Owlerton power station

pgmetcalf

Hi folks,

Does anyone remember how many cooling towers were at Owlerton power station?

Ta

the picture im looking at, 3

mick

mmmm interesting, was the big black factory part of the power station? I seem to remember that the factory part was set up the embankment away from the cooling towers and there were track running into the factory but I'm not sure these were linked to the railway.

Guest beemerboy

Brammall and Ogdens demolished the cooling towers around1976,I worked at a local garage and on the site was a leyland 680 engine which powered the generator to work the lifts,at the time was a union dispute and water kept appearing in the fuel tank so it was me who went to bleed the system to get it going or they could'nt work,the boss asked me if i'like to go up the lift and I said yes I could'nt wait,biiiiig mistake,passing bricks comes to mind,I was clinging to the scaffolding for my life whilst all the fellas were going about their work laughing at my terror but what a view was well worth passing all those bricks!!!!!!!!!!!

Were there really three cooling towers? I have a photo taken, from Kymie's Hill (Cuthbert Bank Road), circa 1950 that only shows two towers and one chimney. Unless one tower is obscured when viewed from that angle?

Were there really three cooling towers? I have a photo taken, from Kymie's Hill (Cuthbert Bank Road), circa 1950 that only shows two towers and one chimney. Unless one tower is obscured when viewed from that angle?

See I have just repaired the broken links to the picturesheffield site,

and seen as it is your first post, welcome to SheffieldHistory.

Back in the early 60's(?) the son of my Mum's next door neighbour graduated from University with an engineering degree. He went to work for the Generating Board, and his first design job was a new cooling tower at Ferrybridge. He achieved fame cos that was the one that blew down shortly afterwards! Apparently no allowance was made for the wind effect of the towers in the pattern they were laid out.

The last tower was built around 1950.

On 5/27/2012 at 14:58, Bayleaf said:

Back in the early 60's(?) the son of my Mum's next door neighbour graduated from University with an engineering degree. He went to work for the Generating Board, and his first design job was a new cooling tower at Ferrybridge. He achieved fame cos that was the one that blew down shortly afterwards! Apparently no allowance was made for the wind effect of the towers in the pattern they were laid out.

my father worked as a steel fixer at ferrybridge and he always thought not enough steel was put in some of the cooling towers.

20 hours ago, David Szpajer said:

my father worked as a steel fixer at ferrybridge and he always thought not enough steel was put in some of the cooling towers.

It was more than 1 of the cooling towers that blew down at Ferrybridge. The ones facing the wind were intact but the ones behind had only the bases left. It was claimed that the wind was accelerated as it blew around the front ones creating a vortex that damaged the back ones