Wagon Wheels

MDC

Hi all Sheffielders. When I was a kid at school in the 70's and 80's I absolutely loved school puddings. They don't seem to make them anymore as my kids will attest to. The thing is, I keep remembering my favourate, which my school called "Wagon Wheels". They were a shortbread type of biscuit with a chocolate flavoured swirl surrounded by, I think, a vanilla flovoured swirl and served with chocolate custard. The only place that I have ever seen them is a bakery in Woodseats. I bought some once but I don't know if memory changes over time but they didn't seem the same. Does anyone remember them? If so does anyone have the recipe as my wife says she will bake me some.

Hi all Sheffielders. When I was a kid at school in the 70's and 80's I absolutely loved school puddings. They don't seem to make them anymore as my kids will attest to. The thing is, I keep remembering my favourate, which my school called "Wagon Wheels". They were a shortbread type of biscuit with a chocolate flavoured swirl surrounded by, I think, a vanilla flovoured swirl and served with chocolate custard. The only place that I have ever seen them is a bakery in Woodseats. I bought some once but I don't know if memory changes over time but they didn't seem the same. Does anyone remember them? If so does anyone have the recipe as my wife says she will bake me some.

Its a long time since I used to make them but basically what you do is make shortbread you can find lot's of recipes for that. Then you split it in 2 and you put cocoa in 1 half. Then roll each half into rectangles the same size put the chocolate one on top and roll them up into a big swiss roll. Then cut into 1/2 " slices. I will see if I can find you a recipe as I used to make them a lot for my kids but then again that was in the 60s and 70s.