marks the 2 buildings to the left of the church (the stone one and the brick one) as Schools plural.

If one is St Vincent's Roman Catholic School, what's the other? And which is which?

Talking to an old St Vincents pupil last night, he told me one was the girls school and one were the boys school.

The picture of mine shows the St Vincent's youth club.

Here's a map that might help.

Does anyone know if records survive for pupils to the boys school?

My father went there in the 40s and took his 11 plus there

Any help would be appreciated

Sheffield Archives ref CATH2 includes:

Baptism registers 1853 - 1949, Marriage registers 1857 - 1913, Death registers 1961 - 1966, Other records including service registers; notice books; Sacred Heart Association records; Society of St Vincent de Paul records; St Vincent's School records; charity records; plans of St Joseph's Home, Howard Hill, 1853 - 1990.

If I recall correctly, there was a top playground, then down the steps to the bottom playground....I'm going back to the 60's...

I don't recall a boys/girls/school...I remember the playgrounds being seperated by age groups..but could be wrong, it may have been by gender.

I can barely remember the teachers....Think the headmistress was a Sister Catherine, might have been Sister Margaret..and recall a Priest...Brother Smith...

A Mr Hosty (sp) was a maths teacher...

I think thats about the depths my memory will go...except that it was a strict but fair upbringing....then off to St Pauls..which I thoroughly hated for the most part

20 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

If I recall correctly, there was a top playground, then down the steps to the bottom playground....I'm going back to the 60's...

I don't recall a boys/girls/school...I remember the playgrounds being seperated by age groups..but could be wrong, it may have been by gender.

I can barely remember the teachers....Think the headmistress was a Sister Catherine, might have been Sister Margaret..and recall a Priest...Brother Smith...

A Mr Hosty (sp) was a maths teacher...

I think thats about the depths my memory will go...except that it was a strict but fair upbringing....then off to St Pauls..which I thoroughly hated for the most part

Have you looked much further back at the pictures on some of the posts, maybe they will jog your memory and you will perhaps be able to tell us which buildings are which.