Sheffield Airport

dunsbyowl1867

Start to finish, I know nothing of Sheffield City Airport, not a thing.

Is their a potted history/timeline of events somewhere please ? I do recall thinking it was a joke, but, in my many years away I never knew what was built, where and when ? Did it get into service; was it a success at first ?

In the newspaper article I don't know who/what "Peel" refers to ?

Start to finish, I know nothing of Sheffield City Airport, not a thing.

Is their a potted history/timeline of events somewhere please ? I do recall thinking it was a joke, but, in my many years away I never knew what was built, where and when ? Did it get into service; was it a success at first ?

In the newspaper article I don't know who/what "Peel" refers to ?

Peel refers to the Peel Group, who own The Trafford Centre, Liverpool Airport & Robin Hood Airport amongst others. Perhaps no coincidence that Peel's involvement with the development of Robin Hood Airport led to the purchase and rundown of Sheffield City Airport.

Wikipedia has a useful article about the airport (subject to the usual Wikipedia caveats!)

Peel refers to the Peel Group, who own The Trafford Centre, Liverpool Airport & Robin Hood Airport amongst others. Perhaps no coincidence that Peel's involvement with the development of Robin Hood Airport led to the purchase and rundown of Sheffield City Airport.

Wikipedia has a useful article about the airport (subject to the usual Wikipedia caveats!)

Thank you Madannie77, I know something about it now.

This must be classed as a historical photo, a plane taking off! (or landing)

So when was it taken and what plane is it?

Twin engined 6 blade propellors?

So when was it taken and what plane is it?

Twin engined 6 blade propellors?

Not sure of the date Dave, must have been just after it opened judging by the surrounding buildings or lack of them.

As to the plane I believe in the early days of the airport KLM used Fokkers to fly to Amsterdam.

Guest transit

Not sure of the date Dave, must have been just after it opened judging by the surrounding buildings or lack of them.

As to the plane I believe in the early days of the airport KLM used Fokkers to fly to Amsterdam.

....dont know what plane it was , but them Fokkers used to make a right noise !!!!!! he he

Could be a Fokker (Dutch aircraft)

When did the airport open then?

I will GUESS at 1991

How else would we get all those foreign students here for the World Student Games.

...and of course money was no object for that event, - I think we are still paying for it in council tax!! :o :(