Philadelphia School

Guest binsted71

Does anyone recognise any of these reprobates from Philadelphia School, West Don Street, from 1958?

I've got this photogragh myself [somewhere ] with all the names written on the back.

From memory I can name the teacher on the left, Mr Sanderson, I can also see David Yates [of the Friends of

Wardsend] Keith Yeardley,Marie Kempton, Joan Cornthwaite, Veronica Justice, and Marion Longdon.

Guest binsted71

I've got this photogragh myself [somewhere ] with all the names written on the back.

From memory I can name the teacher on the left, Mr Sanderson, I can also see David Yates [of the Friends of

Wardsend] Keith Yeardley,Marie Kempton, Joan Cornthwaite, Veronica Justice, and Marion Longdon.

Hi ukelele lady et al,

You're absolutely correct about the teacher on the left, it is George Sanderson. The lads from left to right are:- Malcolm Johnson, Michael Harper, David Yates, John Sheldon, Albert Parkes, Roy Jenkinson, Lewis Birks, Michael Butler, Dennis Young, Rodney Kitchen, Brian Yeardley, Mr Telford (Student Teacher)

The girls from left to right are:- Marie Kempton, Rita Kirk, Joan Cornthwaite, Veronica Justice, Marion Longden, Valerie Young, Jean Cooper, Mavis Waller, Joyce Pryor.

I guess from having the picture yourself and knowing some of the names that you must have lived in the area.

Guest binsted71

Not knowing where abouts Philadelphia School was,

thought a map showing the location would come in handy.

Link to O/S map #31

Philadelphia School .. picturesheffield

And what stands there now,

image from Google SV

Sorry. It was on West Don Street, which ran between Infirmary Road (George IV Hotel) and Penistone Road. The site is now a Skoda dealership.

Sorry. It was on West Don Street, which ran between Infirmary Road (George IV Hotel) and Penistone Road. The site is now a Skoda dealership.

No apoligies needed binstead!

I added the map and other bits as it makes your Topic more interesting,

the more information we can add about these now gone buildings the better.

Steve

Hi ukelele lady et al,

You're absolutely correct about the teacher on the left, it is George Sanderson. The lads from left to right are:- Malcolm Johnson, Michael Harper, David Yates, John Sheldon, Albert Parkes, Roy Jenkinson, Lewis Birks, Michael Butler, Dennis Young, Rodney Kitchen, Brian Yeardley, Mr Telford (Student Teacher)

The girls from left to right are:- Marie Kempton, Rita Kirk, Joan Cornthwaite, Veronica Justice, Marion Longden, Valerie Young, Jean Cooper, Mavis Waller, Joyce Pryor.

I guess from having the picture yourself and knowing some of the names that you must have lived in the area.

I went to this school before going to Chaucer,

Are you on the picture? :rolleyes:

No apoligies needed binstead!

I added the map and other bits as it makes your Topic more interesting,

the more information we can add about these now gone buildings the better.

Steve

Here's a little more information, opened in 1873.

Who ever wrote the information on that card would have been caned by Mrs Burkes [teacher]

for untidy writing. :(

Here's a little more information, opened in 1873.

Who ever wrote the information on that card would have been caned by Mrs Burkes [teacher]

for untidy writing. :(

Sorry forgot to post the pictures.

Guest binsted71

I went to this school before going to Chaucer,

Are you on the picture? :rolleyes:

I too went to this school before going briefly to Chaucer. I'm in the picture, are you or your sister?

Guest binsted71

I too went to this school before going briefly to Chaucer. I'm in the picture, are you or your sister?

Forgot to mention that I felt 'unloved' if I didn't get caned by Mrs Burke every day! Always bowed her head when the name Jesus was mentioned. I also remember her giving you sweets on your birthday. Again always a bit 'miffed' as my birthday fell in school hols!!

How did you know I had a sister? <_<

Forgot to mention that I felt 'unloved' if I didn't get caned by Mrs Burke every day! Always bowed her head when the name Jesus was mentioned. I also remember her giving you sweets on your birthday. Again always a bit 'miffed' as my birthday fell in school hols!!

