Another Funeral Mystery

Stuart0742

Another in the mystery funeral locations courtesy of John Heath and sons

Any idea where this is, I think I have an idea but what do you think

Between Weston Park and Broomhill ? Can't remember the name of the Road - just a punt.

I love these pictures, but they do my head in !

I'll have a stab at West Street.

Probably way off, but the building on the left made me think immediately of St John's church on Penistone Rd, something about the angle I think.

It was the 3 story buildings that made me think, Abbeydale Rd opposite the roan Catholic Church, is it St Ronans?

Looks really similar but there's no junction on the left at St Ronans.

We need a junction on the left, 3 story houses opposite, and (what appears to be) a junction 100yds down on the right.

Also the ones in that row have all got 1st and 2nd floor bay windows.

Certainly could be somewhere on Abbeydale Rd though.

Could it be Fullwood Road ?

picturesheffield s15992

I like it but I'm not 100% convinced.

Is the road on the left Taptonville Rd ? if so the corner is not round enough. (Unless it's been drastically altered)

I like it but I'm not 100% convinced.

Is the road on the left Taptonville Rd ? if so the corner is not round enough. (Unless it's been drastically altered)

No not Taptonville, you would not see that amount of buildings from Taptonville, try Lawson/Manchester Road,

I'm still not 100% sure

I thought that memorial looked familiar - I posted this a while ago. It is a memorial to Leonard Hedley Burrows (died 1940) in Shiregreen Cemetary. It looks the same design but there looks to be too many buildings around for Shiregreen. I went to middle school across the way and there were remains of an old brick works on Shiregreen Lane. The only building at Shiregreen I can recall is the Lodge at the gates although others may have been demolished?

Mmmm yes - see what you mean now - that's more likely Steve

Percentage is going up for me. ^_^

The source of the photo is the same as previous ones, it is described as a funeral

I thought that memorial looked familiar - I posted this a while ago. It is a memorial to Leonard Hedley Burrows (died 1940) in Shiregreen Cemetary. It looks the same design but there looks to be too many buildings around for Shiregreen. I went to middle school across the way and there were remains of an old brick works on Shiregreen Lane. The only building at Shiregreen I can recall is the Lodge at the gates although others may have been demolished?

Looking on a 1934 map I would say you are correct dunsby, the photographer was facing south.

The source of the photo is the same as previous ones, it is described as a funeral

OK I see but:

The memorial looks very much like the focus of some attention though.

There's something draped across the plinth on the right, and what could be a broad ribbon going diagonally up and across the other side.

Looking on a 1934 map I would say you are correct dunsby, the photographer was facing south.

And the other small cross looks the same as well.

(See flickr photo in post 37)

I am not 100% convinced :blink:

The Burrows memorial is sited in the cemetary near the entrance on this picture sheffield photo - it is on the corner of the smal tri angular piece of grass with 2 trees by it side

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29w01074%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVNoaXJlZ3JlZW5fQ2VtZXRlcnklMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

On this photo you can see a view from Wincobank looking toward the Cemetery and you can see 2 chimneys at the brick works on Shiregreen Lane

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29u04893%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVNoaXJlZ3JlZW5fQ2VtZXRlcnklMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

You can see the Burrows memorial on here to the right. This is a view looking from the other side of the photo what I refered to as a triangluar piece of grass but isn't! - that is of course we are correct!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/401199

I was also a bit foxed by the original photo but looking more closely it looks like there is some ghosting of some buildings in front of what would be wincobank hill

If this photo is from Grapevine Stuart - & it is Burrows you'd think they'd keep their records and photos in better order. Or do they know and it's a quiz?

http://content.yudu....esources/18.htm

I'd suggest the photo isn't the funeral but rather the unvieling of the memorial stone some time afterwards? Possible given the absence of clergy and presence of lots of ordinary folk & children. There is a chap in army uniform in the middle which would perhaps during WW2

OK I see but:

The memorial looks very much like the focus of some attention though.

There's something draped across the plinth on the right, and what could be a broad ribbon going diagonally up and across the other side.

I'd suggest the photo isn't the funeral but rather the unvieling of the memorial stone some time afterwards? Possible given the absence of clergy and presence of lots of ordinary folk & children. There is a chap in army uniform in the middle which would perhaps during WW2

That seems very likely to me Dunsby

To my mind the memorial looks a little weathered, as if it's been there some time. The smaller cross by comparison looks brand new. The plinth stones of the Burrows memorial look a little uneven as if they've settled.

The structure by the memorial looks as if it might be a temporary thing to protect it during an internment.

Bearing in mind that the vault wouldn't be directly beneath the heavy memorial. Perhaps it is a later family internment into the vault, Mrs. Burrows perhaps ?

HD

Edit.

Further to above the close-up of the memorial on the other thread shows that his wife died in 1934.

Perhaps the family memorial was erected after her death and the photo shows the Bishops funeral.

Just a thought.

HD

If this photo is from Grapevine Stuart - & it is Burrows you'd think they'd keep their records and photos in better order. Or do they know and it's a quiz?

http://content.yudu....esources/18.htm

Yes its from the Grapevine and the page "written" by Jason Heath.

He never lets on he knows the answer, I don't think he does

The things you do when you're bored.

I've been looking up designs for family vaults on the t'internet and found that they are constructed with brick or concrete walls with a roof made of long stone or concrete slabs. I reckon that the things covered by sheeting behind the memorial are the cover slabs which are normally covered by earth and grass.

I reckon the internment has just taken place in front of the memorial where the "sash thingy" for lowering the coffin can be seen.

My money's on his nibs the Bishop.

HD

Yes its from the Grapevine and the page "written" by Jason Heath.

He never lets on he knows the answer, I don't think he does

Has anybody else noticed something odd about the Grapevine article ?

In the advert panel at the bottom, one of the branches is given as Earbash Street instead of Earsham street.

Some-one has let his spell check run riot.

HD