John Holmes Police Sergeant

Joseph Henry Holmes Detention Officer

1919 & 1925

Charles Curtis Detention Officer

Photo of Millhouses Police station in use as a restaurant:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/....aspx?id=455122

Photo of Millhouses Police:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=u03588

1871 — Edward Shaw, Police Officer (White's 1871)

1879 — Edward Shaw (constable in charge)

1901 — Thos. Ashton

1911 — John Holmes

Edit: May re-open.

"Elm Tree Police Station, on City Road, at Manor Top, Sheffield was closed down several years ago after it was set on fire."

Full Article Here

Didn't get a picture of it but when I walked past it a few weeks ago it was definately closed and had security fencing around it.

Made me wonder if there had been an increase in the already high level of crime on the Manor since the police station had gone, meaning that the nearest policeman is now probably based much further away from this crime troubled area.

24 Burngreave Road

George Lee - Inspector of Police

[i wonder if any of these buildings show signs of what they once were ?]

This one does!

Former Police Station, Burngreave Rd

(Google Street View)

And of course this:

West Bar police station, Tenter Street.

Someone will know exactly when it closed.

Google Streetview

62 to 66 Tenter Street

John Pearson - Station Sergeant

Didn't get a picture of it but when I walked past it a few weeks ago it was definately closed and had security fencing around it.

Made me wonder if there had been an increase in the already high level of crime on the Manor since the police station had gone, meaning that the nearest policeman is now probably based much further away from this crime troubled area.

There's a streetview of it in the ORIGINAL POST Dave.

Central Police Offices, Castle Green

John Gilley - Superintendent of Police and Warrant Officer

George Macley - Superintendent of Police & Chief Clerk

Francis George Dakin - Chief Inspector & Chief Clerk

Major John Hall-Dalwood - Chief Constable

George Henry Barker - Deputy Chief Constable

Photo of Millhouses Police station in use as a restaurant:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/....aspx?id=455122

Photo of Millhouses Police:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=u03588

1871 — Edward Shaw, Police Officer (White's 1871)

1879 — Edward Shaw (constable in charge)

1901 — Thos. Ashton

1911 — John Holmes

This is 1903

Woodhouse Police Station

Station Road/ Balmoral Road

A nice building I think.

Refurbished in 2005, so it looks as if it'll survive for a while now. :)

Google streetview

They've fenced it off since the street view was done so perhaps they have started work on it with a view to reopening it as a cop shop.

Some pictures of Manor Top Cop Shop (lot of words ending in -op in that lol ) taken today

4 Burgoyne Road

John Pindar Twibell - Inspector of Police

That's interesting. The Walkley police station on Langsett Rd is on the corner of Burgoyne Road. The frontage on Langsett Rd looks like a cop shop, but the frontage on Burgoyne Road looks like a house. So did Inspector Twibell live over the shop? But if you look at the place on Street View, it's numbered 87 on the door, not 4, despite being the first building on the road. And Street View says it's number 12. And it's on the even numbered side of the street so where does 87 come in? :huh:

Both images Google Steet View

That's interesting. The Walkley police station on Langsett Rd is on the corner of Burgoyne Road. The frontage on Langsett Rd looks like a cop shop, but the frontage on Burgoyne Road looks like a house. So did Inspector Twibell live over the shop? But if you look at the place on Street View, it's numbered 87 on the door, not 4, despite being the first building on the road. And Street View says it's number 12. And it's on the even numbered side of the street so where does 87 come in? :huh:

Fine views, I know the building - just next door to the petrol station used to be - where Robert Carlyle hugged his kid in The Full Monty, near the old scrapyard and The Hero and His Horse boozer ...

of course, I never took a blind bit of notice of it "way back when" ... when I had more hair on my head than up my nose ...

699 Chesterfield Road

Robert Watkinson - Inspector in Charge

Austin Fretwell - Police Superintendent

That would be Woodseats Police station?

That would be Woodseats Police station?

If you need to know an address ask a policeman (or his website) :)

According to them:

Woodseats Police Station, 0114 220 2020 699, Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S8 0SL

There's an excellent photo of the entire compliment of Walkley Police Station in the excellent Peter Harveys Sheffield (first helping). It shows about 68 policemen nearly all with moustaches stood on the corner. The side door on Burgoyne Road used to lead into a dentist's surgery a few years ago, behind the reception desk was one of the cells with a door that could have withstood an anti-tank grenade. I'm not sure if it's still a dentist's.

The Hillsborough station was situated opposite the old Hillsborough National School (replaced by the Woolworth building).

When I was a lad I'm sure that there was an old Police Station Sign but it's probably behind one of the huge modern shop signs. It still says Royal Buildings on the stonework at the top however. It's the row set back slightly between Hillsborough Road and Taplin Road.

Hilldweller.

Guest simonjo

Not strictly in Sheffield but just down the road from me in Mosborough. A couple of hundred yards below the Sitwell Arms in Renishaw are two houses, one has 'Constabulary' on it and the other I think is labelled 'Courthouse'. I've searched the net for info on these houses but can find no history whatsoever. Anyone have any info?

Some pictures of Manor Top Cop Shop (lot of words ending in -op in that lol ) taken today

The work on Manor Top Cop Shop continues.

Anyone got an ideas about when its due to reopen?

Guest Leipzig

Highfield Police Station, 243 & 245 London Road

Frederick Williams - Police Inspector

Frederick Denton - Superintendent

Austin Fretwell - Superintendent (E Division) (home 701 Chesterfield Road)

Picture from Google Street View:

Guest simonjo

Not strictly in Sheffield but just down the road from me in Mosborough. A couple of hundred yards below the Sitwell Arms in Renishaw are two houses, one has 'Constabulary' on it and the other I think is labelled 'Courthouse'. I've searched the net for info on these houses but can find no history whatsoever. Anyone have any info?

Google Streetview has finally gotten to Renishaw so thought I'd ask the question again, this time with a picture.

Google Streetview has finally gotten to Renishaw so thought I'd ask the question again, this time with a picture.

Kelly's directory of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, 1881, has the following in its Mosborough listing:

County Magistrates attending Petty Sessions here : —

T. W. Rodgers esq. Endcliffe vale

F. W. Bagshawe esq. The Oaks

W. P. Milner esq. Meersbrook

J. F. Swallow esq. Mosboro' Hill house

Captain L. B. Bowden, Balboro'

W. O. Blake esq. Sharrow house, Sharrow

H. Verelst esq. Aston hall

Magistrates' Clerk, Christopher William Alderson

Petty Sessions held at the Court house every alternate monday