Police Stations?

dunsbyowl1867

For sale. Buy yourself a CopShop.

Crookes sub-station, Northfield Road.

The Ecclesall one's been on the market too. For Sale signs's gone, but I suppose someone might have nicked it!:rolleyes:

The Ecclesall one's been on the market too. For Sale signs's gone, but I suppose someone might have nicked it!:rolleyes:

and if you want a real big ugly one, West Bar Police Station is up for sale,

This is the old sub-station on Senior Road,Darnall,also up for sale.

The old lodge for High Hazels House is believed to have stood on this site previously.

The Fishmongers shop of Cooke Dunbar & son at No 229 London Rd was originally a Police Station and Im sure it cost just a £1.000 to build.The Fishmonger business went years ago, I dont know whats there now.

Broomhill Police Station 23 Spooner Road

William Wrench Toulson - Resident Inspector

----------

Wrench ?? :blink:

Yes Wrench... I blinked a few times too ..

I read this ages ago, but just today I was bashing through the old family tree and find that I am very distantly related to him on my mother's side. He was born in Hough on the Hill, Lincs in 1832 his mother's maiden name was Wrench (or Rinch). He lived on Well Street Heeley in 1861 when he was a constable, then by 1871 he was living at Whitworth Lane Police Station. He died in 1893 and is buried at Christ Church Fulwood.

One of my ancestors, John William Foster worked as a police office in Sheffield from at least 1881 to 1901. The 1901 census lists him as living at 'Police Station in Burton Road'. Does anyone know any details of the station? Or how I can get access to records for him?

Broomhill Police Station 23 Spooner Road

William Wrench Toulson - Resident Inspector

----------

Wrench ??

Father: Michael Toulson Mother: Mary Wrench, born Hough on the Hill, Lincolnshire about 1833. LIved on Well Street (Well road) Heeley in 1861, Whitworth Lane Police Station 1871 and Spooner Road 1881 and 1891 Census. Died in 1893 and is buried at Fulwood Christ Church.

I came across him whilst researching my family tree.

Thanks guys. Great stuff. Does anyone know how I can get records of my GGGfather from the Police Service?

In 1889 he was living at Danville Street in Brightside Bierlow (?), Sheffield, and working at a nearby police station. Does anyone know of a station nearby?.

Thanks guys. Great stuff. Does anyone know how I can get records of my GGGfather from the Police Service?

In 1889 he was living at Danville Street in Brightside Bierlow (?), Sheffield, and working at a nearby police station. Does anyone know of a station nearby?.

Hi Dave

Danville Street no longer exists, it was located here. . Flash Earth

Can not help out with the whereabouts of the nearest polce station at the time.

I know of eight (at least) coppers who lived on Danville Street or Danville Mount. I assume Danville Mount was nearby ... ?

Thanks guys. Great stuff. Does anyone know how I can get records of my GGGfather from the Police Service? In 1889 he was living at Danville Street in Brightside Bierlow (?), Sheffield, and working at a nearby police station. Does anyone know of a station nearby?.

Alphabetical by surname

William Anderson Policeman 5 Danville Mount White's 1911

Thomas Broughton Policeman 102 Danville Street White's 1911

Edward William Horner Police Constable 16 Danville Mount Kelly's 1925

Harold Shillito Policeman 93 Danville Street White's 1911

Edward James Smith Policeman 97 Danville Street White's 1911

Henry Stringer Police constable 105 Danville Street White's 1911

Henry Stringer Police constable 7 Danville Mount White's 1919

Robert Edmund Townse Policeman 17 Danville Mount White's 1911

I know of eight (at least) coppers who lived on Danville Street or Danville Mount. I assume Danville Mount was nearby ... ?

Apart from groups of dedicated police housing I think policemen have always tended to live close by other policemen.

We once bought a house from a policeman and found out afterwards that several more lived in the close proximity.

What I thought was amusing was the name of the street, St. Anthony's Road; St. Anthony being the patron saint of pigs and swineherd. :mellow: :mellow:

HD

Apart from groups of dedicated police housing I think policemen have always tended to live close by other policemen.

We once bought a house from a policeman and found out afterwards that several more lived in the close proximity.

What I thought was amusing was the name of the street, St. Anthony's Road; St. Anthony being the patron saint of pigs and swineherd. :mellow: :mellow:

HD

Policemen always walk around in pairs on their beat.

I suppose some areas are so rough they do this for their own protection.

But in reality it may be because one can then act as a witness to the others actions if any incident they attend ends up in court, - which I suppose, after making an arrest, it frequently does.

Highfield Police Station, 243 & 245 London Road

Tenders invited for building this police station in September 1872 [sheffield Independent]

1879 Jacob Bradbury - Police Inspector (243 London Road)

1881 Jacob Bradbury - Police Inspector (243 London Road)

1891 Jacob Bradbury - Police Inspector (243 London Road)

1901 William Jackson - Inspector (243 London Road)

1905 Charles Henry Moore - Police Inspector (243-245 London Road)

1911 Frederick Williams - Police Inspector

1919 Frederick Denton - Superintendent

1925 Austin Fretwell - Superintendent (E Division) (home 701 Chesterfield Road)

The 1890 Town Plan shows the building sub-divided into two roughly equal halves. I am guessing the left half (243) is the Inspector's house:

Jacob Bradbury was at the centre of the investigation of the murder of Arthur Dyson, for which Charlie Peace was later executed. In 1879 Catherine Dyson stayed in his house (243 London Road) at first, after returning from the USA to give evidence in Peace's trial:

In her statement to the Independent before returning to Ohio, she said that at one time she and her husband had lived almost opposite the police station.

Here are some cuttings from the papers following Constable Foster's career from 1882 to 1902. There are three collar numbers mentioned (213, 313 and 400) so not sure if there are different men or a change in number. As well as hopefully being interesting for his descendants, they illustrate the life of a Sheffield police constable in the late Victorian age.

Guest sal1974

This used to be a police station. Not sure how long ago though. It's on stannington road