Another Funeral Mystery

Stuart0742

Excellent stuff and no idea !

Was it usual to have that many people carrying a coffin ? I can imagine mine taking eight plus a crane ...

big emphasis required on the buildings, methinks.

Scott Road entrance to Burngreave Cemy ?

I'd be pretty sure it's not Burngreave deansgirl. The cemetery buildings were used by an organisation that I do work for and I've been in them all on numerous occasions.

The ones at Scott Road entrance are much closer to the roadway/pathway.

Edit:

I realised it's actually the side view of the house, so it could be taken from the first pathway off to the left but, although it's very similar, the building is a slightly different shape and the roof-line is different. (Looking at the aerial view of the building.)

Also I think we're looking for somewhere which has terraced houses on the Cemetery side of the road, and to the left of the entrance from our view (By the look of the roofs in the background) Not the case at Scott Rd Burngreave.

Anyone agree/disagree ?

Guest Trefcon

My money is still on Burngreave.

The house in the original image is identical to the images i took this morning. Same roof line, same chimney's, same lean to on the lower left of the house, same hedge in front, but a lot more overgrown than the original! The stone wall and railings now round the house are new additions.

The roof line at the rear of the house would be the housing on the other side of Scott Road to the cemy. In both cases the roof line is lower than the houses.

Dean.

I think deansgirl is spot on with this one.

The stonework on the building matches exactly both on the end of the house and the top chimney, PLUS the white looking grave stone behind the coffin just ahead of the front bearer is in deansgirls picture today - far right but not so white. As are the other two grave stones ahead of the coffin.

Think you should write to grapevine and claim your prize!

My money is still on Burngreave.

The house in the original image is identical to the images i took this morning. Same roof line, same chimney's, same lean to on the lower left of the house, same hedge in front, but a lot more overgrown than the original! The stone wall and railings now round the house are new additions.

The roof line at the rear of the house would be the housing on the other side of Scott Road to the cemy. In both cases the roof line is lower than the houses.

Dean.

You are, of course, as right as a correct person Dean.

I haven't got any Humble Pie so I've just had a Custard Cream. Hope that'll do. lol

A

Guest Trefcon

Hope you dunked that custard cream, i hate em' dry!

If i could expand this a little, i have had a long running friendly 'feud' with various people on various forum's. In Burngreave cemy, on the main path that runs right through it, there use to be a small pavilion. I say it was square, wooden sided half way up and then glass. Inside there were benche's that ran alongside each wall. There were two double doors at either end, so you could walk down the main path, through the pavilion and straight back onto the main path. There was also a path around the edge of the pavilion mirroring the square of the building.

My 'foes' insist it was round.

It is now gone. I have searched for images of it but have failed miserably!

Anyone help?

Dean.

Think you should write to grapevine and claim your prize!

Think you should write to grapevine and claim your prize and get SheffieldHistory a mention in the next Grapevine issue :rolleyes:

Hope you dunked that custard cream, i hate em' dry!

If i could expand this a little, i have had a long running friendly 'feud' with various people on various forum's. In Burngreave cemy, on the main path that runs right through it, there use to be a small pavilion. I say it was square, wooden sided half way up and then glass. Inside there were benche's that ran alongside each wall. There were two double doors at either end, so you could walk down the main path, through the pavilion and straight back onto the main path. There was also a path around the edge of the pavilion mirroring the square of the building.

My 'foes' insist it was round.

It is now gone. I have searched for images of it but have failed miserably!

Anyone help?

Dean.

Looks like you both might be correct. From this map it shows a square building with a circular path around it. Is this the one you're thinking of?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=6062

Guest Trefcon

Thats the one Mike.

As i say, a square building.

I confess now, the reason i am certain about the shape is because the cemy was one of my 'playgrounds' as a kid. I only lived 100 yards from it. I also use to 'wag it', and spend part of the day in the pavilion!!

I wonder if Heath's would know?

Dean.

Bumping this back up, posted last weekend

Think I have abandoned my first thought of .. Christ Church Heeley.

Could that be a Webb Patent Sewer Gas Destructor Lamp on the L/H side,

weren't they only placed on the higher ground areas?

Think I have abandoned my first thought of .. Christ Church Heeley.

Could that be a Webb Patent Sewer Gas Destructor Lamp on the L/H side,

weren't they only placed on the higher ground areas?

Depends on what you call "higher" Steve. There's one on Stuart Road, Sharrow Vale. (The bottom part near The Porter Cottage)

Another in the mystery funeral locations courtesy of John Heath and sons

Any idea where this is, I think I have an idea but what do you think

Between Weston Park and Broomhill ? Can't remember the name of the Road - just a punt.

I love these pictures, but they do my head in !

I'll have a stab at West Street.

Probably way off, but the building on the left made me think immediately of St John's church on Penistone Rd, something about the angle I think.

Probably way off, but the building on the left made me think immediately of St John's church on Penistone Rd, something about the angle I think.

It was the 3 story buildings that made me think, Abbeydale Rd opposite the roan Catholic Church, is it St Ronans?

It was the 3 story buildings that made me think, Abbeydale Rd opposite the roan Catholic Church, is it St Ronans?

Looks really similar but there's no junction on the left at St Ronans.

We need a junction on the left, 3 story houses opposite, and (what appears to be) a junction 100yds down on the right.

Also the ones in that row have all got 1st and 2nd floor bay windows.

Certainly could be somewhere on Abbeydale Rd though.