Keith Kettleborough

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Keith Kettleborough, who has died at the age of 74, was an outstanding all-round sportsman, and one of the most decent men I ever met. He hailed from Rotherham, and started his senior football career at Millmoor, later joining Sheffield United. He then had a spell at Newcastle, and later served Doncaster Rovers (including a phase as player-manager) and Chesterfield. Keith was an inside-forward, what we used to call a schemer. He was also a very good local cricketer and was for many years a popular figure at Rotherham Town. He deserves to be remembered with affection by Blades supporters.

Keith Kettleborough, who has died at the age of 74, was an outstanding all-round sportsman, and one of the most decent men I ever met. He hailed from Rotherham, and started his senior football career at Millmoor, later joining Sheffield United. He then had a spell at Newcastle, and later served Doncaster Rovers (including a phase as player-manager) and Chesterfield. Keith was an inside-forward, what we used to call a schemer. He was also a very good local cricketer and was for many years a popular figure at Rotherham Town. He deserves to be remembered with affection by Blades supporters.

Didn't know him personally but I remember watching him along with all the other greats of his day, Len Allchurch, Billy Hodgson, Doc Pace, Joe Shaw, Gerry Summers etc etc. The names roll off the tongue because the team hardly changed from year to year. I remember him as a fierce competitor and he was the first player I ever saw sent off at Bramall Lane. It was in the first half of the game, my friend and I had never seen anyone sent off before and we were sure he would come back on in the second half! He's definitely remembered with affection by this Blades supporter.

Didn't know him personally but I remember watching him along with all the other greats of his day, Len Allchurch, Billy Hodgson, Doc Pace, Joe Shaw, Gerry Summers etc etc. The names roll off the tongue because the team hardly changed from year to year. I remember him as a fierce competitor and he was the first player I ever saw sent off at Bramall Lane. It was in the first half of the game, my friend and I had never seen anyone sent off before and we were sure he would come back on in the second half! He's definitely remembered with affection by this Blades supporter.

I think that Kettleborough made his debut in a home game against Bristol Rovers, and United ended up losing 3-2 after leading 2-0. One of his best games for United was against Wednesday at Hillsborough in Feb 62, when Pace scored both goals in a 2-1 victory.

Guest diggerman

Guest diggerman

Also remember Keith getting sent off in that match-a rarity in those days.Can recall he picked a large piece of mud and threw it in the direction of thr ref and the player involved.The crowd were in shock.God rest Keith RIP.............

Also remember Keith getting sent off in that match-a rarity in those days.Can recall he picked a large piece of mud and threw it in the direction of thr ref and the player involved.The crowd were in shock.God rest Keith RIP.............

Shades of Eric Cantona!!