Hydra Clarkson - Listed

vox

Penistone Road.

Designed by Sheffield architect W J Hale

W.J.Hale

==========

Hydra Tools

March 2001 - purchased from Recievership by Jasco Tools and reformed as Hydra Clarkson International with massive financial investment.

===========

Minutes of West and North Planning and Highways Area Board 10 June 2008

Arising from the minutes of the meeting held on 27th May, 2008, the Interim Director of Development Services reported orally that following the decision of the Board to afford protection to the Hydra Clarkson’s building through its inclusion in an extension of the Kelham Island Industrial Conservation Area, the building was now protected from demolition and that whilst the owners were pursuing a review of the decision, efforts were being made by various agencies to find a new owner for the building to ensure its preservation for the future.

===========

Then this from The Star

31st July 2009

A LANDMARK industrial building is to be demolished and replaced with a retail development after Sheffield Council gave the plans the go-ahead. Full Article

This makes me so angry: regardless of whether the building is iconic or a landmark or an eyesore or whatever, what has changed between the meeting on 27th May 2008 referred to in vox's post (minutes of that meeting here) where the inclusion of the building in the conservation zone was discussed as a matter of urgency due to it's risk of demolition, and the end of July 2009 when it is stated in Property Week that "A council report said last week that opposition to St Modwen’s scheme on the grounds of architectural and historical interest was not justified".

Total change of heart by the council - why? (this might be a rhetorical question)

Why does the council not learn from the mistakes of the past and persist in attempts to remove all reminders of the industrial history and archaeology of the city? Certainly, not every factory and workshop is/was worthy of preservation, but surely this is an important building.

Not a very constructive contribution to what is a History Forum, but I need to get this off my chest.

The anger borne of futility is rising in me rapidly. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry::angry: :angry:

Self-storage is a box shaped building that could be sited anywhere, a warehouse with doors inside. Is there call for extra retail untils or is the City already awash with empty ones ?

Your comments to my comments gratefully received.

Guest binsted71

Self-storage is a box shaped building that could be sited anywhere, a warehouse with doors inside. Is there call for extra retail untils or is the City already awash with empty ones ?

Corporate Vandalism is a term which springs to mind. Shefield seems to be famous for it. Surely a building of this size and shape could be converted for multi use.

I couldn't bring myself to mention the use for the site - it just seems too ridiculous to be true, that a building such as this could be destroyed for a faceless warehouse which, as you say, could be built anywhere. What happened to the imaginative re-use of old industrial buildings which was in vogue a few years back. We even have one in Carlisle, an old mill converted into small units and apartments, and I imagine there are lots in your part of the world.

What is it that makes the town planners of Sheffield so stupid - it seems to have been the case for many years.

Getting angry again - time to stop.

Corporate Vandalism is a term which springs to mind. Shefield seems to be famous for it. Surely a building of this size and shape could be converted for multi use.

How about that one, install some boxes/doors = intstant storage; bung some retail frontages = instant retails units that will remain unoccupied ...managed it on every high street up and down the country ...

I couldn't bring myself to mention the use for the site - it just seems too ridiculous to be true, that a building such as this could be destroyed for a faceless warehouse which, as you say, could be built anywhere. What happened to the imaginative re-use of old industrial buildings which was in vogue a few years back. We even have one in Carlisle, an old mill converted into small units and apartments, and I imagine there are lots in your part of the world.

What is it that makes the town planners of Sheffield so stupid - it seems to have been the case for many years.

Getting angry again - time to stop.

Cheaper to retain and convert than knock down and rebuilt - surely. Don't call me Shirley etc ...

How about that one, install some boxes/doors = intstant storage; bung some retail frontages = instant retails units that will remain unoccupied ...managed it on every high street up and down the country ...

I think I've found the perfect building for Sheffield City Council when they decide the Town Hall is "of no historical merit and not fit for purpose" and has to be replaced. This will suit their weird way of looking at the City

or as they seem to be basket cases:

Images courtesy of Village of Joy: http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-buildings-of-the-world/

Guest MrsOS

As a fan of this building, I have written to English Heritage and 20th century Society, but no help there - only EH has replied and basically said it's not by architect WJ Hale as believed, it's from 1949 so therefore the only point of interest is that it's from immediately post-war period...

Anyway, today I noticed that at the Zest gym/library there is a 'consultation' board up - only until 26th March, where there is a document which you can give feedback on - a questionnaire which goes back to the council. The doc can also be viewed here

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/planning-documents/background-reports/penistone-road-gateway-action-plan

Embarrassingly, in Chapter 4 they say this

"4. Enhance historic buildings and their settings;

There are a number of important historic buildings and structures along

the corridor most notably:

• Hillsborough Park

• St John the Baptist Church

• The White Building (formally Hydra Tools)

• Hillsborough Barracks

• The Old Crown

• Globe Works

They should be retained and new developments will enhance their

character, appearance or setting wherever possible."

So I have filled in the questionnaire saying that it is rather foolish to document this as their planning strategy when they have already approved demolition of one of these buildings, to be replaced with a hideous industrial shed like all the others!

If anyone has a spare minute, give them your feedback too!

As a fan of this building, I have written to English Heritage and 20th century Society, but no help there - ----------------

----------------Anyway, today I noticed that at the Zest gym/library there is a 'consultation' board up - only until 26th March, where there is a document which you can give feedback on - a questionnaire which goes back to the council. The doc can also be viewed here

http://www.sheffield...way-action-plan

-----------------So I have filled in the questionnaire saying that it is rather foolish to document this as their planning strategy when they have already approved demolition of one of these buildings, to be replaced with a hideous industrial shed like all the others!

If anyone has a spare minute, give them your feedback too!

Hello MrsOS

Welcome from SH members.

Well spotted and thanks for the update.

Where is the Zest Gym? I'll go down and put my 2penneth in

Guest MrsOS

Thanks Vox - will be good if they are inundated with feedback from disillusioned council tax payers

It's in Upperthorpe, where the shops/takeaways/post office are - in a pretty building (no doubt next for the bulldozers). think there is a map on their website - just google Zest Community

Thanks Vox - will be good if they are inundated with feedback from disillusioned council tax payers

It's in Upperthorpe, where the shops/takeaways/post office are - in a pretty building (no doubt next for the bulldozers). think there is a map on their website - just google Zest Community

Got it thanks.

The Hydra Clarkson (Osborn Mushet Tools Ltd) building

is to be demolished with explosives on Sunday the 6th June at 0830 Hrs,

there will be extensive road closures around the site from 7am onwards.

The Hydra Clarkson (Osborn Mushet Tools Ltd) building

is to be demolished with explosives on Sunday the 6th June at 0830 Hrs,

there will be extensive road closures around the site from 7am onwards.

Will you be buying a ticket Steve?:o

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Buy-ticket-to-see-demolition.6307224.jp

I was at the petrol station opposite today they said something went wrong. The end wall didn't fall flat.

This made it slide downwards into the side of the adjacent building.