Do you remember these

Stuart0742

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Do you remember these 60's TV shows

Here´s one for you, can anyone else remember this??? . I can recall a show on Saturday afternoons (about 5 o´clock , just before 65 Special or Juke Box Jury or even Thank You Lucky Stars - had to flip that Bakelite dial in those days :P ) called (I think) Gary Halliday. He was an airplane pilot, certainly I remember his co-pilot was played by Terence Alexander (young and dashing then), Gary himself was an actor you knew from loads of war films but couldn´t put a name to. The fought an enemy called the Voice. This was just before Dr Who started, so would be late 50,s. All the people of my age and older I speak to claim not to remember it, probably it was only on for one series and didn´t catch on, but I remember the Voice really scared me, thinking back it sounded like an authorative Richard Dimbleby or maybe Cliff Michelmore on drugs :)

All the people of my age and older I speak to claim not to remember it, probably it was only on for one series and didn´t catch on, but I remember the Voice really scared me, thinking back it sounded like an authorative Richard Dimbleby or maybe Cliff Michelmore on drugs :)

Here it is Suzy

Entirely too young and handsome to remember any of this (born 1962) but Thanks for posting it up, sure it brings back memories for slightly longer in the tooth members (at 48 I'm just a youth, I guess ?)

Thanks very much for that Vox. I remember the names now I´ve seen it. Maurice Kaufman always played a good villain and was very good looking.

Guess I got a bit carried away yesterday with all my posts but made me remember stuff I hadn´t thought of in years :)

Without a doubt, the scariest thing I ever saw on a black and white telly was the serialisation of Quatermass and the Pit. Some kind of spaceship is unearthed in a suburban back yard but the vessel is so hard it can't be drilled or cut through. Eventually a small hole is bored through the hull, this guy peers in and sees a colony of evil, grotesque, skeletal creatures. He goes troppo, starts hallucinating, becomes magnetically charged and gets pelted by metal plates and cutlery from a roadside food van. I can't remember much more, I think in the end Dr Quatermass blows it up in space. Today I suppose it would be like an episode of Dr Who but it scared the living daylights out of me. I would have been about 12 at the time, not long after we got our first TV.

Without a doubt, the scariest thing I ever saw on a black and white telly was the serialisation of Quatermass and the Pit. Some kind of spaceship is unearthed in a suburban back yard but the vessel is so hard it can't be drilled or cut through. Eventually a small hole is bored through the hull, this guy peers in and sees a colony of evil, grotesque, skeletal creatures. He goes troppo, starts hallucinating, becomes magnetically charged and gets pelted by metal plates and cutlery from a roadside food van. I can't remember much more, I think in the end Dr Quatermass blows it up in space. Today I suppose it would be like an episode of Dr Who but it scared the living daylights out of me. I would have been about 12 at the time, not long after we got our first TV.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOOKeVSfDI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOOKeVSfDI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

1958 BBC

There is also a Hammer Horror colour version

The radio programme that gave me nightmares as a youngster was called "Journey Into Space". I can't remember much about it but I think it was a steam-radio pre-cursor to T.V. shows like Doctor Who, which I believe was quite popular at one time. I seem to remember the introduction music was similar to Dr. Who.

Strangely, despite growing up in the age of space exploration, I have never had any interest in science fiction.

A cyberspace coconut to anyone who can find a recording of the programme.

hilldweller

The radio programme that gave me nightmares as a youngster was called "Journey Into Space". I can't remember much about it but I think it was a steam-radio pre-cursor to T.V. shows like Doctor Who, which I believe was quite popular at one time. I seem to remember the introduction music was similar to Dr. Who.

Strangely, despite growing up in the age of space exploration, I have never had any interest in science fiction.

hilldweller

Journey Into Space wiki

Hello Hilldweller, with the assistance of my son I have "pasted a link". After much blah blah blah, which I didn´t understand I hope you can view this, :)

hilldweller

Oh dear HD.

Looks like you're a coconut down already and it's only been 4 hours.

You'd better stock up.

Journey into Space (Episode 1)

I'll leave this on my web-site for a while but it's a big file so if it starts eating my bandwidth allowance I'll have to remove it.

