Clifford Street School WWI Memorial

winter64

As promised quite some time ago, and specially for Deansgirl, a photo of the memorial at Clifford Street School (I was looking for my great uncle Cyril Higginbottom) please find the photo supplied by Helen the very nice administrator there. It shows all the old pupils who died in the Great War.

Karen

Guest Trefcon

Arnold did attend there, so did his 6 brothers. They all served and survived the war.

I have quite a bit on Arnold, Will, photo's of him and his 6 brothers, etc, etc, i'm also in touch with a living relation that lives in Paington. She has sent me bits as well.

Arnold.

Guest Trefcon

'A patriotic Sharrow family'

From Ecclesall Parish Magazine. Note the sign that was once at Gleadless.

Guest Trefcon

Grrrr! I give up!

Tried to upload more images etc, went to preview now post and it timed me out and the uploads have disappeared!

If you want more PM me and i'll e-mail them to whoever wants them.

'A patriotic Sharrow family'

From Ecclesall Parish Magazine. Note the sign that was once at Gleadless.

That's it!

That's the sign I was trying to get a photo of at Gleadless (Loosemoor Drive) but it's not there any more.

The info on this is in the other thread on the Loosemoor family.

Arnold Loosemoor VC

As promised quite some time ago, and specially for Deansgirl, a photo of the memorial at Clifford Street School (I was looking for my great uncle Cyril Higginbottom) please find the photo supplied by Helen the very nice administrator there. It shows all the old pupils who died in the Great War.

Karen

Cyril Higginbottom is not, as far as I know, one of MY relatives.

BUT

I have a great uncle called William Higginbottom

Born in Sheffield in 1893, the son of Harry and Albina Higginbottom.

He served with the Yorks and Lacs regiment and was killed in France on 27 September 1915, aged 22

I have obtained this information from the Commonwealth War Graves site

Just wondered if Deansgirl had any more information on him as I can't find him in his very extensive list of local men who served in WW1

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dave,

16208 William Higginbottom was with the 12th West Yorkshire Regt. He was previously 15189 East Yorkshires. He was KIA.

Born Sharrow, he enlisted at Sheffield. No papers seem to have survived for him, but here with his MIC -

As you can see he landed in France on 10/9/15, to be killed 17 days later. The 12th West Yorks were with 63rd Brigade, 21st Division. They landed at Le Harve -

''Advanced parties embarked for France began on 2 September and the main body began to cross the Channel five days later. Units moved to assemble near Tilques, completing concentration on 13 September. The Division's first experience was truly appalling. Having been in France for only a few days, lengthy forced marches brought it into the reserve for the British assault at Loos. GHQ planning left it too far behind to be a useful reinforcement on the first day, but it was sent into action on 26 September, whereupon it suffered over 3,800 casualties for very little gain''.

There is an image of him in the Sheffield Daily Independent of 17/4/16. The caption states that he is missing and that his parents reside at 79 Beechwood Road, Hillsborough, which ties with CWGC.

There is a W. Higgingbottom on the Hillsborough Baptist Roll of Honour at Taplin Road, Hillsborough.

Dean.

Hi Dave,

16208 William Higginbottom was with the 12th West Yorkshire Regt. He was previously 15189 East Yorkshires. He was KIA.

Born Sharrow, he enlisted at Sheffield. No papers seem to have survived for him, but here with his MIC -

As you can see he landed in France on 10/9/15, to be killed 17 days later. The 12th West Yorks were with 63rd Brigade, 21st Division. They landed at Le Harve -

''Advanced parties embarked for France began on 2 September and the main body began to cross the Channel five days later. Units moved to assemble near Tilques, completing concentration on 13 September. The Division's first experience was truly appalling. Having been in France for only a few days, lengthy forced marches brought it into the reserve for the British assault at Loos. GHQ planning left it too far behind to be a useful reinforcement on the first day, but it was sent into action on 26 September, whereupon it suffered over 3,800 casualties for very little gain''.

There is an image of him in the Sheffield Daily Independent of 17/4/16. The caption states that he is missing and that his parents reside at 79 Beechwood Road, Hillsborough, which ties with CWGC.

There is a W. Higgingbottom on the Hillsborough Baptist Roll of Honour at Taplin Road, Hillsborough.

Dean.

Thanks for the information there Deansgirl,

This is definately my gteat uncle Bill, - my grandfathers older brother, as the addresses you quote match my family's residence at that time.

Grandad never spoke of his lost brother (in fact he never talked much about his family at all) but he did name his eldest son, my uncle Bill, after him.