Strange house feature on London Road

Blacky

Always wondered about this ever since i first noticed it from the top deck of a number 75 bus when i was a kid:

Has anyone ever noticed the house on London Road with what a mans head built into the upper floor? The head has a helmet on and i think he sports a mustache. He reminds me of either a soldier or a builder and I wonder if anyone knows who he is and why he is there?

The house in question is just after the set of lights where the road forks off toward Queens Road - the set of houses after the car mechanics on the left if youre coming out of town.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee.

Always wondered about this ever since i first noticed it from the top deck of a number 75 bus when i was a kid:

Has anyone ever noticed the house on London Road with what a mans head built into the upper floor? The head has a helmet on and i think he sports a mustache. He reminds me of either a soldier or a builder and I wonder if anyone knows who he is and why he is there?

The house in question is just after the set of lights where the road forks off toward Queens Road - the set of houses after the car mechanics on the left if youre coming out of town.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee.

I can't find where you mean Lee

Do you mean after Autostart on the beginning of Abbeydale Road?

I've just searched around with Google streetview but I can't see anything like that anywhere around Highfields.

Can you find it on Streetview and post a picture for us? Sounds intriguing.

Youre quite right Vox it is Abbeydale Rd.

The approx address on streetview is 82 Abbeydale Rd, just to the right of the bright blue bay windows, Ive zoomed in on the head but its difficult to make out any detail.

Cheers,

Lee.

Youre quite right Vox it is Abbeydale Rd.

The approx address on streetview is 82 Abbeydale Rd, just to the right of the bright blue bay windows, Ive zoomed in on the head but its difficult to make out any detail.

Cheers,

Lee.

I think we really need some pictures posting here if we are to see what this interesting feature is.

Like vox I have failed to find it on Google SV, and if it is indistinct when located on Google then perhaps someone needs to go down and take a picture for posting on here.

I think we really need some pictures posting here if we are to see what this interesting feature is.

Like vox I have failed to find it on Google SV, and if it is indistinct when located on Google then perhaps someone needs to go down and take a picture for posting on here.

I'm not going down in this weather,

I have seen a good photo of the head somewhere,

but can't remember if that was on here or another forum.

Image from Google

I'm not going down in this weather,

I have seen a good photo of the head somewhere,

but can't remember if that was on here or another forum.

Image from Google

It has been mentioned on here some time ago, I sure.

Try this link LINK

I think this may answer the question

Dam!

Just found the same topic and came back to post it here,

it a appears that your a faster search fairy than I lol

Try this link LINK

I think this may answer the question

Thank you link fairy lol

Can me and vox have a link please to the discussion about the bit on top of the Wicker Arches :rolleyes:

Topic came up in the Sheffield Calendar 2010 thread

The SheffieldHistory Fairy Olympics - now there's an idea lol

But the Olympics are competitive.

We only have one participant for the fairy Olympics so far, Stuart0742

OK Richard, you once said something about liking to dress up in womens clothing but can you find the links to any topic on this site?

Can you find the link to where you said you like to dress up in womens clothing :unsure:

I bet Stuart can lol

But the Olympics are competitive.

We only have one participant for the fairy Olympics so far, Stuart0742

OK Richard, you once said something about liking to dress up in womens clothing but can you find the links to any topic on this site?

Can you find the link to where you said you like to dress up in womens clothing :unsure:

I bet Stuart can lol

Found 3 different topics were a taffeta ballgown is mentioned <_<

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=48963

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=50460

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...post&p=6547

A bit worrying or what lol

Very worrying :unsure:

All 3 of them were posted by Richard :o

Perhaps he's trying to compete wioth you in the fairy Olympics <_<

Sp: *Knew

Hi Blacky

I don't know if you've tried it, but you can edit your own posts by clicking on the 'edit' button on the bottom right of your post, so if you need to correct any typo's (something I use frequently! he he ) or change anything else you can.

Guest lazarus

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee.

Theres some exactly the same on THE WHARNCLIFFE FIRECLAY WORKS on Devonshire St & I believe there are a couple on Castle St

Theres some exactly the same on THE WHARNCLIFFE FIRECLAY WORKS on Devonshire St & I believe there are a couple on Castle St

And here they are. :)

---------------------

I was sure I posted this yesterday???

Guest plain talker

and there's these properties on Glover road with asimilar "head" on thewall

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Glover+Road+sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.388688,38.759766&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glover+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8+0ZW,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.364155,-1.474834&spn=0.000986,0.004731&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.364154,-1.474835&panoid=o4j6hwhZ3GMjbgEoIT9tuw&cbp=11,190.76,,0,2.24

the head in question was placed on the new properties about 25 years ago when they were built. It was originally on the old terraced houses that were there before the clearances of the late 70's.

I STR it's meant to represent some former lord of the manor of the district. Sitwell perhaps? or some-such. (I know the Sitwells originally had a lot to do with Mount Pleasant House, as well as Renishaw Hall)