If you want it, save it now. (Right click link and "Save as")

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOOKeVSfDI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOOKeVSfDI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

1958 BBC

There is also a Hammer Horror colour version

I remember it being on tv, I think it was on a Thursday night cos Dad went out with his mates that night and me and Mum sat down and watched telly (after getting Granny to bed). One episode showed quite clearly a bloke going up a gas/oil tank, getting zapped and then trailing his oily/bloody hand down the tank, gave me nightmares for ages. There again I used to have nightmares about sky edge when it was a tip, lorries sliding off etc. How lovely it looks now. Talk about Duel :P

Entirely too young and handsome to remember any of this (born 1962) but Thanks for posting it up, sure it brings back memories for slightly longer in the tooth members (at 48 I'm just a youth, I guess ?)

Too young, yes, handsome, dunno lol

However, your research into "proper history" instead of us old farts recollecting is invaluable. Keep it up lad :P

I can remember being scared by Journey into Space too, but more than that like Thylacine it was Quatermass and the Pit that scared the daylights out of me!I haven't seen the colour version, but it was one of those programmes where the effect seemed heightened by being in black and white. Fortunately a bit later the story was defused by the Goon Show's version, which turns out to be an abandoned tube train! One of their best efforts for me.

Oh dear HD.

Looks like you're a coconut down already and it's only been 4 hours.

You'd better stock up.

Journey into Space (Episode 1)

I'll leave this on my web-site for a while but it's a big file so if it starts eating my bandwidth allowance I'll have to remove it.

If you want it, save it now. (Right click link and "Save as")

Thanks Vox, it's now saved.

Cyberspace coconut on it's way but presently trapped in an ethernet cable, it might be dessicated by the time it reaches you.

hilldweller.

Thanks Vox, it's now saved.

Cyberspace coconut on it's way but presently trapped in an ethernet cable, it might be dessicated by the time it reaches you.

hilldweller.

Then you'd better reverse the delivery HD

There are only 2 things in the whole world that I consider to be inedible.

Sweet corn and DESSICATED coconut.

Give my prize to a needy person.

The programme you are talking about was "The New Phil Silvers Show" (I can vaguely remember it but not a patch on Bilko) which only had thirty episodes on CBS in the US from September 28, 1963, to April 25, 1964, under the sponsorship of General Foods. Silvers tried to revive, with many changes, the theme of his earlier, much more successful, The Phil Silvers Show (CBS, 1955-1959). In the 1963-1964 version, Silvers played Harry Grafton, a plant foreman at the Osborne Corporation, who like the previous Bilko character is always eager to embrace a get-rich-quick scheme.

Once again SuzyC you have managed to fill in the gaps where my own memory, due to age or drink, has let me down.

Thanks for the reply ;-)

Thanks Stuart 0742 for all those old ads, I´m surprised there is not more feedback. There were so many laughs in there it was unbelievable, Ultra Brite toothpaste - did it have carbon tetrachloride in it, you have to pay 200 quid these days for teeth that white ;-)

Carbon Tetrachloride?

The old "thawpit" dry cleaning fluid with a distinctive odour and which caused several deaths by asphyxiation after being used on bed sheets.

To whiten teeth Hydrogen peroxide or other mild oxidising agents would be more likely candidates.

[sorry, gone back into chemist mode, - new term next week, just getting into practice]

Carbon Tetrachloride?

The old "thawpit" dry cleaning fluid with a distinctive odour and which caused several deaths by asphyxiation after being used on bed sheets.

To whiten teeth Hydrogen peroxide or other mild oxidising agents would be more likely candidates.

[sorry, gone back into chemist mode, - new term next week, just getting into practice]

Carbon Tetrachloride may have fallen from grace as a cleaning agent but it made a damn good fire extinguisher.

Back in the dark ages I was a member of a works fire brigade. The wiring of the controller of an overhead travelling crane caught fire and when I dashed up (I could dash in those days), the flames were blazing right up into the crane structure. I grabbed a "Pyrene" fire extinguisher with about a pint of Carbon Tet in it and a couple of strokes of the double-action pump directed the fluid into the crane about 15 feet above. The flames went out as if by magic. Of course you had to vacate the place as soon as possible because the interaction between Carbon Tet and fire produced Phosgene gas I believe. The "Pyrene" extinguishers were hurriedly phased out and replaced by gas-powered dry powder.