Mrs Burke [st Vincents church goer] once caned me by mistake ,she thought I was someone else

by the same first name. She took me to her cuboard, [remember that cuboard?] and gave me

a jelly baby, it didn't really compensate. The burning hand lasted a lot longer than the jelly baby. :(

Guest binsted71

Mrs Burke [st Vincents church goer] once caned me by mistake ,she thought I was someone else

by the same first name. She took me to her cuboard, [remember that cuboard?] and gave me

a jelly baby, it didn't really compensate. The burning hand lasted a lot longer than the jelly baby. :(

She only ever made a mistake once with respect to me, she forgot to cane me one day!! She was a devout catholic, as you say a regular at St Vincents church. I think her husband was a policeman. I was never fortunate enough to be taken to the sweet cupboard, I can't think why, I'm sure I was a little angel!! You still haven't said whether or not you're in the picture! <_<

Guest blueybar

No I'm not on the picture but now I know who Im talking to.

I will try to find some more " Philly " photographs. lol

I was at Philadelphia school between 1946&1950 the only teacher I can remember is Miss Godfry, I lived at number 16 West Don Street , anyone out there that went to the school the same time as myself.

I can remember the second names of some of the people I went to school with ( Pitts,Ludams and Hayes). :o

Guest binsted71

I was at Philadelphia school between 1946&1950 the only teacher I can remember is Miss Godfry, I lived at number 16 West Don Street , anyone out there that went to the school the same time as myself.

I can remember the second names of some of the people I went to school with ( Pitts,Ludams and Hayes). :o

Hi blueybar,

I remember Roger Hayes and his sister Sandra and was Ludlam's first name Pete. I didn't start there until 1948 so my memeory isn't as long as yours!!

Do you remember a Mr Lister, Miss Hill and a Miss Pratt not to mention the dreaded Mrs Burke? Mr Biggins was headmaster.

Guest binsted71

No I'm not on the picture but now I know who Im talking to.

I will try to find some more " Philly " photographs. lol

I can't wait!!

Here's one of the teachers taken about 1957-8.

There's just two I can't name.

Can you name these, although I think they may be a year

younger than you binsted.

Guest binsted71

Here's one of the teachers taken about 1957-8.

There's just two I can't name.

Can you name these, although I think they may be a year

younger than you binsted.

My memory must be fading fast!! There are six teachers which I can't name. The one's which I can are Mr Popple, ??, Mr Hughes, ??,??,??, Mr Howland, Miss Hart, Mr Sanderson, Mr Carter, ?? Mrs Golota, Mrs Eggleston, Mr Smith (Head) Mrs Burke, Miss Rowland, ??

I can only put name to the pupils although most of the faces are familiar. Barry Nash, Smith Twins?, Leslie Poulton, Roz Woollen, and if I'm not mistaken, your goodself.

This was taken about 1958

Here are the teachers

Back Row left to right

Mr Popple, Miss Woodward uck, Mr Hughs, Mrs Russell, ???, Miss Waters, Mr Howland, Miss Hart,

Mr Sanderson and Mr Carter.

Front Row left to right

Miss Radford, Mrs Golota, Mrs Eggleston, Mr Smith [head] Mrs Burke, Miss Rowland, Miss Darley.

Top Row left to right

Peter Castledine, Peter Kempton, Barry Nash, ???, George Weldrick, Lawrence Brown

Middle Row

David Trickett, Raymond Dickinson, Leslie Poulton, David Malinson, Rodney Thompson, D? Fairbanks.

Bottom Row

Jaqualine Roe, Joyce Carr, Rosalind Woollen, Edith Hartley, Brenda Fellows, Christine Littlewood.

No I'm not on the picture, as I said these are much, much, older than me lol

Guest binsted71

This was taken about 1958

Here are the teachers

Back Row left to right

Mr Popple, Miss Woodward uck, Mr Hughs, Mrs Russell, ???, Miss Waters, Mr Howland, Miss Hart,

Mr Sanderson and Mr Carter.

Front Row left to right

Miss Radford, Mrs Golota, Mrs Eggleston, Mr Smith [head] Mrs Burke, Miss Rowland, Miss Darley.

If that's Miss Woodward, could the other teacher at the back be Mr Cooil, I believe that they married eventually!!

It could be Mr Cool but I can't remember him looking as smart as that.

I will ask my sister.

Maybe blueybar will remember some off these.