Survey Mark

vox

Here is the Benchmark Jeremy mentions

But the Flush Bracket - S0469 (Same type as the one in Bakewell) is on the bridge on Blonk Street.

But the Flush Bracket - S0469 (Same type as the one in Bakewell) is on the bridge on Blonk Street.

There should be quite a few of the chiselled arrowhead type like the one on the cathedral. But from what I can tell (and I may be wrong) S0469 on Blonk Street and S0481 in Handsworth are the only flush bracket type marks in Sheffield.

A "modern" water hydrant point (by modern I mean "metric", - not much good if you have an Imperial hydrant to "steal" water for your engines boiler. :o )

I remember some years ago reading that fresh water points in naval dockyards used by Nato had to have a different type of adaptor for each country's ships, as there was no standard connection!

Just found another of these modern ones.

Noticed it as I got out of the van.

Wilkinson Street.

How come the front number plate of your van is different from the rear one? :blink:

Isn't that illegal lol

How come the front number plate of your van is different from the rear one? :blink:

Isn't that illegal lol

The personalised registration was expensive and I'm paying in installments. :(

I've only paid about 1/2 of it, so I thought I'd better not use them both 'till they're fully paid for. :)

Right where the map (and database) say it should be. Looks in good condition to say that it's been there over 100 years.

Here is the Blonk St Bridge Benchmark

Came across this at the top of Herdings Hill (where the 2, formerly 3, tower blocks stand) while I was photographing the new roof job on the old farmhouse / youth club.

I assume it is some sort of survey marker due to its elevated location and the fittings on the top

Looks as though it would take a theodolite tripod quite nicely, and at just about the right height for use by a man of average height.

The view in one direction looks out over Herdings Park and the old Norton aerodrome site

The view the other way is rather spoilt by those tower blocks, - but they probably weren't even built (late 1950's) when the surveying point was used.

Anyone know precisely what this is and what was used for and when ?

Came across this at the top of Herdings Hill (where the 2, formerly 3, tower blocks stand) while I was photographing the new roof job on the old farmhouse / youth club.

I assume it is some sort of survey marker due to its elevated location and the fittings on the top

Looks as though it would take a theodolite tripod quite nicely, and at just about the right height for use by a man of average height.

The view in one direction looks out over Herdings Park and the old Norton aerodrome site

The view the other way is rather spoilt by those tower blocks, - but they probably weren't even built (late 1950's) when the surveying point was used.

It's a Trigpoint, grid ref: SK374830

Streetmap

www.trigpointinguk.com

It's a Trigpoint, grid ref: SK374830

Streetmap

www.trigpointinguk.com

So it was definately used for surveying the area then.

Still be nice to know when and for what purpose as it seems to predate the local estates.

Can we find any more of these in and around Sheffield?

So it was definately used for surveying the area then.

Still be nice to know when and for what purpose as it seems to predate the local estates.

Can we find any more of these in and around Sheffield?

Some but not all, are listed on the site View Trigpoint List

For some strange reason your find is down as being in Dronfield :blink:

Some but not all, are listed on the site View Trigpoint List

For some strange reason your find is down as being in Dronfield :blink:

Probably not that strange Steve, it depends, as I have sort of indicated previously, on the age of the triangulation point.

Herdings is currently in Sheffield S14 and the estates were built there in the second half of the 1950's

Before that most of this land was farmland and open woodland.

I am not sure exactly when this land became part of the expanding City of Sheffield, but before that it was part of Derbyshire, as were other southern parts of the City like Norton S8, which was definately in Derbyshire around 1910 when Harold Armitage wrote his book on it called "Chantrey Land".

If the Herdings was in Derbyshire at the time the trig point was erected it was probably part of the Rural district of Dronfield.

It would be nice if I could find the exact site of that Elizabethan windmill which was supposed to have been on Herdings Hill in the 16th Century, though not much chance of that.

Further to earlier replies, many years ago I borrowed a large book about the OS which gave full details about the trig-point network which I believe was started in 1936. The book showed a diagram of a typical trig-point and seemed to indicate that the concrete column was sited besides a buried chamber made of concrete and covered with concrete beams. On the floor of this chamber was an arrangement of mountings for taking very accurate sightings using a theodolite on a tower. The text said that the column was to be used for normal repeat surveys and the chamber would be dug up at very long intervals for precise checks.

Perhaps only certain main trig-points were equipped in this way although the one one Loxley Common seemed to have a lot of concrete around it when I was a lad.

Now of course all made obsolete by modern GPS technology.

HD

Further to earlier replies, many years ago I borrowed a large book about the OS which gave full details about the trig-point network which I believe was started in 1936. The book showed a diagram of a typical trig-point and seemed to indicate that the concrete column was sited besides a buried chamber made of concrete and covered with concrete beams. On the floor of this chamber was an arrangement of mountings for taking very accurate sightings using a theodolite on a tower. The text said that the column was to be used for normal repeat surveys and the chamber would be dug up at very long intervals for precise checks.

Perhaps only certain main trig-points were equipped in this way although the one one Loxley Common seemed to have a lot of concrete around it when I was a lad.

Now of course all made obsolete by modern GPS technology.

HD

So if the Herdings one dates to around 1936, a good 20 years before the estate was built, its a fair bet that the land would have been in Derbyshire and part of the borough of Dronfield.