The brass or chrome plated "Pyrene" extinguishers were a common sight on buses and trams.

hilldweller

Then you'd better reverse the delivery HD

There are only 2 things in the whole world that I consider to be inedible.

Sweet corn and DESSICATED coconut.

Give my prize to a needy person.

What ! Imagine life without a scrumptious coconut mushroom or some lovely chewey sweet corn. I'll try anything once, as my waistline shows only too clearly, but I draw the line at oysters and some of the more slimy sea creatures.

hilldweller

Carbon Tetrachloride?

Hi Dave, I was joking about the carbon tet. We used it in the 60´s for cleaning the manual typewriters and very noxious stuff it was too :blink:

Carbon Tetrachloride may have fallen from grace as a cleaning agent but it made a damn good fire extinguisher.

Back in the dark ages I was a member of a works fire brigade. The wiring of the controller of an overhead travelling crane caught fire and when I dashed up (I could dash in those days), the flames were blazing right up into the crane structure. I grabbed a "Pyrene" fire extinguisher with about a pint of Carbon Tet in it and a couple of strokes of the double-action pump directed the fluid into the crane about 15 feet above. The flames went out as if by magic. Of course you had to vacate the place as soon as possible because the interaction between Carbon Tet and fire produced Phosgene gas I believe. The "Pyrene" extinguishers were hurriedly phased out and replaced by gas-powered dry powder.

The brass or chrome plated "Pyrene" extinguishers were a common sight on buses and trams.

hilldweller

Spot on hilldweller, 10/10 for your chemistry there (still in practice for the new term lol )

As carbon tetrachloride contains no hydrogen or oxygen it is one of only a few organic chemicals which is not flammable, and its dense, heavy vapour (heavier than carbon dioxide) will quickly smother a fire.

It's trade name as a dry cleaning fluid was "thawpit", but as a fire extinguisher it was called "pyrene"

Unfortunately, at very high temperatures carbon tetrachloride can decompose and react with oxygen to form phosgene.

Many fires are not hot enough to cause this to happen before the vapour puts the fire out, but some are and phosgene, a very poisonous gas has a reputation from its use in the first world war was enough to frighten people off using it. Having said that, the vapour of carbon tetrachloride itself will quickly cause asphixiation.

Many years ago while I was still at school someone had left a glass tube with a wire grille at each end full of fishing maggots lying around in the science lab over the weekend. By Monday morning this container was buzzing with flies ver loudly. To dispose of them a few drops of carbon tetrachloride (its modern systematic IUPAC name is terachloromethane) were administered through one of the grilles and immediately the buzzing stopped and the flies dropped dead onto the lower grille. Suffocation doesn't sound as nasty as poisoning but it can be just as quick and effective.

Further to this, at high temperatures the normally inert carbon tetrachloride could react violently with certain substances, - burning magnesium for example, so it was not safe to use on any type of fire, although its covalent, electrically insulating molecules did make it safe on electrical fires even though it was a liquid! This alone would make it suitable to use on trams and cranes as you say.

Spot on hilldweller, 10/10 for your chemistry there (still in practice for the new term lol )

As carbon tetrachloride contains no hydrogen or oxygen it is one of only a few organic chemicals which is not flammable, and its dense, heavy vapour (heavier than carbon dioxide) will quickly smother a fire.

It's trade name as a dry cleaning fluid was "thawpit", but as a fire extinguisher it was called "pyrene"

Unfortunately, at very high temperatures carbon tetrachloride can decompose and react with oxygen to form phosgene.

Many fires are not hot enough to cause this to happen before the vapour puts the fire out, but some are and phosgene, a very poisonous gas has a reputation from its use in the first world war was enough to frighten people off using it. Having said that, the vapour of carbon tetrachloride itself will quickly cause asphixiation.

