Breweries, pubs and beers

GrinderBloke

Pubs have got decent coverage here already, but nobody has posted photos of anything relation to Sheffield's breweries and the beers they produced.

I can remember only 5 breweries:

Hope

Ladysbridge

Cannon

Kelham Island

Wards (did it have another name)

Does anyone have photos of the breweries, or the advertising materials used to promote the beers, iindeed I would love to see a scan of something as simple as a Wards beer mat!

Does anyone have photos of the breweries, or the advertising materials used to promote the beers, iindeed I would love to see a scan of something as simple as a Wards beer mat!

I have a Wards ashtray somewhere (bought from eBay, not stolen) ... dunno where it is at the moment.

More beer memoribilia anyone ? T-Shirts, Chandy/Shandy the 1960's promotional lion, posters, promotions, Wet-T-Shirt Nights (steady on ...), competitions, Pub team sports, trophies etc.

How do I remember Chandy/Shandy ??

One or two more mentioned on here :rolleyes:

http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/YorksSouth.htm

Pubs have got decent coverage here already, but nobody has posted photos of anything relation to Sheffield's breweries and the beers they produced.

Hope

Ladysbridge

Cannon

Kelham Island

The Cannon Brewery at Neepsend, Bass/Stones

Bass/Stones on Claywheels lane

Tetleys on Herries Road

Used to like The Royal Lances on Penistone Road. A Whitbread pub if I remember.

Hope

Ladysbridge

Cannon

Kelham Island

Tennant Brothers - Established 1820

Crown Brewery

A modern version of the Crown Brewery still exists as a microbrewery in the cellar of the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road

Crown Brewery, Hillsborough Hotel

They are still making small quantities of excellent beers with interesting local names like

Hilssborough Pale Ale

Stannington Stout

A modern version of the Crown Brewery still exists as a microbrewery in the cellar of the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road

They are still making small quantities of excellent beers with interesting local names like

Hilssborough Pale Ale

Stannington Stout

At the risk of getting shouted at again (not you Dave), this was the Wellington and well before that the "Hero and His Horse" - also the site of the Crown Brewery; the scrapyard formerly at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane (Link Fairy) (now flats ? Boo-Hiss), with the blackened arches was likely part of the Crown Brewery since the original Horse Barracks were wooden built and in a right state by the late 1840's. So quite a historic site.

Hilssborough Pale Ale

Stannington Stout

One of the guys involved in the Crown microbrewery / Hillsborough Hotel was a member of Sheffield Steam club and about 8 years ago we used to have a few of our "meetings", - which included a brewery tour (a small cellar room) and quite a fair bit of drinking.

At the time I was the newsletter editor and he gave me an article about the brewery for the newsletter, and I also did articles advertising meetings there and reports on the nights "entertainment".

If I can find anything about it in my old newsletters I'll post it on here.

If I can find anything about it in my old newsletters I'll post it on here.

Article by me from Sheffield & District Steam society Newsletter of March 2002

Last Months Meeting, The Hillsborough Hotel

The meeting on Wednesday 6 February 2002 was held at The Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road, Sheffield 6 with our hosts Del Tilling and Brian Hendry who run the hotel and The Crown brewery. A series of articles on brewing at the Crown Brewery has previously been published in this newsletter and it was now our turn, by special invitation, (the hotel bar is usually closed Monday to Wednesday) to sample the beer and visit the brewery. The bar has 4 of its own beers and up to 15 guest beers available but it was the 4 beers of its own, brewed downstairs in the Crown Brewery cellar and available in the bar drawn by Del using traditional hand pumps. These beers were HPA (Hillsborough Pale Ale) which most people drunk and thought an excellent pint, Stannington Stout, a traditional strong (5.0% ABV) dark stout, more suitable to some tastes than others perhaps but very much enjoyed by many of our members, Mappins IPA, a very strong pale ale (5.2% ABV), a new brew just brought on tap the very evening we were visiting and not officially available until the following day and another beer I didn’t get to sample on the fourth pump, this may have been Loxley Gold or one of the breweries numbered test beers. About 30 members were present and due to the small size of the Crown brewery our trip around it, guided by Brian Hendry took place in two smaller groups, one at 8:30 and one at 9:00. This was very interesting and backed up the previous articles in the newsletter. The bar prices were very reasonable and a fair few pints were sampled before the evening was out, sensibly most members who normally drive from the south east of Sheffield chose to come on the Supertram and so had a safe journey home. Del and Brian were excellent hosts and we would like to thank them for putting on such an excellent evening. We hope other evenings like this may be possible in the future but in the mean time if anyone would like to visit the Hillsborough Hotel during their normal opening hours details are available from The Hillsborough Hotel, 54 - 58 Langsett Road, Sheffield S6 2UB. Telephone 0114 2322100 or alternatively details are available on the Internet at www.crownbrewery.com