Police Stations?

dunsbyowl1867

This used to be a police station. Not sure how long ago though. It's on stannington road

It's marked on the 1958 OS map as a Police Station, though before that it was the Queens Hotel, up to at least 1913.

This used to be a police station. Not sure how long ago though. It's on stannington road

I used to live there. its two flats. we lived in the upstairs one. This picture shows the old police station entrance and the cell windows. The old cell was the bathroom of the ground floor flat

Here are some cuttings from the papers following Constable Foster's career from 1882 to 1902. There are three collar numbers mentioned (213, 313 and 400) so not sure if there are different men or a change in number. As well as hopefully being interesting for his descendants, they illustrate the life of a Sheffield police constable in the late Victorian age.

Cutting #2

Alledged impudent robbery

From Dictionary.com

ULSTER - Ul·ster - a long, loose, heavy overcoat, originally of Irish frieze, now also of any of various other woolen cloths.

Guest boxhead

Here are some cuttings from the papers following Constable Foster's career from 1882 to 1902. There are three collar numbers mentioned (213, 313 and 400) so not sure if there are different men or a change in number. As well as hopefully being interesting for his descendants, they illustrate the life of a Sheffield police constable in the late Victorian age.

Edmund . . . . what can I say? Thank you so much for this. Absolutely wonderful! And greatly appreciated! I am not sure of my ancestors collar numbers but I will keep digging to find out. There must be info somewhere that is available. But I agree with you, this is a fascinating insight in to the life of a policeman in the time. He lived at 50 Danville Street, Brightside Bierlow from 1881-1889 at least, and then in 1901 he was living at a station in Burton Road.

Hi Steve, Downham Road was parallel to Horninglow, where I lived and I can't remember if the name changed at Tideswell Road to Ribble Way. All I do know is that they took away the best Play Ground ever in the Fifties to build those Police houses and the Station. To knock them down after only fifty years, they must have been Jerry Built.

Walkley Divisional Police Station, Langsett Road

Caleb Coggins - Resident Inspector

Francis Joseph Brownlee - Resident Inspector

Horace Webb - Chief Divisional Superintendent

John W Plant - Resident Superintendent

attachicon.gifwalkley_cop_shop.jpg

Google Street View

post-1014-1257699323.jpg

Nice to see this building has survived. Even the original doors have remained...

$_57.JPG