Many years ago while I was still at school someone had left a glass tube with a wire grille at each end full of fishing maggots lying around in the science lab over the weekend. By Monday morning this container was buzzing with flies ver loudly. To dispose of them a few drops of carbon tetrachloride (its modern systematic IUPAC name is terachloromethane) were administered through one of the grilles and immediately the buzzing stopped and the flies dropped dead onto the lower grille. Suffocation doesn't sound as nasty as poisoning but it can be just as quick and effective.

Further to this, at high temperatures the normally inert carbon tetrachloride could react violently with certain substances, - burning magnesium for example, so it was not safe to use on any type of fire, although its covalent, electrically insulating molecules did make it safe on electrical fires even though it was a liquid! This alone would make it suitable to use on trams and cranes as you say.

One of the more common fires that we had to deal with was when one of the "Westalite" rectifier sets which supplied direct current to the overhead cranes caught fire. These comprised a transformer unit with a steel box fixed above containing a large number of selenium plate rectifiers. This box had a perforated metal top and base and when they blew up, (caused by crane drivers moving the controller too fast), The burning selenium would rain down. To stop the firework display it was necessary to reach in and switch off the fuse/isolator thoughtfully located where the burning selenium was falling. I believe the counter-metal to the selenium was aluminium and this would add to the fireworks.

The smell from the burning selenium was appalling and no doubt very harmful.

Nowadays silicon rectifiers have replaced selenium.

hilldweller

Here´s one for you, can anyone else remember this??? . I can recall a show on Saturday afternoons (about 5 o´clock , just before 65 Special or Juke Box Jury or even Thank You Lucky Stars - had to flip that Bakelite dial in those days :P ) called (I think) Gary Halliday. He was an airplane pilot, certainly I remember his co-pilot was played by Terence Alexander (young and dashing then), Gary himself was an actor you knew from loads of war films but couldn´t put a name to. The fought an enemy called the Voice. This was just before Dr Who started, so would be late 50,s. All the people of my age and older I speak to claim not to remember it, probably it was only on for one series and didn´t catch on, but I remember the Voice really scared me, thinking back it sounded like an authorative Richard Dimbleby or maybe Cliff Michelmore on drugs :)

I'll put my hand up to that one Suzy, I remember Gary Halliday. Being obsessed with planes and flying since I was so-high I watched everything and anything with planes in. "Whirlybirds" anyone?

What ! Imagine life without a scrumptious coconut mushroom or some lovely chewey sweet corn. I'll try anything once, as my waistline shows only too clearly, but I draw the line at oysters and some of the more slimy sea creatures.

hilldweller

I'm with you on that one hilldweller.

Coconut (dessicated or not) and sweetcorn are no problem.

But, as we are an island and the sea is basically our open sewer where we dispose of all our waste and effluent I cannot really take "oysters and some of the more slimy sea creatures" at all. My mum was very seriously ill with food poisoning from some shellfish she had in Cleethorpes in the summer of 1955 while she was pregnant expecting me. I think her experince at that time must must have crossed the placenta and affected me. To be honest, I don't like fish that much as I would much prefer a meat dish, but oysters, muscles, cockels, whelks YUK! Nothing but a fishhy amine flavoured bit of slimey old rubber. Like you I certainly draw the line at it.

As we are an island and the sea is basically our open sewer where we dispose of all our waste and effluent.

That reminds me, - if you are in Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, the Holy Land, North Africa or any Mediterranian island NEVER eat their fish / seafood.

I know some of these countries pride themselves on their seafood cuisine BUT...

The Mediterranian is their sea, so it is their "open sewer" for disposing of effluent (sewage)

But, unlike our sea the Maditerranean is almost land locked on all sides, so the effluent has nowhere to go and it just stays there, tides can't carry it away.

OK so the Med. is pretty big and has the capacity to absorb it.

But it is also one of the cradles of civilisation on which several ancient empires flourished.

So it now contains around 8000 years worth of effluent. :o

But it is also one of the cradles of civilisation on which several ancient empires flourished.

So it now contains around 8000 years worth of effluent. :o

Never thought of it that way Dave, That's a whole new slant on history. I'll never watch another history program the same again!

mind you, as an archaeologist, we spend a lot of our time digging through middens and rubbish tips!